Puukko

This forum is for discussing and showing off anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Puukko

Postby Quick Steel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Acccording to a recording courtesy of google, a Finn pronounces it like ....poo a cow. For myself, I'll just continue with poo ko. The Sami people developed several belt knives, the smallest being the pukko.
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 am

Here is a fantastic knife that is not a full puukko. The blade is all puukko, forged by Altti Kankaanpaa an old highly regarded Finnish smith. The handle was made by a knife maker in North Carolina. The blade is 4 1/8" and the handle a full 5" is very comfortable in hand. This long handle enables one to apply more pressure on the blade if needed. Handle is comprised of: brass, stacked leather rings, buffalo horn and "leopardwood".
This handle makes the knife heavier than a true puukko which is lighter in weight with a plain handle, oval in cross section & no guard.
The sheath can be worn as a dangler or on the belt. The snap in fit of the knife is more 'positive' than i have ever experienced. There is an audible 'click' as the knife seats itself. Although only the very end of handle is exposed, and the fit is snug, i can still extract the knife easily. The quality of this sheath is as good as any i have ever owned. It is right up there with a Bob Dozier(not the shop knives, but the ones Bob makes himself) or Burt Foster made sheath. I have never had a better sheath.
Knife maker did not charge me enough. After receiving this knife i suggested he immediately double his prices. Buyers will still be thrilled.
A big Thanks to Calvin for telling me of this knife maker who is selling on ebay.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5234.JPG
IMGP5235.JPG
IMGP5236.JPG
IMGP5237.JPG

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:26 am

Interesting to me is how the maker gently curved the handle to meld with a lower guard. I prefer a lower guard on the appropriate fixed blade which of course the traditional puukko does not have. I think the maker's treatment of that handle/guard fixture is exceptional. And of course the entire knife is a beauty. ::tu:: :) ::tu::
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Thanks. How the handle works/feels in hand is also quite exceptional. It just naturally sits with palm swell centered in my hand with good balance and blade in a position to use.
There is more to a handle than good workmanship. You need some sort of talent that enables you to know how to create a natural fit; design is 'everything'.
kj

zzyzzogeton

Postby zzyzzogeton » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:46 am

Hey Cal (tongueriver), could you re-post the pic of your Western 68BG that you posted back in 2012?

You used pukebucket back then so the pic is gone.

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 pm

zzyzzogeton wrote:Hey Cal (tongueriver), could you re-post the pic of your Western 68BG that you posted back in 2012?

You used pukebucket back then so the pic is gone.

PM sent.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:29 am

Here is a puukko made by Finnish smith Rauno Vainionpaa. OAL 6 7/8" with 4" handle and 2 7/8" blade. The sheath is sturdy and well formed. The snap in fit is tight, need to pull while wiggling handle in a rotating movement to extract the knife. Very secure and not a quick draw !
This knife is pure essential puukko: a small plain knife with oval handle which is longer than blade, no guard, forged blade with no secondary grind needed to form the very sharp edge. They edge hold for a long time.
Dangler sheath with a small knife like this never gets in the way making this The Perfect EDC.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5337.JPG
IMGP5338.JPG
IMGP5339.JPG
IMGP5340.JPG

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby doglegg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Roland, I like the size and the handle and the sheath. That is a perfect little carry knife. ::nod:: ::tu::

jmh58
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jmh58 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:50 pm

WOW!! Yinz are showin some F.I.N.E. PUukkos!!!! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu:: John :D
..a great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!

Son.. You need to get off the front porch once in a while!!

Not all who wander are lost!!!

All it takes is a little bit of sharp!!

Tony_Wood
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Tony_Wood » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:10 pm

kootenay joe wrote:Here is a puukko made by Finnish smith Rauno Vainionpaa. OAL 6 7/8" with 4" handle and 2 7/8" blade. The sheath is sturdy and well formed. The snap in fit is tight, need to pull while wiggling handle in a rotating movement to extract the knife. Very secure and not a quick draw !
This knife is pure essential puukko: a small plain knife with oval handle which is longer than blade, no guard, forged blade with no secondary grind needed to form the very sharp edge. They edge hold for a long time.
Dangler sheath with a small knife like this never gets in the way making this The Perfect EDC.
kj

That is a beaut!
Makes me want to go and build one.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Tony, do you forge your blades ? A forged blade is needed to be a puukko. You can buy blades forged by top level Finnish 'Smiths'.
Here is my other "Pure Puukko", this one was made by Pasi Jaakonaho, one of the 7 Finnish "Master" Smiths. The handle has been carved to shape and is more typical of a Finnish knife having greater girth than the RV knife. I carry this one and it can cut anything a big knife can.
The experience of holding and using a knife like this is unlike that of any other knife. It is compact yet so efficient, natural & pleasing.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5375.JPG
IMGP5376.JPG
IMGP5377.JPG
IMGP5378.JPG
IMGP5379.JPG

zzyzzogeton

Postby zzyzzogeton » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:26 am

Can anyone ID the puuko John Wayne carried in the 1930 movie, The Big Trail, his first starring role? Since the movie came out in 1930, the knife must have been made in 1929 or earlier.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:12 pm

A young John Wayne, never seen a picture before.
The handle and pommel are typically Finnish. It might be typical to one area in Finland and therefore likely to have come from a knife factory in that area.
Odd that a 1930's Hollywood knife prop was not one of the many USA fixed blades. I'm sure in 1930 Finnish knives were less known or encountered than they are today and they are not often seen today.
kj

Tony_Wood
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Tony_Wood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:01 pm

kootenay joe wrote:Tony, do you forge your blades ? A forged blade is needed to be a puukko. You can buy blades forged by top level Finnish 'Smiths'.
Here is my other "Pure Puukko", this one was made by Pasi Jaakonaho, one of the 7 Finnish "Master" Smiths. The handle has been carved to shape and is more typical of a Finnish knife having greater girth than the RV knife. I carry this one and it can cut anything a big knife can.
The experience of holding and using a knife like this is unlike that of any other knife. It is compact yet so efficient, natural & pleasing.
kj

Yes sir, I do forge my own blades. It is the most fulfilling part of the process.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Tony perhaps you could post a few pictures of puukko work in progress ? And pictures of finished Puukko for sure .
kj

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”