Puukko

This forum is for discussing and showing off anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
jmh58
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Puukko

Postby jmh58 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Very KOOL KJ !!! ::tu:: ::nod::
John :D
..a great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!

Son.. You need to get off the front porch once in a while!!

Not all who wander are lost!!!

All it takes is a little bit of sharp!!

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Here are 4 traditional puukko style knives i just bought on ebay. I don't have them yet so these are the seller's pictures. Both have been used but blades are in excellent condition with original sharp pointy tip present. Tip often gets rounded off by sharpening. One is not marked as to maker and sheath although correct in style is made of rawhide which is not traditional for Finland or Scandinavian knives. OAL 8.5", handle is 4.5" and blade 4". The other is an old Swedish "Frost" brand with a checkered handle. Length was not specified but i think size is similar to the first knife. Seller says this knife feels "heavy". Might be checkered bone ? Frost was not known for fancy knives. They made good quality knives for working people to use, so this one is unusual.
I really like this style of a barrel shaped handle that is a bit longer than the blade, no guard, and with a narrow straight blade with a sharp pointy tip.
Comments are welcome.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (16).jpg
s-l1600 (17).jpg

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:07 pm

For comparison here is a knife made about 10 ? years ago by Pasi Jaakonaho, one of 7 Finnish knife smiths with the title of "Master Smith".
The pattern is similar to the 2 knives shown in above post.
kj
Attachments
IMGP4299.JPG

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:53 am

Here is one of the 2 puukkos i posted above. 8 1/4" OAL with handle slightly longer than blade which is rhomboid in cross section makes this a true traditional style puukko. The shaeth design is also traditional except that it is made of rawhide which is not seen with vintage puukkos.
There is one traditional style Swedish 'smith' who has used rawhide for a few of his knives, Thomas Lofgren. If anyone has the google-foo needed to find an email address for Mr. Lofgren i would like to ask him if he made this knife and sheath. It is a very well made very sharp knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7200.JPG
IMGP7201.JPG
IMGP7202.JPG
IMGP7204.JPG
IMGP7205.JPG
IMGP7206.JPG
IMGP7207.JPG

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:46 pm

By Thomas Lofgren.

P1030357 (2).JPG
P1030358 (2).JPG
P1030356 (2).JPG
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Thomas is in Sweden and he makes quite a range of mostly 'fancy' knives, like yours. How do you like the in hand feel of this one ? And is the edge very sharp ? Do you think it could be a good user as well as a good looker ? I have wondered about this which in part is why i have never bought one of his knives. Gary, maybe you could go camping with this knife and then report back ? It would be a contribution to our knife knowledge ! :)
kj

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:24 am

I met Lofgren in LA about 9 years ago which is when I acquired this knife. The hand feel is okay for my mid-sized hand. As for blade sharpness, I'd describe it as mildly sharp; perhaps a 4 or 5 on a 1-10 scale. As you recognize, it is more a work of art than a practical using knife. No campfires for this one. Looking pretty is what she does best.
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:16 am

Thanks Gary. This answers what i have wondered about; i.e. his knives are aimed more toward collectors than guys going on bush adventures.
kj

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”