Show off your fixed blades!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Show off your fixed blades!

Post by edge213 »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:00 pm P1010230.JPGP1010232.JPG
How about some info on this sword?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

edge 213
An accurate replica of a Viking sword found near an English castle. Some say it was found in the moat, others in a nearby river. IMO it is an excellent rendition. I think a Viking would be pleased. Most of them did not have swords. They were more into axes and spears; less expensive than a sword.
The scabbard does not match the quality of the sword itself. But this helped to keep the price down.
The castle was Cawood (sp?). This style was from a later Viking period. Thought to be 9th century.
Rendered by CasIberia (Paul Chen).
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:55 am edge 213
An accurate replica of a Viking sword found near an English castle. Some say it was found in the moat, others in a nearby river. IMO it is an excellent rendition. I think a Viking would be pleased. Most of them did not have swords. They were more into axes and spears; less expensive than a sword.
The scabbard does not match the quality of the sword itself. But this helped to keep the price down.
The castle was Cawood (sp?). This style was from a later Viking period. Thought to be 9th century.
Rendered by CasIberia (Paul Chen).
Great looking sword .
David
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Awesome sword Gary ::tu:: .
I'm planning on getting me a classic long sword, and katana in the future, and not something cheap/wall hanger. I hear good things bout cold steel and CAS Iberia/Hanwei.
What high quality brands would you fellers recommend?
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:11 pm Awesome sword Gary ::tu:: .
I'm planning on getting me a classic long sword, and katana in the future, and not something cheap/wall hanger. I hear good things bout cold steel and CAS Iberia/Hanwei.
What high quality brands would you fellers recommend?
Willy, I know Roland has some fine swords. Some form Hanwei I think. ::nod::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Willy, I would encourage you to consider Hanwei over Cold Steel. I have no experience with Cold Steel Swords. The comment about them from an expert I heard is that they do make them thick and presumably strong so they do not have to deal with a lot of returns. However, this throws off their balance. Makes them a bit clunky. Paul Chen, when he ran Hanwei, was very fussy about the quality of the steel in his swords. So much so that he built a foundry and made his own steel. His son, who probably still runs the business studied in Japan for 3 years under the man considered to be the foremost bladesmith. I think you would be pleased with a Hanwei product. I have four of their Samurai type swords. Even the least expensive one is a superb cutter.

From research I did some years ago, I found just a couple of brands that I considered to be of high quality. But these were more expensive and I doubt they would cut any better.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you for the info Gary ::handshake:: . And i'll be sure to ask Roland doglegg ::tu:: .
I have a fuzzy memory, that's exactly what I read, in some knife making books, about Hanwei. Isn't his swords used in movies/reproductions/plays/re-enactments? If me fuzzy memory is correct...
Anyway, looking on Canada's big knife/sword/outdoors/airsofting/airgunning store website (Hero Outdoors), you can get very nice swords, for under $500 Canadian, shipped.
Only problem right now, I have upcoming expenses to look after... Wheelsets for bicycles are not cheap! And i'm on kinda a fixed blade obsession right now :roll: , so my sword buying will have to wait. Not to mention, I have sooooo much work in the pipeline to do, that needs taking care of.
Oh well, life of starting your own business with chronic health issues...
Um... I think I just went way off topic, and where is that "doh" emoji! Oh ya, now I see it... Right beside the "thumbs down", and "in a huff".
::doh::

:lol:
Sorry for derailing the thread, time to get back onto the beautiful fixed blades you fellers are showing ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I haven't posted any thing lately but got this one done yesterday for my sis's son. He is a former Marine, anyway this knife has nothing to do with the Corp but she just wanted him to have one of my homemade things. It is made of O-1 and English walnut, it doesn't have many straight lines, but does fit the hand pretty good. I put finger grooves in it and the handle has a slight curve. And comes with my hand stitched 9 ounce leather sheath. ::tu:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Beautiful work, Terry!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Such a fine knife and sheath, I'm sure he will appreciate it. It most certainly is beautiful. Great work Terry. ::nod:: ::tu::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

terryl308 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:07 pm I haven't posted any thing lately but got this one done yesterday for my sis's son. He is a former Marine, anyway this knife has nothing to do with the Corp but she just wanted him to have one of my homemade things. It is made of O-1 and English walnut, it doesn't have many straight lines, but does fit the hand pretty good. I put finger grooves in it and the handle has a slight curve. And comes with my hand stitched 9 ounce leather sheath. ::tu:: Terry
I love everything about this one.
David
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Another work of art Terry!! NICE!! ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them./ ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Really impressive work Terry.____Dave
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking knife and sheath! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Wobblehead

Post by Wobblehead »

I picked this up in a pawn shop in North Carolina about 10 years ago for $5. It is un marked. When I got it I could see official knife etched in the blade but it’s gone now. Other members here said it’s possibly a Cardinal Cutlery Boy Scout knife.
Attachments
1740FD30-1BC2-4CD8-A441-04214857BDBE.jpeg
Wobblehead

Post by Wobblehead »

Here’s my favorite fixed blade. A 171UH Pro Hunter my dad gave me years ago. The stock on my rifle is beat to death from the handle of this knife wearing it on my side and carrying my rifle on a sling. I’ve carried both since 1995.
Attachments
D46C2015-630D-42B5-9EFA-16B221DEB29B.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sent this one to my Great-Grandson
IMG957669.jpg
Lincoln Brian Mohr.jpg
And this one to my Great-Nephew
Bryson w-knife.jpg
s-l500.jpg
Their mothers will give them to them when they feel like the time is appropriate.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Wobblehead, That Pro Hunter must provide you with countless memories of hunts gone by or possibly campfire stories. Excellent that you have kept and maintained this artifact of your personal history.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::nod::
Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:40 pm Wobblehead, That Pro Hunter must provide you with countless memories of hunts gone by or possibly campfire stories. Excellent that you have kept and maintained this artifact of your personal history.
::tu:: ::tu::
Wobblehead

Post by Wobblehead »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:40 pm Wobblehead, That Pro Hunter must provide you with countless memories of hunts gone by or possibly campfire stories. Excellent that you have kept and maintained this artifact of your personal history.
Lots of deer have been cleaned with it. I always liked it because I could break the pelvis with a couple hard hits.
Wobblehead

Post by Wobblehead »

Here’s my model 700 mountain rifle and my pro hunter. I got the rifle for Christmas in 1994 when I was 12.
Attachments
0A4B6F77-7F94-4F31-8382-11D3CA400552.jpeg
image.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A fine pairing. What region to you live in?
Wobblehead

Post by Wobblehead »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:38 pm A fine pairing. What region to you live in?
West Virginia
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:27 pm Sent this one to my Great-Grandson
IMG957669.jpg
Lincoln Brian Mohr.jpg
And this one to my Great-Nephew
Bryson w-knife.jpg
s-l500.jpg
Their mothers will give them to them when they feel like the time is appropriate.
Very cool. Lucky little rascals!!!

Just derustified this one and evened out the handle a little.....
Soooooooooooooo sharp this old Imperial steel gets...
Attachments
IMG_7404.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”