Western Field??

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Western Field??

Post by orvet »

I picked up this knife Sunday at the flea market.
Obviously it is a Western as they were the only company to use the bifurcated tang.
PLATTS- patent.jpg

I have not seen the Western Field tang stamp before.
Is anyone familiar with it?
I thought perhaps it was a brand name used by Western Auto stores. Anyone know for sure?
Western Field a.jpg
Western Field b.jpg
Western Field tang.jpg
Western Field tang b.jpg

Feedback welcome!! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
junebug

Re: Western Field??

Post by junebug »

IM THINKIN???? WARDS WESTERN FIELD as in the guns from montgomery wards????

here is a link that may help??? i know nothin :mrgreen:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showt ... id/802122/
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Definitely made for MW, I have a few knives, gun cleaning kits, and other sporting stuff marked Western field ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Boy does that knife look familiar, eh Dale? It's a Western L-39 or course. Both Dale and I, along with a couple others on AAPK received an L-39 in our youth.

When I wore a younger man's clothes, Western Field was as synonymous with Montgomery Wards as JC Higgins & Ted Williams were with Sears & Roebuck.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Forgive what may be a dumb question...but what is the idea behind using a bifurcated tang?
What was it's purpose?
Seems as though it would add another step to the production process, I can't imagine they would do that if there wasn't some sort of benefit. And if it was beneficial why was Western the only ones to use it?

Does it have something to do with the stacked leather handles swelling and contracting over time and use?... ::hmm::

Just trying to learn...thanks fellas. ::nod::

Mike
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Western Field was a Montgomery Wards brand? Cool! 8)
I was pretty sure it was some sporting goods store chain, but I did not recall it was Wards.
iI figured someone would know. Thanks Guys! ::tu:: ::tu::

313 Mike wrote:Forgive what may be a dumb question...but what is the idea behind using a bifurcated tang?
What was it's purpose?
Seems as though it would add another step to the production process, I can't imagine they would do that if there wasn't some sort of benefit. And if it was beneficial why was Western the only ones to use it?

Does it have something to do with the stacked leather handles swelling and contracting over time and use?... ::hmm::

Just trying to learn...thanks fellas. ::nod::

Mike

Great questions Mike!
Never be afraid to ask questions, that is how we all learn!

Between Harvey Platts’ book, “The Knife Makers Who Went West,” and the patent document we find a number of advantages to the (at least from the perspective of the company) of the bifurcated tang.

Here is the second page from the patent application.
PLATTS- patent pg 2.jpg
You will note that in the first 5 lines they describe the bifurcated tang as being a simple, durable, strong and inexpensive method of attaching a handle and that it cannot be displaced or loosened.

In Harvey Platts’ book it says that the 2-part tang locks the other handle parts into place.

“This construction resulted in a stronger knife, better balance, two rivets in the end-knob instead of one, and a better appearance.” – Harvey Platts, page 66.

The patent date is July 24, 1934, so no doubt the product was introduced a year or tow before, at the beginning of the Great Depression.
According to Harvey Platts’ book, the bifurcated tang “… was the beginning of Western’s leadership in the sheath knife field.”
- Harvey Platts, page 66.

Adding up all the reasons given for the bifurcated tang in these sources be see, from their admittedly biased perspective, the following reasons:
– Strength
– Simplicity
– Durability
– Inexpensive to make
– Improved balance
– Improved appearance

From the viewpoint of the company these 6 reasons were more than enough incentive to justify the expense of retooling for a different handle design. And it seemed to work very well for them. Coleman bought the Western brand in the 1980s and then in 1990 the Western name was acquired by Camillus and produced Western knives until they closed down in 2007.
On the used knife market Western made knives, especially those made prior to the mid 1980s are sought by collectors and knife users like hunters. It is a testament to the quality and durability of the product that knives made in the 1930s are not only used today, but sought out as some of the best ever made!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Wow, great reply Dale!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge.

AAPK is the only knife site I belong to but the other day while doing some research I was browsing through another site's forums looking for info, and found a thread where a member got lambasted hard by numerous other members for asking a question some others regarded as not being worthy. The question asker was told he should try google first and not to waste valuable time and space on questions that you could find the answers to with a little research. I was a bit taken aback and promptly vacated that site...I didn't want to get any of that negativity on me.

This truly is a special place and I am grateful for everyone here's patience and willingness to educate and pass along information and knowledge! Dale you are one of the best my friend, glad to have access to a part of your brain pan!

So now I know a little about the ol' Western bifurcated tang...happy to have learned something new about knives today!

Mike
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
junebug

Post by junebug »

CRAZY AINT IT , mike.....
i steer clear of others unless i need info/research ::nod::

AAPK ROCKS ::groove::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I do have one or more Westerns with the "pat. applied for" stamp. The Platts book says they started making fixed blades in 1928. It also says the first manufacturing buildings were constructed about 1918. We often see the statement that the company dates from 1911. That is kinda true, because Platts was out West trying to set up at that early date. He was soon selling knives, but he was getting them from back East. I have a Western that is IDENTICAL to a Union Cutlery (Olean, NY), and I believe it was one of those imported by Platts. I suppose that the actual manufacturing firms put the Western stamp on the tangs for Platts. I would post some pics but I can't figure out how to do it anymore. I used to copy and paste from photobucket into IMG brackets, but I don't even see that menu item here anymore.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

tongueriver wrote: I would post some pics but I can't figure out how to do it anymore. I used to copy and paste from photobucket into IMG brackets, but I don't even see that menu item here anymore.
See Here:

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =2&t=38771
AAPK Janitor
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is a test of the new imaging protocol (to me! haha) I mentioned that I had a knife which I believe to be made by Union Cutlery, Olean, N.Y. (KABAR). Here it is. The left ricasso is tang-stamped WESTERN, which Harvey Platts said was used between 1928 and 1931. The right ricasso is tang-stamped WESTERN STATES, over CUT CO DISTR, over a very faint stamp which I believe says BOULDER, COLO. Actually, I think that this thread should be moved to the Western thread.
probably by Union Cutlery, Olean, N.Y.
probably by Union Cutlery, Olean, N.Y.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

And here is the same knife with a KABAR.
Kabar & Western001.jpg
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Post by oldblinddog »

I think that this one has the bifurcated tang but I'm not certain. What do you guys think?

Sorry for the cell phone pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Yes.
AAPK Janitor
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Definitely. Look at the pommel: two pins is the giveaway.
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Post by oldblinddog »

I thought so but the Craftsman tang stamp is why I asked. I have learned nrver to assume anything. ::shrug::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

If you see a stacked leather handle and you can see the tang on both sides (in addition to the double pins in the pommel) there's no way it can be anything but a bifricated tang.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
oldblinddog

Post by oldblinddog »

Yes, I see your point.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I just pick this up at a yard sale. I took a quick look and thought it was a Western, Boulder Colorado :oops: ... but I did not have any cheater glasses... So I couldn't clearly read the tang stamp ::facepalm:: But I am glad I got it anyway it is a nice little knife. ::nod:: ::hmm:: ... Sooo, it is under the Montgomery Wards brand? ::hmm::
Attachments
DSCF1989.JPG
DSCF1990.JPG
DSCF1991.JPG
DSCF1992.JPG
DSCF1995.JPG
DSCF1997.JPG
DSCF1988.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:12 pm I just pick this up at a yard sale. I took a quick look and thought it was a Western, Boulder Colorado :oops: ... but I did not have any cheater glasses... So I couldn't clearly read the tang stamp ::facepalm:: But I am glad I got it anyway it is a nice little knife. ::nod:: ::hmm:: ... Sooo, it is under the Montgomery Wards brand? ::hmm::
It is a Montgomery Wards stamp, but the knife was made by Western.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That is a pretty one!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

edge213 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:35 am
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:12 pm I just pick this up at a yard sale. I took a quick look and thought it was a Western, Boulder Colorado :oops: ... but I did not have any cheater glasses... So I couldn't clearly read the tang stamp ::facepalm:: But I am glad I got it anyway it is a nice little knife. ::nod:: ::hmm:: ... Sooo, it is under the Montgomery Wards brand? ::hmm::
It is a Montgomery Wards stamp, but the knife was made by Western.
Thanks edge! I sure thought that it was made by Western when I bought it. :wink:
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Reverand wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:44 am That is a pretty one!
Thanks Reverand! ::handshake::

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”