Arno Bernard knives

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
kootenay joe

Re: Arno Bernard knives

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes they are about 'Perfect' so why stop at one !
What is the series & name of this one ?
I too have two A.B. Wart Hogs. I'm gunna need to get another if i wanna be the local leader of the "Wart Hog" gang.
Joking aside the wart hog tusk handles are as fine as GOOD elephant ivory handles for looks & polished feel. And the 'Bernards' make a most ergonomic handle, the kind you don't want to put down.
As i posted above, what i want to know is how slippery does this ivory become with field dressing a deer. Even when experienced, some blood and fat can get on the handle. If it gets very slippery then a guard is needed to make it safer. It is a real nuisance to get a deep cut on your finger or hand when there is still more to do to finish up. You could even slice through a finger flexor tendon as your hand slides forward onto blade.
However, maybe grip does not change much with a little blood & fat on it. The Bernards are hunters so they likely ? take this into consideration when designing the knives.
I hope Calvin finds out and does NOT cut himself.
kj
I just took another look at Calvin's 2 knives. Both have a significant choil that will help to prevent your hand from sliding forward.
tongueriver

Re: Arno Bernard knives

Post by tongueriver »

They look like they will be slippery; I don't know yet, but I have one thing on my side. I don't try to cut through bone, such as pelvic arches or sternums when field dressing game. I don't have to exert high pressure on a knife to do what I need to do. That helps. Once I was walking to the pickup and not looking where I was going, carrying a sharp hunting knife. I walked right into the pickup side view mirror with that arm and cut myself a good bloody one.
Here is a set of warthog tusks from an animal that my brother (the rich one) killed in Africa. He gave the mounted tusks to me for my cave.
IMG_2723.JPG
The second knife, the more pointy 'sticker' is the 'vulture' from the Scavenger series.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”