Vintage Puukko

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
kootenay joe

Vintage Puukko

Post by kootenay joe »

I only discovered Puukkos a few years ago and now they are big part of my knife collection which previously had been limited to folding knives.
Many of the vintage Puukkos were custom made. Finland had many knife makers ("Smiths") each making slight variations according to traditions of their local area. The Smith's name is usually etched in the fuller if present, or on the blade flats. But writing in Finnish involves 'loops', lots of loopy loops, such that no none Finnish person can read it. I have not found any text that shows or discusses these knives. So i don't know what i have got. I might have some Puukkos by highly regarded Smiths that are rather valuable because there is a collector market for these. (stronger in Europe/Scandinavia/Finland than in N.A.)
Here is a very fine example because it appears unused. Unused vintage factory Puukkos are common, but vintage custom ones are almost always used examples. They were bought by locals as a needed tool.
So this one is a bit special. It does look to have been cleaned superficially with something like Flitz because the writing on the front flats has been partly removed.
OAL 10" which is large for a Puukko
There are gold colored letters on the back of handle that say: "G Myers --?"
There is loopy writing in the fuller and on blade flats both sides.
Pictures of this are slightly easier to read than by trying to read it on the blade itself, but still not very clear.
If anyone can shed any light on this knife, age, maker, "G Myers",etc. please post.
Attachments
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 011.jpg
gmusic

Re: Vintage Puukko

Post by gmusic »

Very nice.........love that sheath!
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Nice ones! I would venture that G. Myers was likely the owner and his name was hot stamped on the handle. The name on two of the knives is Jarvenpaa(last name). I have a couple of puukos with that name. I agree;they are hard to read.
Here are a few of mine. The black handled one I don't believe is a puuko but rather a sloyd possibly from Sweden;there are no markings on it.The blade polish is unbelievable and the pique work(the silver pins in the ebony handle)is beautiful. The sheath is engraved silver. The minis are kind of neat.The puuko in the pic of 5 knives is the only one I could find of that knife.
Attachments
FancyPuuko3.jpg
Finland098.jpg
Finland099.jpg
MiniKnife001.JPG
5Knives1.jpg
FancyPuuko1.jpg
FancyPuuko2.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice knives !
The black handle knife with metal scabbard is a Staskniv from Norway. It is a dress up knife worn on Sundays and special occasions. These usually show little to no evidence of use even though they are fully capable knives.
The second one down is a Finnish Boy Scout knife. Scouting came to Finland in 1929 and i believe this pattern has been the same since then.
Puukkos are very good user knives particularly for woodcraft. I field dressed a whitetail this past Fall with a custom Tommi puukko, very slick and quick. Tommi = rhomboid in cross section, thickest part is a ridge running length of blade that tapers slightly to spine and tapers fully to zero at the edge. i.e. no edge grind needed.
kj
keithw

Post by keithw »

I love this thread. ::tu::

I only have one puukko, but I always look at them at shows (when I find them). They're very interesting.
I really like that Sunday-go-to-meetin' sloyd.

Mine had some corrosion on the blade when I bought it, so I was using simichrome on the blade, when the part between the blade and the handle (bolster?) just came apart. :shock:
It had some sort of crumbly white stuff in it.
I can't remember the name of what I bought at the hardware store, a sort of wood filler in powder form, that I experimented with and finally repaired the section.
I didn't pay a lot for it, so it wasn't a big deal.

Do many puukkos have that white crumbly stuff in them, and what is that stuff?
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

keithw wrote:I love this thread. ::tu::

Do many puukkos have that white crumbly stuff in them, and what is that stuff?
Keith: It may be a version of what Bernard Levine calls "cutler's cement" which for him meant a mixture of brick dust,rosin,and beeswax. Sounds like that might have been it less the brick dust which usually gives it an orange tint.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I only have one puuko and, oddly enough, it was made in Boulder, Colorado by Western States. It only appears in the 1941 catalog and I think they are pretty rare. I have seen 3 go up for sale in the last several years. This one is available.
68BG puuko001.jpg
68BG puuko002.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very nice knives everyone. I've never owned a pukko but I've looked at several. I can see why they're so popular. Y'all have some real good examples.

TR, that's one fine fine fine looking Western!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sunday go to Meeting Staskniv, not Sloyd.
The white cutler's cement BRL describes is from vintage Sheffield of about 150 years ago. I doubt that is the "white crumbly" stuff referred to above. I have about 75(?) Puukkos, nearly all vintage and none show any white crumbly stuff. Whatever it is might have been specific to that maker, not something usually used in smithing a Puukko.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Nice knives !
The black handle knife with metal scabbard is a Staskniv from Norway. It is a dress up knife worn on Sundays and special occasions. These usually show little to no evidence of use even though they are fully capable knives.
kj
Thank you for the clarification on the name kj;I shall update the info in my files. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

You can also use "Staskniv" to search ebay. Maybe i shouldn't be giving away my secrets ? but that's what a knife forum is for, helping each other.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

LOVE that knife Joe!!!! ::tu:: ::tu::

PS - Just searched ebay for staskniv and found nothing live or completed.
Are they rare and only show up rarely?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Staskniv = uncommon but not rare. Usually at least 1 will be found. Try "Puukko" and "Finnish knife" or "Finland knife". You can scroll through quickly and likely will spot a Staskniv or 2. If not, try again in a few days. There have been hundreds of Puukkos listed in the last few months.
kj
Cookyboy1

Post by Cookyboy1 »

Hi there, I have just 2 pukko knives in my collection, 1 which is a quite ornate one with matching sheath which is made by who appears to be Lisaki - Javenpaa and the other one is a bone handled pukko dagger with an engraved sheath, thought you might like to see them,
IMG_20210122_123646.jpg
IMG_20210122_123646.jpg
IMG_20210122_123646.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20210122_123629.jpg
IMG_20210122_123555.jpg
IMG_20210122_123533.jpg
IMG_20210122_123513.jpg
IMG_20210122_123141.jpg
IMG_20210122_123134.jpg
IMG_20210122_123110.jpg
IMG_20210122_123042.jpg
IMG_20210122_123026.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Both very cool. ::nod::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Both very cool. ::nod::
lentuk
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by lentuk »

I am a big Puukko fan also but I only have one vintage Puukko, this is a Luomanen & Kumppanit, Kauhava, Model 2, from the 1930s that my Grandfather purchased in Finland in the late 1950s. When my Father gave this to me 20 years ago it started my Puukko collecting.
001.jpg
002.jpg
021.jpg
023.jpg
025.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Somehow I missed this topic for 6 years! ::dang::
I will have to post pics of my Puukkos when I get home and get caught up from the trip.

Nice knives guys! ::tu::
Hopefully we get some more people posting on this topic as well. I have become a fan of the Puukko in the last few years. The more of them I get, the more I like them!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Looking forward to seeing them, Dale!
lentuk
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by lentuk »

Here are some of mine, Puukko and Leuku.
322.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

👍🤩👍
John 🎃
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

lentuk, WOW ! ::woot::
What a great group of custom puukkos. I bet everyone of them has a hair-poppin' edge.
Who made the knife second from the top on right side ? has a long brown handle and a shorter blade.
Perhaps you can post a picture showing just this Puukko ?
thank you, kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

lentuk wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:25 pm Here are some of mine, Puukko and Leuku.
322.jpg
All great ones! ::tu:: The two, right and left, second from the bottom, the stacked bark Malenika and its friend, the (Jelio?) blow me away! ::drool::
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

I don't understand anything about these knives. This one sells for about $ 150. What do you think guys?
https://www.olx.bg/d/ad/avtentichen-sta ... bserved_ad
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Classic horse head with stacked birch bark handle made in Kauhauva, Finnland by major respected maker. Looks to be in nice shape. I would pay $150 USD for it if it caught my eye. It's a good knife.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”