Vintage Puukko

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Vintage Puukko

Post by doglegg »

Both very cool. ::nod::
lentuk
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by lentuk »

I am a big Puukko fan also but I only have one vintage Puukko, this is a Luomanen & Kumppanit, Kauhava, Model 2, from the 1930s that my Grandfather purchased in Finland in the late 1950s. When my Father gave this to me 20 years ago it started my Puukko collecting.
001.jpg
002.jpg
021.jpg
023.jpg
025.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Somehow I missed this topic for 6 years! ::dang::
I will have to post pics of my Puukkos when I get home and get caught up from the trip.

Nice knives guys! ::tu::
Hopefully we get some more people posting on this topic as well. I have become a fan of the Puukko in the last few years. The more of them I get, the more I like them!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Looking forward to seeing them, Dale!
lentuk
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by lentuk »

Here are some of mine, Puukko and Leuku.
322.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

👍🤩👍
John 🎃
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

lentuk, WOW ! ::woot::
What a great group of custom puukkos. I bet everyone of them has a hair-poppin' edge.
Who made the knife second from the top on right side ? has a long brown handle and a shorter blade.
Perhaps you can post a picture showing just this Puukko ?
thank you, kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

lentuk wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:25 pm Here are some of mine, Puukko and Leuku.
322.jpg
All great ones! ::tu:: The two, right and left, second from the bottom, the stacked bark Malenika and its friend, the (Jelio?) blow me away! ::drool::
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

I don't understand anything about these knives. This one sells for about $ 150. What do you think guys?
https://www.olx.bg/d/ad/avtentichen-sta ... bserved_ad
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Classic horse head with stacked birch bark handle made in Kauhauva, Finnland by major respected maker. Looks to be in nice shape. I would pay $150 USD for it if it caught my eye. It's a good knife.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eustace wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:22 pm I don't understand anything about these knives. This one sells for about $ 150. What do you think guys?
$150 is about double what that knife would likely sell for at auction on ebay.com
There are many old puukkos 'out there' in very good condition. The linked to puukko has a longer blade than the traditional puukko used by the people of Finland. The longer blade puukkos were mostly made for export to USA.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:00 pm
Eustace wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:22 pm I don't understand anything about these knives. This one sells for about $ 150. What do you think guys?
$150 is about double what that knife would likely sell for at auction on ebay.com
There are many old puukkos 'out there' in very good condition. The linked to puukko has a longer blade than the traditional puukko used by the people of Finland. The longer blade puukkos were mostly made for export to USA.
kj
Prices have risen.
lentuk
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by lentuk »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:08 pm lentuk, WOW ! ::woot::

Who made the knife second from the top on right side ? has a long brown handle and a shorter blade.
Perhaps you can post a picture showing just this Puukko ?
thank you, kj
Kauhavan Puukkopaja Askartelupuukko 80mm
207-80mm-km-ruskea-valk-p.jpg
https://www.kauhavanpuukkopaja.fi/en/ka ... era-80-mm/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you lentuk. I see this as The Perfect puukko.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

tongueriver wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:19 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:00 pm
kj
Prices have risen.
Oh. Too bad i sold most of my old puukkos about 1-2 years ago. Most people were not willing to pay more than ~ $50 for some very fine old puukkos in never used condition.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks for the hot link! Looks like some fine pickings there!
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:05 pm I only have one puuko and, oddly enough, it was made in Boulder, Colorado by Western States. It only appears in the 1941 catalog and I think they are pretty rare. I have seen 3 go up for sale in the last several years. This one is available.

68BG puuko001.jpg
68BG puuko002.jpg
I also only have only one Puuko It looks like to me that in T.K.M.W.W. 1941 catalog page the colors offered print is wrong .My knife covers are most definitely black .Your knife appears to be black also.
IMG_2645.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_2647.png
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Seven years later, now; I think they imported them from Finland. Mine had that casein type handle I think; it had a crack in it.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:09 am Seven years later, now; I think they imported them from Finland. Mine had that casein type handle I think; it had a crack in it.
Thank you for your response .The tang stamp on my knife is West-Cut /Boulder Co./ PAT 1967479 . It could be that they imported the horse head pommels and covers and assembled them in Boulder ? I will post the knife over on the western forum and see if zzyz can solve the mystery ….
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:09 am Seven years later, now; I think they imported them from Finland. Mine had that casein type handle I think; it had a crack in it.
After visiting the western forum I found two pictures of puuko knifes that had colored tentie covers .both had tang stamps western /boulder co/ PAT .1967496 .When I first got my knife I thought it may have been re covered until I found the picture of your knife posted .I now think both the black handled knifes were original factory , but not with tentie covers .With the West-cut tang stamping I think the knifes came with a more economical black plastic covers to be sold at lest cost to the working class crowd .
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

When KJ started this post in 2016 he was very interested in the history of all his knives.. and in the summer of 22 when he was battling with the awful disease, he was selling off his collection, I was messaging him about items he had for sale, we agreed on some items, I told him I’ll PayPal you xxx money and send me what he wanted to sell at the time. To my surprise he sent me the very knife that he started this post with, and 8 other Pukkos and some others old cutlery. I ended up with 60 or so from him. Sadly I have not as much desire to search out the history of the knives that he did. But most every knife he sent me had in his hand written research of that particular knife, he truly loved the history of the knife, he never stopped learning or researching them. Roland was a wealth of info that is missed on the site.
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Found this one today at an antique shop. No maker's name cut into the fuller. For eighteen bux, I ain't complaining.
Attachments
IMG_0014.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

For 18 bux you stole it
Beautiful knife.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Very nice indeed! Probably the biggest maker of that distinct type was Iisakki Jarvenpaa of Kauhava, Finland.
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

A bit of a relic but interesting
73F6137E-1BAD-41AE-B664-6BC3AC5F4C10.jpeg
56AB59FB-38B4-42C3-B6E2-6CF7C436CD8C.jpeg
14AE6F39-7B7E-40E4-92D0-5E9760C5BDDE.jpeg
636321FD-2B30-48D8-8FAB-0AEC51F8D41A.jpeg
You can always get more money, good old knives are hard to find.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”