JL Barbee Knife?

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
knifeseller

JL Barbee Knife?

Post by knifeseller »

I believe this is a JL Barbee knife. Is anyone familiar with this knife maker? Does anyone know the value of his knives? Here are some photos:
New_1_DSCF0009.JPG
New_1_DSCF0011.JPG
New_1_DSCF0013.JPG
americanedgetech

Re: JL Barbee Knife?

Post by americanedgetech »

That's a great little knife.
Are you sure that pistol sheath goes with it?
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
knifeseller

Post by knifeseller »

I'm not certain this sheath goes with it but the sheath does say Barbee. If I could find a photo of that knife it might show the sheath that goes with it.
knifeseller

Post by knifeseller »

I'm not certain this sheath goes with it but the sheath does say Barbee. If I could find a photo of that knife it might show the sheath that goes with it.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

knifeseller,
Google J.L. Barbee, there is a lot of info and even a web site. He is/was? in Arizona and the site shows sheaths similar to the one in your picture.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
knifeseller

Post by knifeseller »

Thanks!!
Regan

Post by Regan »

That's a Jim Barbee knife for sure, and the sheath is as well, possibly should have a matching number written inside the top portion of the sheath that would match the number of the knife. I'm a personal friend of Mr. Jim and he has been my mentor for years, I continue to make his knives, one of the pioneers, back in his day he was one of the best!!
knifeseller

Post by knifeseller »

Thank-you Regan. I checked on the inside of the sheath and saw 208. The knife has 2088 marked on it so that seems close enough to assume this is the correct sheath for the knife. Check out the photo.
New_1_DSCF0035.JPG
Regan

Post by Regan »

His number system works like this;
2088 would mean that was the 20th knife he made in 1988. Mr Jim is alive and well living on his ranch in Ft. Stockton, Tx. He is 90 and still as sharp as a whip.
Regan
Ps: if your wanting to sell it, lemme know, several of us collect his knives
knifeseller

Post by knifeseller »

Thanks for the information Regan. I now know how old the knife is. I recently sent a letter to Mr.Barbee's daughter asking her for information but I haven't heard anything yet. I have no idea what the knife is worth. I am trying to get as much money as I can for my sister. When her husband died he didn't have a life insurance policy so it's been tough for her in many ways. I have been putting some of his knives on Ebay with mixed results.
americanedgetech

What is your Ebay name... I'll try to help as much as I can. :)
Ken Mc.

knifeseller

Post by knifeseller »

Hello americanedgetech,
Thanks so much for your offer. My ebay name in hornliz. I have about 14 listing right now but things have slowed down. My brother-in-law had many knives but he loved Case knives in particular. I appreciate your help.
americanedgetech

No problem... It is helping all of us. ::tu::

See ya on the Flea :D
Ken Mc.

schoolyards

Post by schoolyards »

knifeseller wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:07 pm I believe this is a JL Barbee knife. Is anyone familiar with this knife maker? Does anyone know the value of his knives? Here are some photos:

New_1_DSCF0009.JPGNew_1_DSCF0011.JPGNew_1_DSCF0013.JPG
I'm not sure of it's value but my grandfather gave me his JL Barbee years ago. He had it custom made and the story was his wife made the sheath. Mine has a 931 on the blade & sheath so it's the correct match. I'll post some pictures of mine but yours is beautiful!
mike miller

Post by mike miller »

I believe Jim used to be a guide and made knives.if it is the correct person when I started making knives ,I sent him knives to heat treat. They were made of 440C and he did a fabulous job on them. His heat treat oven was made by some of the scientists from NASA whom he took hunting around Ft. Stockton. I believe his wife's name was Pat.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”