Buffalo Brand Ruko Solingen?

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
zoogirl

Buffalo Brand Ruko Solingen?

Post by zoogirl »

D7276147-4F86-4C85-BEFA-989D38B963F4.jpeg
1AC482FD-F040-49BF-A137-C3E5120A209D.jpeg
73D00810-B9DA-49C4-9518-6B82DFB4CDD4.jpeg
This is today’s prize. I got it at an antique show out in Cloverdale BC. Paid $15 for it, which didn’t feel like a total ripoff. It’s pretty solid.
I can’t find much about it. The ‘Buffalo Brand’ is pretty clear, the ‘Ruko Solingen’, less so. It seems to have U2 on the other side. The handle seems to be real stag.
When I got it, there was a lot more dirt and discolouring on the blade. To me, it looked quite old.
I’m finding a lot of references to Ruko being new and cheap. This knife doesn’t seem to fit that. Any ideas?

Oh, again, background courtesy of Gaffer the Tomcat!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Doc B

Re: Buffalo Brand Ruko Solingen?

Post by Doc B »

Sorry, I don't know anything about your knife...but at $15 don't think you went wrong.
Thanks Gaffer.
DSC_0023.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

131A723D-43CA-4411-972E-E1CB2D5466C8.jpeg
Well, hello there!
Here’s the whole lot!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

zoogirl, "RUKO is not a knife maker but a wholesale importer and distributor with locations in Canada and USA. While they also import and distribute cutlery marketed under their house brands (RUKO, Outfitter) they are also a major North American Distributor for Fox of Italy and Muella of Spain. The Ruko house brands are normally made of 420 or 440A steel depending on pattern."

The above quote is from A Pocket Guide to Knives website-just google. So I don't think you need to think of your knife as a poorly made pacific rim knockoff; rather as a decent quality knife using German steel. It might have been assembled in Germany, in Spain, or elsewhere. Nice find.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Zoogirl, there seems to be a pattern of your liking old fix blade knives. And you seem to find quite a few of them. Keep the pic's coming. ::tu:: ::tu::
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Oh, I’ve got my share of jacks and little penknives too, but you’re right. I am leaning to the fixed blades. I particularly like the little ones. They just seem elegant, you know?
I was given a small and broken scout knife by my friends brother when I was a kid. I ended up wrapping the handle with shiny white cord and glueing a jewel at the top. It was my fantasy dagger. Sadly, it was later stolen. I think that knife got me interested but it’s only lately that I’ve really dove in.
I wish my finances fit my interest but I do get quite lucky with my finds. I’ve paid as little as $5.
I’m going to be posting my son’s ID less knife, which is his pride and joy. Gotta raise ‘em right, eh?!
Mscottrushton

Post by Mscottrushton »

Hi there; joined the forum just to answer this post, so I hope you’re still a current member! Interestingly, this knife was the first one I ever owned; given to me by my Dad when I was 6 or 7 for when we went to work in the woods. I had long lost track of it, but came upon it today while on a visit out east with my Mom. It was in a drawer full of knives that my dad had.

For what it’s worth, it was given to me brand new in 1971/72, so that should give you an idea of dating yours. Mine has identical markings on the blade, save for the fact that mine has “S2”, and not “U2”. I’ve attached a photo that I took today, with the original sheath, which is stamped “Germany”.

Hope this helps!

Scott
New Brunswick
Canada
Attachments
E7597CD4-6A66-4595-838D-3EC6F98EED45.jpeg
Mscottrushton

Post by Mscottrushton »

I see you are from the GVRD; I lived out there for 27 years, the last 15 in Tsawwassen, till 2017. 🤙
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is one I got awhile back.
Attachments
RU-KOBuffaloBrand.JPG
RU-KO BuffaloBrandKnife 2 001.jpg
RU-KO BuffaloBrandKnife 2 002.jpg
RU-KO BuffaloBrandKnife 2 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”