J Nowill & Sons Boy Scouts of Canada.

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
zoogirl

J Nowill & Sons Boy Scouts of Canada.

Post by zoogirl »

1B9565F8-9C1F-4DBC-B0AE-236BDFB73985.png
B68E409B-7836-4D30-BFFE-5BD09715E2ED.png
Here’s today’s new little friend!
It’s a Boy Scouts of Canada logoed knife, as you can see. What I couldn’t get to show is “J Nowill and Sons Sheffield England established 1700”. That’s on the blade to the left of the Boy Scout logo.

I can only come up with the fact that Nowill still exists as part of another company. No info on when they were contracted by the Scouts.
The knife certainly looks old. The blade is worn but I suspect not often sharpened. The handle is smooth with no major chips but lots of surface wear.
It’s pretty cool. I was a Brownie, which is the junior version of Girl Guides. In my day you started at seven and didn’t go to Guides until you turned eleven. I put in the whole time. The only two badges I got were housekeeping, which was kinda mandatory, and woodworking! Yep, I liked my knives and tools even then!

Anyway, I’m stumped. I’ve spent a couple hours online and I’m just going in circles.

Oh, and, $20, if you were wondering ...
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
wlf

Re: J Nowill & Sons Boy Scouts of Canada.

Post by wlf »

You live right near a friend of mine.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

I'll take it.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

zoogirl you sure find some interesting ones. I have been to Victoria but never to Vancouver. Again, a great find. ::tu:: ::tu::
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

wlf wrote:You live right near a friend of mine.
When someone says they live near Vancouver, it means that they live close to about 2 million people.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Ok, actually I live in Surrey. Yes, I’ve heard all the ‘Surrey Girl’ jokes. No, I’ve never been mugged. No, I’ve never had a car stolen in Surrey (Burnaby, yes). Yes, I’ve had several bikes wander away. Yes, some areas are that bad. There’s a reason I collect knives! ;)

Oh, and I meant I paid $20. We just met - I’m not gonna sell her!

I’ve still had no luck finding anything on the chronology of knife makers as regards the Boy Scouts of Canada. Nothing much on the company that would give me an approximate date for this knife.
I believe Scouting in Canada goes back to around 1910 but I’m thinking more like 50’s/‘60s for my knife.
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I haven't had any luck finding out information about Boys Scouts of Canada knife commissions. There is absolutely no information on the net, and recently at a community event where the Boy Scouts had a huge display...all I got was blank stares.

Anyway, this knife was made by C.J. Johnson Western Works, Sheffield, which was bought by Wostenholm in 1955. The Boy Scouts of Canada were started in 1910 by Baden Powell (think he was a Brit)...so I know that this knife was made between 1910-1955.

cheers
Attachments
C.J. Johnson Western Works Sheffield (9).JPG
C.J. Johnson Western Works Sheffield (7).JPG
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Very nice, Lawrence! I haven’t seen too many knives that old with that many blades.
I wonder if the Boy Scout logo has changed much over the years. Might be worth a try. I know there has been a big thing over the actual name of the group and affiliations. I think it’s currently Boy Scouts of Canada.
My boys didn’t do Scouts, so I only know what’s on the Net.
I’m just surprised that I’m coming up with such sparse info on a three hundred year old company. I figured I’d come up with something on the knife itself. Nope!

Anyway, it’s a nice addition to my ‘little guys’. I do prefer the smaller sized knives.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Oops, double posted and can’t cancel one!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Aha! The name ‘Boy Scouts Of Canada’ was in use from 1946 - 1976. It’s now ‘Scouts Canada’. That narrows it down!
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

We have an informal meeting once a month, at a restaurant on King George Hwy, to show and tell our knives, zoogirl!
If you would care to join us, email me:
Charlie dot Campagna at Telus dot Net.
:D
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

upnorth wrote:We have an informal meeting once a month, at a restaurant on King George Hwy, to show and tell our knives, zoogirl!
If you would care to join us, email me:
Charlie dot Campagna at Telus dot Net.
:D

I PM'd you but it's not showing up in my outbox or sent file. I hardly ever look at my email anymore so just PM when and where, or post, because perhaps someone else around here will see it. Gonna guess the Knight & Day?!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”