Vintage Western Hatchet and Knife Combo - Show You Combo's

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Mountain Man Knives

Vintage Western Hatchet and Knife Combo - Show You Combo's

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

Here is one I was fortunate to come across a Vintage Western - Handles are nice and tight and have no issues whatsoever - I rarely see combos on here so if you have a Combo please share your Photo's
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
espn77

Re: Vintage Western Hatchet and Knife Combo - Show You Combo's

Post by espn77 »

I have 2 but not western.
Attachments
20190210_190746.jpg
20190206_171647.jpg
Mountain Man Knives

Pretty much the same family tree, I wonder if all the patterns that Platts came up with for Western were all his own designs or some of them came from the drawing boards back east from the Case Factory Boys -
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Western didn't start making their own knives until several years after Platt sold his half of Case to Case and then moved out west. These hatchet/knife sets didn't come out until nearly 20 years after the move. So I doubt anything Western did was a hold over from Case.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Other than the variations that Case used on their single handle knife-ax there are only 3 other mechanisms with their own variations that I know of. Western's Knife-ax and the variations of it are particular to Western and the sets that they made for others on contract.
Attachments
IMG_4976.JPG
IMG_2975.JPG
IMG_2694.JPG
IMG_7792.JPG
IMG_7791.JPG
IMG_2691.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I only have two knife/ax combos and one I would like to make into a combo.
Case with the wood handles. Keenwell(made by Union Cutlery). And a Western ax and two knives I would like to combine into a single unit.
Attachments
CaseXXKnifAxWoodHandle2016.jpg
KeenwellKnifeAxCombination2016.jpg
WesternHatchet&F28&F48Knives.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I only have two knife/ax combos and two I would like to make into a combo.
Case with the wood handles. Keenwell(made by Union Cutlery). And a Western ax and two knives I would like to combine into a single unit and a Colonial ax/knife combo.
Attachments
CaseTestedXXKnifaxCombo2019 002.jpg
KeenwellOleanNYKnife-AxCombo2019 003.jpg
WesternAxe-F28-F48BKnives2019 002.jpg
ColonialAx-KnifeCombo2019.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

No Westerns, but I do have these.

Ken
Attachments
0966A6A3-4D33-4E4D-9B9E-87DEDFC7D401.jpeg
22018C69-CE1A-4DD8-9440-287A801250EF.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mountain Man Knives

Nice set a Combo's Mubleypeg - Thank's for sharing your Photos everyone - some real nice collections - I'm going to have to pick me up one them Case Tested XX one day - when the Stars line up and the Time is Right - That Is - Case had Manufactured this one Combo set that was a 3 Piece Set Stag Handles and Three Different Blades it has a Release Mechanism like their Famous Switchblades I have only seen two, one was just the Knife and I think I shared it on here one day and the other was one a month back and the Blades were badly worn and the Handles too - Think it was called the Sportsman Changeable Something Something - XXXXXXXX - not sure but that is one Relic I would like to see more of - again nice combo's and very nice Case Tested you got there Mumbleypeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Mountain Man Knives wrote:Nice set a Combo's Mubleypeg - Thank's for sharing your Photos everyone - some real nice collections - I'm going to have to pick me up one them Case Tested XX one day - when the Stars line up and the Time is Right - That Is - Case had Manufactured this one Combo set that was a 3 Piece Set Stag Handles and Three Different Blades it has a Release Mechanism like their Famous Switchblades I have only seen two, one was just the Knife and I think I shared it on here one day and the other was one a month back and the Blades were badly worn and the Handles too - Think it was called the Sportsman Changeable Something Something - XXXXXXXX - not sure but that is one Relic I would like to see more of - again nice combo's and very nice Case Tested you got there Mumbleypeg
Thanks for the compliments.

Is this the “3 piece set stag handles and three different blades, release mechanism like their switchblades” you’re talking about? This is the rare Case’s Sportsman set. Not my knife, pictures from the CCC Forum. Also, another one was just posted here a few days ago by Kennedy knives viewtopic.php?f=66&t=43896&start=390#p709878. There is also a picture of the set in Sargent’s 7th Edition, page 352.

Ken
Attachments
Case’s Sportsman
Case’s Sportsman
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Mountain Man Knives

Yes ....... that is it .....the one I seen before only had the skinning blade and this is the first time I have seen what the other one's truly looked like - pretty cool Sportsman Set - that handle is straight old school cool -
Mountain Man Knives

btrwtr wrote:Other than the variations that Case used on their single handle knife-ax there are only 3 other mechanisms with their own variations that I know of. Western's Knife-ax and the variations of it are particular to Western and the sets that they made for others on contract.

One heck of a Combo Collection you have there......are all those sheaths original.....the wood handle hatchet combo one at left bottom has a sheath I have never seen before, is that original -
WVbladetrade
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by WVbladetrade »

A nice selection of different Combo's.... knockout pieces...btrwtr I got a etched advertiser fixed blade Straight line cattaraugus like your combo stamp..
It's got what looks like the same stamp under the cat. can't make out what it says, I tried to read yours and can't make it out either. would appreciate your help. Tom
Tom
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very impressive combos, guys.
A pleasure to look at for sure.

Here's a Colonial set I have.
Attachments
DSCN6345.JPG
DSCN6348.JPG
Joe
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Mountain Man Knives wrote:
btrwtr wrote:Other than the variations that Case used on their single handle knife-ax there are only 3 other mechanisms with their own variations that I know of. Western's Knife-ax and the variations of it are particular to Western and the sets that they made for others on contract.

One heck of a Combo Collection you have there......are all those sheaths original.....the wood handle hatchet combo one at left bottom has a sheath I have never seen before, is that original -
Yes, the sheaths are all original. The sheath at bottom left is a sheath made on contract by C.P. Shipley. Shipley also made sheaths for some Case brand fixed blade knives. I've only owned two of these Shipley made sheaths and they are much harder to find than the knives.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

This is a very early, pre-patent date Case version. So this would be prior to 1935:
Attachments
101_2514.JPG
101_2515.JPG
101_2516.JPG
101_2517.JPG
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

And here is a Case Knif/ax with Stag handles from 1965-1969:
Attachments
101_2910.JPG
101_2911.JPG
101_2912.JPG
Gary

hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

And here is one that is a bit different. A three piece model from Imperial. It has the hatchet, the fixed blade, and also a Kamp King Scout knife that all fit into the same sheath set up. Hard to date these Imperials, but from the tang stamps it could be from 1956 - 1988.
Attachments
101_5126.JPG
101_5127.JPG
101_5128.JPG
Gary

hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

This one is actually a Western, although it was sold by Montgomery Ward under the Western Field name:
Attachments
101_4375.JPG
101_4377.JPG
101_4378.JPG
Gary

hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

And, in keeping with the title of the OP, here is a Western Hatchet and Knife Combo. The handle slabs are a real pretty yellow celluloid, that are in very good shape. The pictures don't capture it as the sun must have hit them badly.
Attachments
101_5009.JPG
101_5010.JPG
101_5011.JPG
101_5012.JPG
101_5013.JPG
101_5014.JPG
Gary

Mountain Man Knives

Just amazing.....I can only imagine all the faces of their once new owners upon getting all these relics either on their birthdays or Christmas or even a special delivery from a mail order catalog from Father and Mother , Ma and Pa , Mom and Dad to son and all..... and all their outings fishing trips and camping adventures they once traveled on - Very Cool Stuff - Isn't life a true blessing when it can be enjoyed - Wonderful Combo's Guys just Wonderful - I loved going camping as kid just loved everything about it - Very Blessed
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice show Gary!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”