New Puukko - Should Clean Up Pretty easy - Wasn't too expensive

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Mountain Man Knives

New Puukko - Should Clean Up Pretty easy - Wasn't too expensive

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

I've been watching these on eBay and it seems they have had a high asking price for sometime now the past few years at least - I have had one before, one other time and I managed to lose it one way or another and it was sentimental - been looking to acquire another one so when I seen this one with a pretty low asking price went ahead and purchased it - here is a youtube video on the craftsman and his wife that made these knives - I found this to be a special video myself - they show you how these knives were made from start to finish - from anvil to sheath - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs
Attachments
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: New Puukko - Should Clean Up Pretty easy - Wasn't too expensive

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks MMK. The video shows Kustaa Lammi making a knife. He and his father, Juho are the 2 most famous & highly revered knife smiths of all time. I think Kustaa died in 2002 at age 101.
Is your knife signed "K. Lammi" in the fuller ? It looks to be unused. Original tip is present !
I have a few puukkos but cannot read the names on most of them. The writing looks like a string of loops. The 2 i can read are "K. Lammi".
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That is certainly a very attractive example of an iconic pattern. I wonder if the handle is the type they made from casein, a milk protein. We have a puukko subthread here and this thread would look good there.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Great video.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mountain Man Knives

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks MMK. The video shows Kustaa Lammi making a knife. He and his father, Juho are the 2 most famous & highly revered knife smiths of all time. I think Kustaa died in 2002 at age 101.
Is your knife signed "K. Lammi" in the fuller ? It looks to be unused. Original tip is present !
I have a few puukkos but cannot read the names on most of them. The writing looks like a string of loops. The 2 i can read are "K. Lammi".
kj

Thanks, Kootenay Joe - Maybe after I get it cleaned up You can lend your knowledge and help with whom the Actual Maker may or may not of been - appreciated - glad you enjoyed the Video
Mountain Man Knives

tongueriver wrote:That is certainly a very attractive example of an iconic pattern. I wonder if the handle is the type they made from casein, a milk protein. We have a puukko subthread here and this thread would look good there.
"Casein Milk Protein" that's Interesting - I'm looking at it now and it cleaned up very nicely and its translucent spacers is one of my favorite features on this Puukko - it has the Words Made in Finland on the Flat Bevel of the Blade and inside it's Blood Groove is a line of Scripture and directly above it in the Center is another word.....Possibly the Makers Name - it's very tiny and hard for my eyes to make out let alone read Finnish - It's Pretty though -
Mountain Man Knives

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks MMK. The video shows Kustaa Lammi making a knife. He and his father, Juho are the 2 most famous & highly revered knife smiths of all time. I think Kustaa died in 2002 at age 101.
kj
I'm going to snap a few pictures for you to try and make out the makers mark and there is a signature in the fuller "whom is hard for me to see" maybe you will recognize it when you see it ~ give me a few and I will post some pictures -
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is VERY difficult to read the Finnish signatures in part because the names often have 2 vowels together and the writing is all done with 'loops'. Sometimes you might recognize a "K", "L" or "i".
kj
Mountain Man Knives

kootenay joe wrote:It is VERY difficult to read the Finnish signatures in part because the names often have 2 vowels together and the writing is all done with 'loops'. Sometimes you might recognize a "K", "L" or "i".
kj
Attachments
IMG_4243.JPG
IMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4246.JPG
IMG_4247.JPG
IMG_4248.JPG
Mountain Man Knives

Mountain Man Knives wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:It is VERY difficult to read the Finnish signatures in part because the names often have 2 vowels together and the writing is all done with 'loops'. Sometimes you might recognize a "K", "L" or "i".
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I cannot make out what is written there. This is the same with all but 2 or 3 of my 20 or so old Finnish puukkos. Some could have been made by one of the 5-10 famous old 'Smiths' but i have never been able to ID them. Someone who is Finnish would have a better chance of reading the signatures..
kj
Mountain Man Knives

kootenay joe wrote:I cannot make out what is written there. This is the same with all but 2 or 3 of my 20 or so old Finnish puukkos. Some could have been made by one of the 5-10 famous old 'Smiths' but i have never been able to ID them. Someone who is Finnish would have a better chance of reading the signatures..
kj

I am actually going to sell this one......I'm not in love with it........the one I had once prior was just like it the same style handle and sheath although it was a maroon leather material on its handle with the same translucent spacers and a black bake-lite pommel and it was in mint condition too - Thank You for your taking a look Koot ~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great clean up MM. ::tu::

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”