The DK ONLY KNIVES Knife Fairy put this in my mailbox today.

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Captain O

The DK ONLY KNIVES Knife Fairy put this in my mailbox today.

Post by Captain O »

This is a Unique Design Custom Handmade D2 Steel (Hrc 58-60) Bowie Knife From DK ONLY KNIVES, Bloomington, Indiana. It is 15.5" OAL, with a 10" blade. All told (discount included) it was $82.99 shipped to my door from Monday, April 1st to 11:54 this morning (April 4th). ::ds:: :mrgreen: 8) ::tu::

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/F90AAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

This knife is a "user" rather than a "wall hanger".

Opinion? Comments?
Steve Warden

Re: The DK ONLY KNIVES Knife Fairy put this in my mailbox today.

Post by Steve Warden »

Nice, but not practical for any of my needs or wants.

But that's me.

Carry and use with pride. It's a good looking knife. ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

For your instant gratification, here she is.
s-l1600.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I am not a Big Knife guy but if it works for you.. NICE!! Good looking knife I will say!! Congrats on the score!! ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I have two Bowie Knives: 1: An Ontario Spec-Ops SP-10 Marine Raider Bowie (new and made from 1075 Carbon Steel hardened to between 57-59 Hrc, and 2 The DK ONLY Knives Bowie. When I go out in the field, one of these will go as a "camp knife" along with a USN Mark 1 Deck Knife from KaBar. Lots of services can be performed by either "big knife". Both are great choices for splitting kindling, clearing brush and other duties.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Captain O wrote:I have two Bowie Knives: 1: An Ontario Spec-Ops SP-10 Marine Raider Bowie (new and made from 1075 Carbon Steel hardened to between 57-59 Hrc, and 2 The DK ONLY Knives Bowie. When I go out in the field, one of these will go as a "camp knife" along with a USN Mark 1 Deck Knife from KaBar. Lots of services can be performed by either "big knife". Both are great choices for splitting kindling, clearing brush and other duties.
I have one of the SP-10's and they are a monster of a knife!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

knife7knut wrote:
Captain O wrote:I have two Bowie Knives: 1: An Ontario Spec-Ops SP-10 Marine Raider Bowie (new and made from 1075 Carbon Steel hardened to between 57-59 Hrc, and 2 The DK ONLY Knives Bowie. When I go out in the field, one of these will go as a "camp knife" along with a USN Mark 1 Deck Knife from KaBar. Lots of services can be performed by either "big knife". Both are great choices for splitting kindling, clearing brush and other duties.
I have one of the SP-10's and they are a monster of a knife!
Handy, isn't it?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I wonder if "DK Only" is making these knives ? or are they importing them ? The blade profile, thick guard and handle composition do not resemble American styles.
kj
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

kootenay joe wrote:I wonder if "DK Only" is making these knives ? or are they importing them ? The blade profile, thick guard and handle composition do not resemble American styles.
kj
I believe that the DK ONLY KNIVES are being made here. I know of a both a Carolinian and Oregonian bladesmiths that are fabricating the same long clip-point Bowie Knives from worn-out Ferriers rasps. It is a later Bowie Knife with an Acorn-style blade.

A card that came with the Bowie Knife reads:

Dear Customer
We hope that you have received the item(s) in a timely manner and are satisfied with the quality Please leave a 5-star rating for all categories. Please note that leaving a 4 or lower star rating means that you are not 100% satisfied Please let us know how we can improve our products and services.
We pride ourselves in great quality products and customer service. If the item does not meet your expectations, feel free to contact us or return the item for a full refund.

You must admire that.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Captain, this "Dear Customer' note is standard for many ebay sellers. It does not say anything about where knife or knife parts have originated. However most important is that you like this knife. Where it was made or parts sourced from, is of academic interest only.
DK Only Knives has a website with pictures of knives being made and finished knives that look like the 'usual' USA custom knives. I did not see any knives there in the style of your knife.
kj
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

There was a limited number of this particular Bowie pattern. I was fortunate enough to snag the last one. There are other full-tang models of this pattern with olivewood panels riveted to the blade. (The F8 leaps to mind). The F8 pattern is nearly the same.

The quality of these knives is outstanding. ::tu::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Strange, the Randall Smithsonian Bowie looks a great deal like the Bowie I bought:

https://www.randallknives.com/wp-conten ... -smith.jpg

The main difference is the blade is an inch shorter and the clip point is a bit more elongated. Otherwise, it is, essentially, the same knife.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The more I fondle this Bowie, the more I like it. I might just buy one of their Hunting knives made in D2 steel.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”