Moroccan Style fixed blade info please

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Tony_Wood

Moroccan Style fixed blade info please

Post by Tony_Wood »

I picked up this knife because I liked it, and because the price was right.
Anyone have anything like it? The imbellishments are rather crude, as well as the handle. It was probably a tourist piece of many days ago. The leather is brittle and failing, but was what attracted me the most.
All of the work was by hand, sheath sewing, blade stamping, and handle carving. Though a bit crude, this also appealed to me.
Overall length is 14.75”

Please post pics of any such knives that you have.
Thanks.
C93BF116-E819-4437-A4E1-35316EE2DAF1.jpeg
EB4F5ACA-CEE4-412B-BA2B-F78D201A7E30.jpeg
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moroccan Style fixed blade info please

Post by doglegg »

Cool pick up Tony. Are you going to make one like it? If it was for tourist it is still a great piece of decoration. Cool pick up. ::nod:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Tony, I don’t know why I think this but what comes to mind is something from Mexico. I think it’s the sheath that looks like something I’ve seen in Mexico. Plus the crack in the handle. So many items made from wood in Mexico are made from wood that is not dried or treated. Tourist buy things and then when the get home a few weeks later it cracks.
Just a theory.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Tony, I too appreciate the hand work, in your knife!
This was one of those "touristy" things, I picked up, when we were stationed in Turkey. I too, liked that it was all hand done. There is a very fine brass wire inlayed throughout and mother of pearl. I don't remember what I payed for it... probably around $10-15. It's not sharp and mainly for display...but someone put some time in to it.
IMG_1281.jpg
IMG_1282.jpg
IMG_1283.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

doglegg wrote:Cool pick up Tony. Are you going to make one like it? If it was for tourist it is still a great piece of decoration. Cool pick up. ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks Floyd. Every knife I see is subject to a recreation, of only subtly. I do like the feeling of the piece.
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Tony, I don’t know why I think this but what comes to mind is something from Mexico. I think it’s the sheath that looks like something I’ve seen in Mexico. Plus the crack in the handle. So many items made from wood in Mexico are made from wood that is not dried or treated. Tourist buy things and then when the get home a few weeks later it cracks.
Just a theory.
SSk
Yes sir. I do agree that it came from another climate and dried oncenit entered this climate. I picked this piece up in Indiana. Perhaps it is from Mexico. The things that speaks Mediterranean is the pommel shape.
Doc B wrote:Tony, I too appreciate the hand work, in your knife!
This was one of those "touristy" things, I picked up, when we were stationed in Turkey. I too, liked that it was all hand done. There is a very fine brass wire inlayed throughout and mother of pearl. I don't remember what I payed for it... probably around $10-15. It's not sharp and mainly for display...but someone put some time in to it.
IMG_1281.jpg
IMG_1282.jpg
IMG_1283.jpg
Doc, thanks for the pics! It is amazing what intricate work one can pick up overseas for such paltry amounts! I always look for something handmade when in a mission trip overseas.
I enjoy the similarities of these pieces: pommel, curves blade, and blade decoration, though your piece is far more decorated than the one I picked up.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

If the knife has inhand balance and the edge is sharp or could be touched up to sharp then it probably is not a tourist piece. I have seen somewhat similar knives said to be from "North Africa" which i assume includes Morocco and Algeria which might be where this knife came from.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

It looks like a jambiya to me.Hard to tell where it came from as they were popular throughout the Middle East. Usually(but not always)a jambiya will be double edged and have a reinforcing rib running down the center of the blade.The curve is also a lot more pronounced.If you looked at the blade in cross section it is somewhat diamond shaped.Here is one that I have from the 17th century.
Attachments
Jambiya1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I think the op knife is Muslim or mid-eastern inspired, if not actually from that region. Those folk have their own names for different versions of that type, but the 'Western' word in print for a few centuries has been "scimitar," with attendant misspellings. Western butcher shops and packing plants have used a knife for cutting steaks out of big beef quarters, that has also called a scimitar (with attendant misspellings) or a 'steak' knife. Here is one with a Clyde, OH strong etch. It has some pepper but is otherwise new. Probably stored poorly.
Clyde scim 1.JPG
Clyde scim 2.jpg
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

kootenay joe wrote:If the knife has inhand balance and the edge is sharp or could be touched up to sharp then it probably is not a tourist piece. I have seen somewhat similar knives said to be from "North Africa" which i assume includes Morocco and Algeria which might be where this knife came from.
kj
The knife does have good balance. It is super sharp on one edge, and has a false edge on the other.
Thank you.
knife7knut wrote:It looks like a jambiya to me.Hard to tell where it came from as they were popular throughout the Middle East. Usually(but not always)a jambiya will be double edged and have a reinforcing rib running down the center of the blade.The curve is also a lot more pronounced.If you looked at the blade in cross section it is somewhat diamond shaped.Here is one that I have from the 17th century.
Thank you for the input. This blade is more oval in shape than it is diamond, but is definitely more pronounced in the middle. Has marking on it from finish draw filing.
That is a beauty of a blade that you posted. Thanks for the pic and post.
tongueriver wrote:I think the op knife is Muslim or mid-eastern inspired, if not actually from that region. Those folk have their own names for different versions of that type, but the 'Western' word in print for a few centuries has been "scimitar," with attendant misspellings. Western butcher shops and packing plants have used a knife for cutting steaks out of big beef quarters, that has also called a scimitar (with attendant misspellings) or a 'steak' knife. Here is one with a Clyde, OH strong etch. It has some pepper but is otherwise new. Probably stored poorly.
Clyde scim 1.JPG
Clyde scim 2.jpg
Thank you sir for the post. The first thought I had was middle Eastern when I saw the knife. There are no hallmarks on it, of course, but the blade shape and handle shape lends to that area

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”