I have a "yen" for a Buck "Frontiersman "

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Captain O

I have a "yen" for a Buck "Frontiersman "

Post by Captain O »

Any love for the Buck 124? I'll grant you that it is only a 6 1/4" blade Bowie knife, but it has the beef to take on just about any skinning task. You can probably run through at least three deer before having to "touch up" the blade. Buck sure makes some outstanding "fixed blade knives" (and has been since 1902).

Comments? Opinions? ::suspense::
tongueriver

Re: I have a "yen" for a Buck "Frontiersman "

Post by tongueriver »

Email sent!
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I would love to buy one, but couldn't afford it. I broke down and ordered an Ontario SP1. I can't buy a Frontiersman right now. Maybe next month. (It only ran me $26.99 on Amazon).
eveled

Post by eveled »

1210277A-2B26-4A22-8C3A-A736F976CC63.jpeg
A852F142-FD49-47E9-9071-CA789E763120.jpeg
I have several. One gets carried a lot. I had a sheathe made special so I can carry my 110 too!

It’s a real standout in Bucks line up. All Bucks ate full length tangs, but the 124 is full width too. It’s a nice knife. A lot better slicer than most bigger knives due to the convex grind. Holds a nice edge.

It is super easy to carry because it is only 6 inches long. I highly recommend this model. Well worth the money. The older ones have a slimmer rounded handle. The newer ones are more blocky. Both fit my hand fine. Just figured I mention it.
eveled

Post by eveled »

More pictures of mine.
F07099DC-C14D-44B0-A4D9-93A4CE1F1B5A.jpeg
2FA8430C-9F7B-4D9C-AC79-4475E5700484.jpeg
D3172AE7-88C5-4D4C-B50C-36AF9F230591.jpeg
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I bought a 124 in a Texas pawnshop about 10 years ago for $40. Someone thought it needed a lanyard hole in the buttcap, so they tried to drill a quarter-inch hole through the buttcap. Good plan, until they hit the steel tang. Doh!!!! So the knife was damaged cosmetically, but fine otherwise. I sold it for about twice what I paid in a moment of weakness.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

tallguy606 wrote:I bought a 124 in a Texas pawnshop about 10 years ago for $40. Someone thought it needed a lanyard hole in the buttcap, so they tried to drill a quarter-inch hole through the buttcap. Good plan, until they hit the steel tang. Doh!!!! So the knife was damaged cosmetically, but fine otherwise. I sold it for about twice what I paid in a moment of weakness.
Let that be a lesson to you! ::sotb::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

eveled wrote:1210277A-2B26-4A22-8C3A-A736F976CC63.jpeg
A852F142-FD49-47E9-9071-CA789E763120.jpeg

I have several. One gets carried a lot. I had a sheathe made special so I can carry my 110 too!

It’s a real standout in Bucks line up. All Bucks ate full length tangs, but the 124 is full width too. It’s a nice knife. A lot better slicer than most bigger knives due to the convex grind. Holds a nice edge.

It is super easy to carry because it is only 6 inches long. I highly recommend this model. Well worth the money. The older ones have a slimmer rounded handle. The newer ones are more blocky. Both fit my hand fine. Just figured I mention it.
That setup is SO impressive! I wish that I had such an arrangement to carry both a sheath knife and my Buck 110 Auto. This is the kind of innovation that makes carrying two knives both useful and practical.
eveled

Post by eveled »

It also in a weird way seems to hide the bigger knife. The 110 hangs below my jacket and that is all you see.
When you are ready pm me I’ll get you I touch with the maker.
817FE81C-9F7E-41A0-906F-9CA019B9E7A9.jpeg
41BBF096-3691-4E61-9F9E-87E91EDB0D40.jpeg
88E083D3-8142-4D8A-9784-2D71ACD7DB03.jpeg
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

I have had a newer Frontiersman for a couple years and I like it except for the square handles. It makes an excellent camp chopper. I've considered re-contouring the handles but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

ken98k wrote:I have had a newer Frontiersman for a couple years and I like it except for the square handles. It makes an excellent camp chopper. I've considered re-contouring the handles but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
If you want a real "camp chopper" that holds a decent edge, you can buy a nice Ontario Marine Raider (Spec Plus 10). I love mine.
eveled

Post by eveled »

People often complain about the squared off handle on the newer 124’s. I view it as a blank canvas. Lots of material to shape and make it your own. Nothing worse than an undersized knife handle. All you can do is wrap it.

Another option is to seek out an older one with the smaller. They are readily available on eBay.

A beautiful unused stag handled one just sold for a few dollars more than a new regular one.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Captain O wrote:
ken98k wrote:I have had a newer Frontiersman for a couple years and I like it except for the square handles. It makes an excellent camp chopper. I've considered re-contouring the handles but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
If you want a real "camp chopper" that holds a decent edge, you can buy a nice Ontario Marine Raider (Spec Plus 10). I love mine.
I did buy one for my son who is in the Marine Corp after he broke the K bar I gave him. :shock:
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Sorry to hear that he broke his KaBar. The 124 "Frontiersman" is a stout "Bowie-style" knife that will not fail under the most adverse conditions.

Eventually, I'll own one of these "bad boys".

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”