A,"moving" fixed blade.............

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
knife7knut

A,"moving" fixed blade.............

Post by knife7knut »

Picked up this one at a yard sale on Saturday on the way to lettering a race car.This and a Japanese hunter(I had two exactly the same except for the stamp)I bought for $3 apiece. I already had one of them with an orange handle but for the price I figured why not?
The owner told me he had gutted a deer with it once(a fillet knife?)and I had a tendency to believe him as there was the unmistakable evidence of fur remaining near where the blade goes into the handle.
Getting them home I figured a good disinfecting job was in order before I started cleaning it so I soaked it for a bit in hot water and hydrogen peroxide.
The name on the handle said "Fisherman's Solution" but there was no maker's name on it so I figured it was probably an inexpensive Japanese make.How wrong could I be?
I punched up the name on a search engine and much to my surprise I found that it was made by Cutco in Olean NY and that the blade length was adjustable from 6" to 9"(marked off from 6 to 9) by popping up a small tab on the right side of the handle and pulling the blade out to the desired length.The blade could also be completely pulled out for cleaning!
I dug the orange handled model out of a box to see if it was the same and sure enough;the black tab was on the side.I opened it and with a little tugging the blade slid out and exposed the Cutco name.
I tried with my newest one but it wouldn't budge.Apparently something had gotten down inside and solidified.By grasping the blade with a pair of pliers I finally managed to remove it.A bit of cleaning to the tang and running a small flat file into the slot in the handle and it works good as new.
The sheath is kind of unique as it swivels 90 degrees to become a large pair of grippers ostensibly for removing fish hooks or holding the fish while you remove the hook.The back of the sheath has a small sharpening stone for knife and a groove in it for hooks.A notch cut into the sheath allows the blade edge to be exposed enough to cut a line in an emergency.
Checking e-Bay to see what they were asking for I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was considerably more than the $3 I had paid for it.The orange handled one I think I paid $15 for but that was still reasonable.
The pictures show the comparison from short to long and in 1 inch increments.
Attachments
CutcoModel5720AdjustableLengthFilletKnife 001.jpg
CutcoModel5720AdjustableLengthFilletKnife 002.jpg
CutcoModel5720AdjustableLengthFilletKnife 003.jpg
CutcoModel5720AdjustableLengthFilletKnife 004.jpg
CutcoModel5720AdjustableLengthFilletKnife 005.jpg
CutcoModel5720AdjustableLengthFilletKnife 006.jpg
CutcoModel5720AdjustableLengthFilletKnife 007.jpg
Fisherman'sSolutionBlackHandle$3 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
zzyzzogeton

Re: A,"moving" fixed blade.............

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Kinda cool. Never seen one before, but then I'm not drawn to the Cutco label the way I am to Kabar and Western.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I have never seen one either, and although I have been to the Cutco visitor's center a couple of times I have never owned a Cutco knife. Interesting design and looks like a fairly useful fisherman's tool. I have a friend with a knife that has the same type of extendable blade that was made in the early 1800s so the design concept is quite old.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very interesting knife. Would definitely be useful, at the lake! ::tu::
...I'd be interested to see some before and after pictures, in the General Off Topic Discussion thread...of some of your race car lettering. ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Doc B wrote:Very interesting knife. Would definitely be useful, at the lake! ::tu::
...I'd be interested to see some before and after pictures, in the General Off Topic Discussion thread...of some of your race car lettering. ::tu::
Would be happy to do so Doc.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”