Your opinion please...

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
XX Case XX

Your opinion please...

Post by XX Case XX »

I'd like to hear comments on this knife. Real? Reproduction? Anything? Your own personal opinion.

As always, any and all comments are welcome. ::nod:: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Carbon ... %7Ciid%3A1

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
knife7knut

Re: Your opinion please...

Post by knife7knut »

XX Case XX wrote:I'd like to hear comments on this knife. Real? Reproduction? Anything? Your own personal opinion.

As always, any and all comments are welcome.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Other than the sellers listing title, I don't see anything on the knife indicating it's a Sta-Sharp branded knife. Am I missing something ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I believe it has a Stay Sharp etch but I don't think it is related to our antique Sta Sharp pocket knives.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

knife7knut wrote:For that price I'd buy it just to have it.
That's exactly what I was thinking. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sears sold Sta-Sharp fixed blades, kitchen style, not hunting style. The Sta-Sharp etches wear off easily and then you have to hold blade at just the right angle to make out what it says.
I think it likely is an older Sta-Sharp knife, maybe 1960's as a guess. For $12 it is a steal of a deal !
If you don't want it, i will buy it. Let me know.
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Catalog pages...
Attachments
Sears Sta Sharp & Kwik Kut Catalog Page_Page_1.jpg
Sears Sta Sharp & Kwik Kut Catalog Page_Page_2.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Right on Steve. The old Sears catalogs are great to document the Sears knives and the dates when they were being sold. Only problem is there are about 1,000 old Sears catalogs, some have over 1,000 pages and they can sell on ebay for up to $100 per catalog. But they are a great historical record for thousands of items.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Sears catalog page above shows a 4 blade Utility, 9548. Here is a Sta-Sharp "Camp" knife, 9548. The etch is not clear in this picture but is easy to see in person.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7489.JPG
IMGP7490.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Also someone asked if all Sta-Sharp knives were made by Camillus. The vast majority were but a few were made by Ulster. I did have a Sta-Sharp Dogleg jack with very dark stag handles that looks similar to the stag used by Schrade Cut. Co.
Here is a Craftsman 9533 with an Ulster/Knife/Co tang marking. The etch says "Craftsman" rather than "Sta-Sharp" which is how some of the Sta-Sharps were marked.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7493.JPG
IMGP7491.JPG
IMGP7492.JPG

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”