Help on ID large fixed blade

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Help on ID large fixed blade

Post by terryl308 »

Just bought this knife at a local gun show and was wondering if anyone ever heard of N.R. Wilson from Limon,Co? That is what is scratched on the blade in front of the guard and the opposite side has a "2" on it. The handle has a name (Frank M. Ashcraft) engraved on the bottom of the tang (owner, I assume). The blade is made of 3/16" thick carbon steel and is almost 8 inches long. The double guard is nickel silver and the antler handle has 3 brass pins and has shrunk a little over the years. The butt seems to be forged with the tang. It is a well built knife and everything is tight. I've tried to Google the names and haven't come up with anything, I know this is a long shot but hoping someone has heard of the maker. No sheath by the way, but I made one. Thanks, Terry
Attachments
DSC_0018 (1).JPG
DSC_0019 (1).JPG
DSC_0020 (1).JPG
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0021 (1).JPG
DSC_0022 (1).JPG
DSC_0023 (1).JPG
DSC_0024 (1).JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Doc B

Re: Help on ID large fixed blade

Post by Doc B »

I'm no help, on the origins of your knife; but, it is a very nice looking one! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
tunefink

Post by tunefink »

I do not know the maker, but the construction is very reminiscent of a Rudy Ruana knife. Google vintage Ruana's and I think you will see the influence. Cool old knife, congrats.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Terry no help from me but it is a very impressive knife. Do be so modest, show us the sheath. ::nod:: ::nod::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Terry:You might try contacting Steve Nolen in Longmont CO.He is a custom knifemaker as was his dad and uncle and he might know the name.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Thanks for the responses, I emailed the news paper in Limon this am and will let you know if they have any info. I will try Steve nolen also. I can see the Ruana influence and have owned a few,, Rudy also used a elec. pencil to write his name on some of his knives, ,maybe this Wilson was a student of his? I'll send a photo of the sheath I made, nothing fancy , just something to put the knife in. Terry
Attachments
DSC_0025.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great work on the sheath. They go well together. ::tu::
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Dogleg, My investigation worked! The lady from the Limon paper put it on their facebook and I got 4 responses. I sold the knife back to the makers nephew and his granddads name is on the knife so they were pretty excited to get it back, The old gentleman who made it is 92 years old and made it in the 50's and was a welder/blacksmith back in Limon, Co. He is coming up on Friday to pick it up. No Ruana connection. Made my day to return it to the family. Renewed my faith in people, there are a few around yet. Terry
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Terry that is a great ending to the story. I bet the nephew is excited. Is the maker coming with him to pick it up? Would be wonderful to meet him. You and he would have a lot in common as you are both knife makers. Wow, thanks for giving us the rest of the story. ::handshake::
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Doglegg, No the maker isn't coming along, I believe he lives quite a few miles away from Limon, which is about 150 miles from here, so probably too long a trip for the ole boy. Maybe I can get down to see him some day. I'll have more info about him after the guy picks up the knife on Friday. ::tu:: Terry
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Terry that is a very good thing you are doing, well done! ::tu::
steve99f
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I love stories like this! This is what makes knife accumulation so worthwhile. Good show Terry!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Thanks 99f & all, it seemed like right thing to do, I hope I can meet Mr. Wilson some day soon. I am a history nut and enjoy reading about local history , Just finished a book called "Cheyenne War" by Jeff Broome. It is about the Indians and settlers on the Denver Road haulng freight just south of where I live 1864-69, a lot of local history which I really like to read about. I guess I got off the subject! ::shrug:: Terry
"
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

The end of my story, Rick Ashcraft came up last Friday and got his Granddads knife. He brought along a butcher knife that his granddad built also. Happy ending! I am the short ugly guy, Rick is the tall one. ::handshake:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_0031.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

This whole story turned out sweet. Thanks for keeping us informed. ::handshake::
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Follow up, Mike Hangas of Ruana Knives did email me back and confirmed it was not one of Rudy's knives. I thought it was nice of him to take the time to respond. Terry

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”