Case knife ID

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
makeminea4wt

Case knife ID

Post by makeminea4wt »

Hello all. New to the forum. Need some help on the ID of a Case fixed blade. Found this stuck in the top of a fence post in the woods. Was quite rusted and weathered but cleaned up decently. Blade is 3 1/2" and thin spring type steel. Knife is very narrow. I am curious as to the era it was manufactured and a "name", if there was one. No telling how long it was in the fence post. It was on a 1920's farm where I was doing some metal detecting.
Hope someone can help with some info.
Attachments
IMG_1716.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1718.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case knife ID

Post by edge213 »

I can't help you with this knife, but welcome to AAPK.
Cool find.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Knife appears to be from the "Kinfolks era" 1926-1932. Kinfolks made the same model for Cattaraugus and a few other companies. The blade shows a lot of wear, the edge is down over 1/8". Case and Cattaraugus formed Kinfolks in 1925 to make fixed blades for both companies but Case took manufacturing back to Bradford around 1932. Kinfolks continued to make fixed blade for Catt up to WW2 and made knives with their own mark in Little Valley until they were bought by Robeson around 1956 and Robeson made Kinfolks marked knives until they went out of business in the mid 1960s. Kinfolks was a prolific maker of contract knives for other companies, I know of at least 15 other companies whose fixed blade knives were made by Kinfolks.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Some hunter was saying, Where the heck did I put that knife??? Feel bad for the guy, whoever it was. Heard a story about a guy who was helping his brother in law load a flatbed trailer. He used his Tony Bose Case knife to cut some rope and laid it on the fender of the trailer, never to be seen again.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Neat find!
Welcome to AAPK
::welcome::
::handshake::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Very nice "metal" find.

Bob
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great old Case fixed blade, in pretty decent shape considering. ::welcome:: to AAPK!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Can't help you out with the name of the knife, but that tang stamp was used on pocket knives 1932-1940. However, might have been different for fixed blades. Nice old find! I would agree with gunsil in that it was a Kinfolk era knife. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Bcorbin13

Post by Bcorbin13 »

Question about age of knife, I have three or four Case 6254 all from the seventies. You can tell there are dots but can not tell exactly how many. How do you determine the proper year short of taking it apart ? Thanks..
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You try to guesstimate it from the position of the visible dots.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Bcorbin13

Post by Bcorbin13 »

Thanks, best guess would be 75 or earlier is what I'm thinking. Thanks Ken.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”