Some of mine!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some of mine!

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Mark, it’s too utilitarian looking. There is just no “style”.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I see your point Mark, it is pretty "boxy" looking! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have this reproduction of a British and Allied Forces Commando dagger to show today guys! In appearance it looks very much like the Wilkinson Sword model, albeit 1" shorter at 10 1/2"/SS full-tang duel-edged dagger blade, SS hilt-guard, and SS handle with cross-cut texturing. Came with a black leather sheath. Weighs about 9 oz.'s. and is completely unmarked. Was purchased along with a tanto knife I received from the U.K., and feels very solid in-hand. Nice inexpensive replica. 8)
WIN_20200711_09_52_19_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good looking replica based I'm fairly sure on the Fairbairn-Sykes knife.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ya know, I thought the same thing Garry, but then I saw a Wilkinson Sword model in the "Kennedy Knives" store here at AAPK, and the model I have looks much closer to it than the Fairbairn-Sykes model. Only subtle differences, like the tapering of the handle, but still more like the Wilkinson. Take a look at it and see what you think. Item #29615(Sold out) 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:27 am I have my doubts that a knife that long would be used by SOE agents. It would be extremely hard to conceal. But its a nice story and probably helps sell knives. It is an interesting piece. Reminds me of shanks that I have seen pictures of from prison. Just wanted to point out that I don’t have any personal experience w/ shanks, or prison, yet.
I'm not so sure that this wasn't an SOE weapon Mark. I stumbled across a site, www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com , and it's a site chock-full of military knives, history, and information, and in their pics there were a few very similar 3-edged daggers and "nails", and according to the info, these were used by the SOE and OSS as stabbing weapons, with some of them as long as 9 3/4", and others that appeared even longer but no lengths were stated, which is not that much of a stretch from the 11" model I showed. Most of them also showed concealment sheaths that go with the knives. The entire site is dedicated to knives from the various past wars and have been collected by the owner, so perhaps their info is correct. Doesn't really matter though, I just thought I'd mention this. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have a string of dagger like fixies to show guys, and I'll start with these 2! These, to the best of my knowledge are called Tai Pan knives. There's a bit of a story behind these 2, so I hope I don't bore you telling it. In the 1st. pic is a Cold Steel "Grivory" Tai Pan, grivory being a substance that is non-metalic and tough as nails, and I believe invented by Cold Steel, although I'm not 100% sure it was their invention. If someone knows for sure I'd love to hear about it. Anyhoo, the dagger is 13" from tip-to-pommel, constructed in 1 piece, likely from a mold, with a duel-edged dagger blade, round hilt, cross-cut textured scales, and lanyard hole. I watched Cold Steel videos of their staff totally abusing this knife by stabbing layers of cardboard and punching bags, as well as putting the blade in a vise and bending the knife to a nearly 90 degree angle, and having it snap right back into place! Tough to say the least! I had seen cloned versions of the metal knife, which is the one in the 2nd. pic, and ordered it, twice, 3 times actually. The 1st. order got lost in shipping, and the 2nd order was, I believe, added to some Customs agent's collection, because when the package arrived with 2 other knives I had ordered, my Tai pan wasn't in it, and, the package had been opened by Customs. At first I thought that perhaps it had been seized by Customs due to it having duel-edges, but after checking if duel-edged knives were legal to import, and finding that they are, I realized it had been either not packed by the shipper, removed by Customs, or stolen by a postal employee. Upon confirming with the seller that they had indeed packed it, I became pretty sure of what had happened to it. During the midst of all these problems I spotted the grivory model, and being consigned to the fact that I might never receive the metal version, I ordered the grivory one. My first 2 orders were fully refunded by the sellers, which I thought was pretty great since they had done their part by packing and shipping it, so I tried a 3rd. time, and as the saying goes, "third time lucky", and finally received my knife! Now, the knife I bought is definitely a clone, because the originals sell for over $300., and mine ran me all of US$32. The knife I first saw had a mirror-polished blade, and that was a big part of the attraction, but those were always sold out so I settled for an all black one. The metal knife is 1/4" shorter than the grivory model, is likely SS/oxide coating, and has the same hilt, textured scales, and lanyard hole as the other. One weighs about 2 oz.'s and the other about 9 oz.'s, and I'll leave it up to you to determine which is which! lol! Both knives came with razor-sharp duel-edges, and the standard nylon sheath with the grivory, but a nice black leather sheath with the metal knife. The grivory model came completely unmarked, and the metal version with "Tai*Pan" etched on the front tang, and "COLD STEEL" etched on the rear tang, but, coming out of China you can be sure it's nothing more than an etch! 8)
WIN_20200712_12_24_38_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200712_12_25_40_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

You do like your daggers Marco. :) Congratulations. When the history of knives is written Cold Steel will have to have a chapter devoted to itself.
Always unusual and interesting designs, and usually well executed.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yes, I guess I do Garry, thanks! ::nod:: Somethin' about their sleek profile just seems to grab me, and I can't seem to get enough of em! Please keep watching as I have about 20 more to show ya! ::tu:: And CS sure do make some fairly nice stuff, and, mostly affordable! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Interesting knives. I remember years ago, probably close to 20 years ago, each order I got from SMKW included a video of Cold Steel knives being abused and misused, cutting stacks of cardboard and then cutting a side of beef. It was a pretty good sales idea. Cold Steel does have an interesting history.
Many of these daggers look like they would be so tempting to throw at a target. If I had that many, I would probably have broken tips and broken handles all over the place.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I also saw the C/S video of them cutting into a side-of-beef Mark, and the knife sliced through it like it was butter, AFTER it had punctured about 10 layers of 1" cardboard sheets! Strong selling ploy! I don't know a lot about their history, so maybe I'll do some research on them. It's ironic that you mention throwing knives, because just this morning I messaged the guy who sold me 5 of his autos, to show him a skeletonized diving knife I had received recently, and he relayed that when he was about 20 yrs. old he got the idea to learn how to throw a knife properly and make it stick. He went on to say that he ruined a few before he realized you can't just use any old knife as a throwing knife, and eventually bought one exactly like the one I was showing him, but even after he had aced the practise, that knife eventually snapped in 2, so I guess there's a definite art to throwing one properly, unless one doesn't mind ruining their knives. Nothing more satisfying than getting the correct number of revolutions down pat, and having it sink deeply into the target. I have some coming up that are much better suited for throwing, so keep watching! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Cold Steel, and no doubt others, offers knives specifically designed for throwing.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yes they do, and they can get pricey too! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Good morning fellas! I previously posted this knife I have today on a different thread, but I wanted you guys to also see it, so I'll post it here as well. This is the other knife I received from the U.K. that came along with the fighting dagger I have already posted, and it's a nice little piece. It is a 10" Tanto knife/SS full-tang blade with spine swedge, NS bolsters with accent grooves, brass pins, and dark walnut scales with a beautiful grain pattern and indents for gripping. Weighing-in at 8 oz.'s and arrived with a leather sheath. The knife is unmarked and was handmade by a builder from CFK-Cutlery in the United Kingdom. It came razor-sharp and would make for a useful utility knife, although, this one is designated to nothing more than opening letters and taking it's place in my collection! 8)
WIN_20200713_09_44_45_Pro.jpg
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

That is one lovely Tanto marco ::nod:: . The bolster, walnut, and pinning set it right off for me.

Excellent addition to your collection ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Willy, it's the one I showed in the other thread where you showed your bone handled Tanto, but no matter how hard mine tries, it'll never be as nice as that one! That is one gorgeous knife you own my friend, congrats! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That tanto is nice. I like that one too.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark, ::tu:: I kindda thought you'd like the slim profile on that one! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Guess what guys, I have another dagger to show you today! Big surprise, huh? If it weren't for all the cheesy advertising that's plastered all over one side of this knife, I'd like it a lot more, and ever since I first saw it I've been planning on using some rubbing alcohol to try to rub the paint off, but I keep putting it off for another day and then forget to do so, but now that's it's out of it's display to take the pics this just might be the day! It's an 11 1/2" "Rambo First Blood Part II" dagger/duel-edged blade, 1-piece oxide coated SS construction, G-10 insert on the hollowed-out handle, and lanyard hole. The side I'm showing in the pics is totally blank, BUT, on the flip-side there is Sly's signature in paint on the blade(YUK!) ::td::, and, "RAMBO FIRST BLOOD PART II" in paint on the front tang(DOUBLE YUK!) ::td:: ::td::. It weighs about 6 oz.'s and came with the standard nylon sheath, and is only 1/2" thick at the widest point of the handle. Arrived with both edges razor-sharp. The makers could have actually left the handle skeletonized and not inserted the G-10, although, it does help make it a little heavier and improves the grip factor. A nice dagger had they not ruined it with their advertising! 8)
WIN_20200714_10_14_51_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200714_10_15_16_Pro.jpg
8)
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:26 pm I also saw the C/S video of them cutting into a side-of-beef Mark, and the knife sliced through it like it was butter, AFTER it had punctured about 10 layers of 1" cardboard sheets! Strong selling ploy! I don't know a lot about their history, so maybe I'll do some research on them. It's ironic that you mention throwing knives, because just this morning I messaged the guy who sold me 5 of his autos, to show him a skeletonized diving knife I had received recently, and he relayed that when he was about 20 yrs. old he got the idea to learn how to throw a knife properly and make it stick. He went on to say that he ruined a few before he realized you can't just use any old knife as a throwing knife, and eventually bought one exactly like the one I was showing him, but even after he had aced the practise, that knife eventually snapped in 2, so I guess there's a definite art to throwing one properly, unless one doesn't mind ruining their knives. Nothing more satisfying than getting the correct number of revolutions down pat, and having it sink deeply into the target. I have some coming up that are much better suited for throwing, so keep watching! 8)
Hey Marco,

On throwing knives, ANY knife can be thrown at least once. Any knife not properly designed to be a throwing knife will snap long before a "throwing knife" will break. Even "throwing knives" occasionally break.

The key reason is hardness - throwing knives should be "softer" than "real use knives". Throwing knives should have an Rc of 47 to 53, at most. This allows them to have more "give" to them for the impact shock. The vibrational shock of a thrown knife is what snaps them.

The second reason for knives to snap when being thrown is stress points. ANY hole of any shape can cause a blade to snap, even a completely circular hole. The only holes I tolerate in a throwing knife - way back near the pommel to serve as a hanging hole, heat treating support hole, coating hanging hole. Knives without holes can and do snap, bit for every "holeless" knife that snaps, another dozen with holes snap. And it's not just holes. Knives with strange cutouts along the knife's outside margin cause stress points.

And folders should never be thrown. No folding knife hinge pin is strong enough to last long when thrown.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That’s great information. I did not know that the Rc was that low on throwing knives, makes sense. You always see knives of all types thrown in movies. When I was a kid, it seemed that every western had a knife thrown in it. I tried doing that w/ the results you mentioned.
I wonder if there are many on the forum that are into throwing knives?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks ZZ, I appreciate all the information. ::tu:: Everything you stated makes perfect sense to me. ::nod:: I think a good example of what you're describing would be in the Steven Segal movie, "Under Siege", where he's a cook on a military ship and has a scene in the galley where he throws a knife into a piece of burl hanging on the wall, and that knife appears to be a solid 1-piece knife with a very sharp edge. They actually sell that same knife in sets of 3 and describe them as "Throwing Knives". It brings to mind another movie scene from "S7even" in which Morgan Freeman is in his apartment throwing his switchblade into a dartboard, and every time I see it I cringe, because it just rubs me wrong to see him risk damaging a nice knife in such a manner. He always sticks it though! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Cool dagger Marko ::nod:: .

And thank you for the info ZZ, helped fill in me prior fuzzy knowledge on throwing knives ::handshake:: .

Hey Mark! Love you new decal. Very fitting to your personality ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:30 am Cool dagger Marko ::nod:: .

And thank you for the info ZZ, helped fill in me prior fuzzy knowledge on throwing knives ::handshake:: .

Hey Mark! Love you new decal. Very fitting to your personality ::tu:: .
Thanks Willy, Trying to establish a brand. Have some exciting things in the works.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Good for you! ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”