Some of mine!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Some of mine!

Post by Quick Steel »

I know knife steels can be a bit confusing. There was a time before I was born when carbon steel was used on most pocket knives. When stainless steel was produced there was a lot of resistance to it. The common thought was that carbon steels could be sharper and retain their sharpness longer than a stainless blade. Today stainless steels have won out, much more common on pocket knives.

What is the difference between stainless, which will still have some carbon in it, and a high carbon steel, non-stainless steel.

The most basic blade steel is a blend of iron and carbon. It will easily rust and stain so it needs extra cleaning and oiling.
Things begin to change when other elements are added into the steel for the purpose of achieving different attributes. Steel becomes "stainless" when at least 10.5% chromium is added. I have seen other percentages given such as 12% or 14%. Stainless would be more accurately called rust or stain resistant because over time and with neglect they too can develop rust. Just not as easily as high carbon.

There is a significant population of traditional knife users who still prefer carbon blades. There are also custom knife makers who favor high carbon over working with stainless.

Today, there are many different kinds of steel that have been developed for sharpness and endurance. Some of these are priced at a stiff premium.

Marc, I suggest when you have time you visit the AG Russell web site. There you will find a comprehensive article giving an overview of the steel scene.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, just to add a bit more confusion to the topic. There are stainless steels that are identified as high carbon stainless. This is legitimate because manufacturers have learned how to add more carbon while pumping up the chrome. So there are now certainly stainless blades that can be incredibly sharp.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I like the file work on that one. I’m usually not a fan of firework on backsprings, but on a fixed blade it looks great and makes more sense to me. And Garry is correct about the steel. 1095 should be a lot easier to sharpen than stainless steel. 1095 and D-2 are really popular right now, I think that GEC has made it popular again. People, like me, find that they are better at sharpening when it’s a carbon steel blade. It can take a lot of work to get stainless to sharpen correctly. So if you were using that one it would be the one you would find a joy to resharpen.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for the info Garry! So if I know that 440B steel is, 0.75%-carbon + 13.7%-chromium, then it would stand to reason that 0.95%-carbon + 18.0%-chromium is a better steel, right? I'll mosey over to A.G.R. and read about it, thx again! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark, I've never been a fan of file-work either, but on the fixed blades it does add to the character of the knife. And thx as well for the sharpening info, since I don't actually use any of my knives I've never been concerned about what steel they are, or how sharp they are, or for how long they stay sharp, but for someone who does use their knives I can see those factors being very important. Good to know though so I can accurately describe the blades. 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, remember that even if you only display your knives they will need periodic attention. This goes double for carbon blades. Humidity can quickly result in rust.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Garry! I Walker Wax(same as Renaissance Wax)them about 3 times a year, as well as oil the pivots and wipe them down, but thanks all the same for the info, because where I live we get extended periods of 100% humidity and you can feel the moisture in the air. Now that I'm aware of it I will give special attention to any I know are high carbon, and treat them like I would with Damascus steel by applying mineral oil to the blades. Thx again, Mark! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have this little bowie to show today guys, and although inexpensive it turned out to be a very nice piece! Very little information was provided in the description, so I'll go by the etchings and try to describe it to you. When I first saw it I really liked the smooth lines and simple profile, and once it arrived it lived up to it's appearance. It's a "Columbia" 12 1/2" full-tang bowie knife/SS(has "SO54" etched on the front tang, so that might be the grade of SS, don't really know)drop-point blade, SS handle/G-10 inserts and vine+flower etchings, screw construction, and lanyard hole in the pommel. Has an encircled dove a well as "Columbia", "YuHui Company", and a US flag/"USA SABER" etched on the front blade. Weighs about 10 oz.'s. The knife arrived razor-sharp, and much like others I've shown, has finger-grooves that fit my hand perfectly. This bowie is built solid and would make for a very useful tool when hunting or fishing, although in this case is only for collection purposes. Only cost me US$35./delivered from Bulgaria, and as I stated in my on-site review, I'd have paid twice that much for it. Nice knife! 8)
WIN_20200707_13_09_13_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very unusual and interesting piece. A 7 or 8 inch blade?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

It's 7 1/2" Garry, so you had it pegged pretty close! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Mark is that Columbia the same as CRKT? Just curious about the marking on that. I like the looks of that knife.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have a few knives that are marked "Columbia", and have the US flag with "USA SABER" etch, and I've often wondered the same thing Mark. There's no indication on any of them that they're CRKT's, but CRKT does stand for Columbia River Knife and Tool, so perhaps it's an abbreviation? I'll do some research and see what I can find, although, my gut is telling me they're different companies. 8) EDIT: I highly doubt that the 2 companies are the same Mark, because, CRKT is based out of Oregon, and the markings on all my Columbia models have different markings, such as, "Jinlang Co."/"Funjunjie Co."/"YuHui" Co. etc., and those are Chinese names so it's unlikely the 2 are connected. Also, when I search "CRKT knives" and "Columbia knives" separately, I get different results from both. Although Columbia knives are decent builds, CRKT knives are of much better quality, which I'm sure you know already! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have this nifty little dagger to show today guys, and it's a pretty cool piece! I received it from Poland via ebay, and it was described as an "SOE Agent's Dagger". It measures exactly 11" from tip-to-butt-end, is constructed from 1-piece of brushed steel, has a 3-sided blade, accented sections on the handle, and removeable finger-guards or "ears". Is completely unmarked and weighs about 8 oz.'s. A very nice leather sheath was included with a clip for your boot or belt. The blades are totally dull since this would be used more as a puncturing knife, as opposed to a cutting knife. I'm unaware of what "SOE" represents, although, it was bunched in with terms like "CIA" and "OSS" agents knife, so I'd imagine it is some kind of spy or Special Forces weapon. When I first saw this knife I thought the removeable "ears" were kindda cool, so I bought it and wasn't disappointed when it arrived. A handy little dagger! 8)
WIN_20200708_11_42_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200708_11_48_26_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, the SOE was the British Special Operations Executive which was responsible for many clandestine operations: sabotage, assassinations, rerecon, etc. etc.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Garry, I was hoping someone who knew what it meant would explain! Ya learn somethin' new everyday! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I have my doubts that a knife that long would be used by SOE agents. It would be extremely hard to conceal. But its a nice story and probably helps sell knives. It is an interesting piece. Reminds me of shanks that I have seen pictures of from prison. Just wanted to point out that I don’t have any personal experience w/ shanks, or prison, yet.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Awesome knives your showing off Marco.

You have a very neat, and interesting collection, to say the least.

Thank you for sharing your finds, and can't wait to see what else you've dug up in the interweb's.

::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mark! I doubt your "yet" was necessary, unless there's something you're not telling us! lol! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Willy, I appreciate your encouraging comments! I have a few more so I'll try to "WOW" you again! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::rotflol::

Real funny fellers, real funny. Ha, ha, ha.

::sotb::

And thank you Mark, i'm happy I made you happy, and that made my day 8) .

::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hi fellas! I have these 2 dagger to post today, which were purchased separately because at the time I ordered the large model, the small model wasn't available, at least not from the site I was on. These are United Cutlery M48 Highland Dirks, measuring 14 3/4" and 9 1/2" respectively. They are constructed nearly identically but for the lengths and pommel/2Cr13 SS full-tang blades that are oxide coated and satin surface ground, and sport blood grooves with through-holes as well as jimping on the top edges, SS bolsters and pommel(large knife), jet-black TPR? scales with skull+crossed lightning bolts stamps and held on with screws, and lanyard holes. They have "M48" etched on the front blade, and "UC3257" and "UC3154" respectively, as well as "STAINLESS STEEL" and "CHINA" etched on the rear blades. The large knife weighs-in at a hefty 10 oz.'s, and the small at about 5 oz.'s. Both came relatively sharp and with quality sheaths. A couple of reviewers stated that their blade-tips arrived bent, but I guess I got lucky cuz both mine were arrow straight. These are very likely useful knives, but like my others, are only for my collection! 8)
WIN_20200709_13_02_10_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200709_13_02_38_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Nice! Keep them coming.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Sam, will do! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have this knife to post today guys! It's an Amazon purchase, and I got it before the price increased drastically. It's a "Made in China" piece, although, it's not marked so. It's made by Mtangbao and measures 10 3/4" sheathed, and 10 1/4" unsheathed/D2 SS 5mm full-tang tanto blade, SS pins, and what appears to be a Mahogany frame, although the description didn't provide exactly what it is. Weighs a very hefty 12.3 oz.'s, and arrived scary-sharp. There is the word "Kibu" and a Chinese symbol etched on the front blade, but otherwise unmarked. One reviewer stated that he started a fire using the spine of the blade, but I can't see abusing such a nice piece in that manner. Fits right in with my collection of unusual fixies! 8)
WIN_20200710_12_30_35_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200710_12_31_11_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, you correctly refer to your knife as having (an American style) tanto blade. What were you referring to with the word Katana which is the large Japanese style sword with a typical blade of around 30 inches give or take a few?

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”