Some of mine!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some of mine!

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I have my doubts that a knife that long would be used by SOE agents. It would be extremely hard to conceal. But its a nice story and probably helps sell knives. It is an interesting piece. Reminds me of shanks that I have seen pictures of from prison. Just wanted to point out that I don’t have any personal experience w/ shanks, or prison, yet.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Awesome knives your showing off Marco.

You have a very neat, and interesting collection, to say the least.

Thank you for sharing your finds, and can't wait to see what else you've dug up in the interweb's.

::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mark! I doubt your "yet" was necessary, unless there's something you're not telling us! lol! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Willy, I appreciate your encouraging comments! I have a few more so I'll try to "WOW" you again! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::rotflol::

Real funny fellers, real funny. Ha, ha, ha.

::sotb::

And thank you Mark, i'm happy I made you happy, and that made my day 8) .

::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hi fellas! I have these 2 dagger to post today, which were purchased separately because at the time I ordered the large model, the small model wasn't available, at least not from the site I was on. These are United Cutlery M48 Highland Dirks, measuring 14 3/4" and 9 1/2" respectively. They are constructed nearly identically but for the lengths and pommel/2Cr13 SS full-tang blades that are oxide coated and satin surface ground, and sport blood grooves with through-holes as well as jimping on the top edges, SS bolsters and pommel(large knife), jet-black TPR? scales with skull+crossed lightning bolts stamps and held on with screws, and lanyard holes. They have "M48" etched on the front blade, and "UC3257" and "UC3154" respectively, as well as "STAINLESS STEEL" and "CHINA" etched on the rear blades. The large knife weighs-in at a hefty 10 oz.'s, and the small at about 5 oz.'s. Both came relatively sharp and with quality sheaths. A couple of reviewers stated that their blade-tips arrived bent, but I guess I got lucky cuz both mine were arrow straight. These are very likely useful knives, but like my others, are only for my collection! 8)
WIN_20200709_13_02_10_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200709_13_02_38_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Nice! Keep them coming.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Sam, will do! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have this knife to post today guys! It's an Amazon purchase, and I got it before the price increased drastically. It's a "Made in China" piece, although, it's not marked so. It's made by Mtangbao and measures 10 3/4" sheathed, and 10 1/4" unsheathed/D2 SS 5mm full-tang tanto blade, SS pins, and what appears to be a Mahogany frame, although the description didn't provide exactly what it is. Weighs a very hefty 12.3 oz.'s, and arrived scary-sharp. There is the word "Kibu" and a Chinese symbol etched on the front blade, but otherwise unmarked. One reviewer stated that he started a fire using the spine of the blade, but I can't see abusing such a nice piece in that manner. Fits right in with my collection of unusual fixies! 8)
WIN_20200710_12_30_35_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200710_12_31_11_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, you correctly refer to your knife as having (an American style) tanto blade. What were you referring to with the word Katana which is the large Japanese style sword with a typical blade of around 30 inches give or take a few?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I was including the word Katana from the sellers description Garry, but it's obviously incorrect if a Katana is a sword. That's why I included the question mark(?)because I wasn't sure that was the correct name. I'll edit it! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I get it. A lot of sellers will add words to their description to draw in as many clicks as possible.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

So true, I'm definitely learning that fact! This was 1 of the first knives I received, and I'm afraid I was extremely gullible to how they described them, but I'm learning everyday! Thx for the info! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I like the dirks in the picture above, the smallest one is a very nice size and shape.
Not so excited about the Tanto knife, it Is the only one you’ve posted that I didn’t really care for.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I know it's nothing special Mark, but out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Mark, it’s too utilitarian looking. There is just no “style”.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I see your point Mark, it is pretty "boxy" looking! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have this reproduction of a British and Allied Forces Commando dagger to show today guys! In appearance it looks very much like the Wilkinson Sword model, albeit 1" shorter at 10 1/2"/SS full-tang duel-edged dagger blade, SS hilt-guard, and SS handle with cross-cut texturing. Came with a black leather sheath. Weighs about 9 oz.'s. and is completely unmarked. Was purchased along with a tanto knife I received from the U.K., and feels very solid in-hand. Nice inexpensive replica. 8)
WIN_20200711_09_52_19_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good looking replica based I'm fairly sure on the Fairbairn-Sykes knife.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ya know, I thought the same thing Garry, but then I saw a Wilkinson Sword model in the "Kennedy Knives" store here at AAPK, and the model I have looks much closer to it than the Fairbairn-Sykes model. Only subtle differences, like the tapering of the handle, but still more like the Wilkinson. Take a look at it and see what you think. Item #29615(Sold out) 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:27 am I have my doubts that a knife that long would be used by SOE agents. It would be extremely hard to conceal. But its a nice story and probably helps sell knives. It is an interesting piece. Reminds me of shanks that I have seen pictures of from prison. Just wanted to point out that I don’t have any personal experience w/ shanks, or prison, yet.
I'm not so sure that this wasn't an SOE weapon Mark. I stumbled across a site, www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com , and it's a site chock-full of military knives, history, and information, and in their pics there were a few very similar 3-edged daggers and "nails", and according to the info, these were used by the SOE and OSS as stabbing weapons, with some of them as long as 9 3/4", and others that appeared even longer but no lengths were stated, which is not that much of a stretch from the 11" model I showed. Most of them also showed concealment sheaths that go with the knives. The entire site is dedicated to knives from the various past wars and have been collected by the owner, so perhaps their info is correct. Doesn't really matter though, I just thought I'd mention this. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have a string of dagger like fixies to show guys, and I'll start with these 2! These, to the best of my knowledge are called Tai Pan knives. There's a bit of a story behind these 2, so I hope I don't bore you telling it. In the 1st. pic is a Cold Steel "Grivory" Tai Pan, grivory being a substance that is non-metalic and tough as nails, and I believe invented by Cold Steel, although I'm not 100% sure it was their invention. If someone knows for sure I'd love to hear about it. Anyhoo, the dagger is 13" from tip-to-pommel, constructed in 1 piece, likely from a mold, with a duel-edged dagger blade, round hilt, cross-cut textured scales, and lanyard hole. I watched Cold Steel videos of their staff totally abusing this knife by stabbing layers of cardboard and punching bags, as well as putting the blade in a vise and bending the knife to a nearly 90 degree angle, and having it snap right back into place! Tough to say the least! I had seen cloned versions of the metal knife, which is the one in the 2nd. pic, and ordered it, twice, 3 times actually. The 1st. order got lost in shipping, and the 2nd order was, I believe, added to some Customs agent's collection, because when the package arrived with 2 other knives I had ordered, my Tai pan wasn't in it, and, the package had been opened by Customs. At first I thought that perhaps it had been seized by Customs due to it having duel-edges, but after checking if duel-edged knives were legal to import, and finding that they are, I realized it had been either not packed by the shipper, removed by Customs, or stolen by a postal employee. Upon confirming with the seller that they had indeed packed it, I became pretty sure of what had happened to it. During the midst of all these problems I spotted the grivory model, and being consigned to the fact that I might never receive the metal version, I ordered the grivory one. My first 2 orders were fully refunded by the sellers, which I thought was pretty great since they had done their part by packing and shipping it, so I tried a 3rd. time, and as the saying goes, "third time lucky", and finally received my knife! Now, the knife I bought is definitely a clone, because the originals sell for over $300., and mine ran me all of US$32. The knife I first saw had a mirror-polished blade, and that was a big part of the attraction, but those were always sold out so I settled for an all black one. The metal knife is 1/4" shorter than the grivory model, is likely SS/oxide coating, and has the same hilt, textured scales, and lanyard hole as the other. One weighs about 2 oz.'s and the other about 9 oz.'s, and I'll leave it up to you to determine which is which! lol! Both knives came with razor-sharp duel-edges, and the standard nylon sheath with the grivory, but a nice black leather sheath with the metal knife. The grivory model came completely unmarked, and the metal version with "Tai*Pan" etched on the front tang, and "COLD STEEL" etched on the rear tang, but, coming out of China you can be sure it's nothing more than an etch! 8)
WIN_20200712_12_24_38_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200712_12_25_40_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

You do like your daggers Marco. :) Congratulations. When the history of knives is written Cold Steel will have to have a chapter devoted to itself.
Always unusual and interesting designs, and usually well executed.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yes, I guess I do Garry, thanks! ::nod:: Somethin' about their sleek profile just seems to grab me, and I can't seem to get enough of em! Please keep watching as I have about 20 more to show ya! ::tu:: And CS sure do make some fairly nice stuff, and, mostly affordable! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Interesting knives. I remember years ago, probably close to 20 years ago, each order I got from SMKW included a video of Cold Steel knives being abused and misused, cutting stacks of cardboard and then cutting a side of beef. It was a pretty good sales idea. Cold Steel does have an interesting history.
Many of these daggers look like they would be so tempting to throw at a target. If I had that many, I would probably have broken tips and broken handles all over the place.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”