Ontario Spec Plus

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
cody6268

Ontario Spec Plus

Post by cody6268 »

I picked up these two Ontario Spec Plus versions of USGI knives for $26 shipped each tonight. They both ditch the stacked leather handles and metal pommels for molded Kraton plastic handles, and as well, add a big metal-reinforced lanyard tube. Blades are powder coated instead of blued/black oxide coated. Steel is 1075, which is really tough. If you've got a USA-made Colonial in carbon steel from the original company, that's what it has. It sharpens up easily, but to me, has slightly less edge retention than 1085 and 1095. I figure as working knives, I couldn't go wrong at the inexpensive prices--a Kabar Marine Combat these days is more money for just that. They are both USA made, but I think the sheaths are from Taiwan.

The SP-2 is the Spec Plus version of the Jet Pilot's Survival Knife. It is a pattern I've long been wanting to try, and at $15 or so cheaper, I decided to go with it.
51bvmbl4+pL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

The SP-1 Combat Knife is the Spec Plus version of the Marine Combat Knife. I already have, and use a Camillus version of one of these, so I can't wait to do a comparison. The good thing is that I can use the nylon sheath with the Camillus, and the leather sheath of the Camillus with this knife. However, because the guard is plastic, and not steel, I can't use the hard Kabar sheath I typically use with the Camillus, since it needs the guard to lock into the sheath as its main retention (it's got a pommel strap too).

51oe5pxZK4L._AC_SL1280_.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ontario Spec Plus

Post by 1967redrider »

Those look great, Cody. ::tu:: ::tu:: Can't wait to see some action shots.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Nice ones! Here is an SP10 I picked up awhile ago.Haven't had a chance to try it out but it looks like it could do the job.
Attachments
OSP3.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very nice! I really like those and you can’t beat that price either.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:54 am Nice ones! Here is an SP10 I picked up awhile ago.Haven't had a chance to try it out but it looks like it could do the job.
I have been looking at that model quite a bit as of late. It is really similar to the old Western Bowie, but at a price a lot cheaper than good examples of that typically sell for.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”