Stiletto marked skinner

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
steve99f

Stiletto marked skinner

Post by steve99f »

The knife is marked "Stiletto" on 1 ricasso and a mark that looks like a number 1 on the reverse side. See attached photo's. There are two Stiletto marks in "Collector Knives", 15th Edition; Stiletto, San Francisco by Miller, Sloss & Scott, 1896-1905 and a Stiletto Cutlery Co., New York, M.S & S, later B.H. & P., 1896-1926. B.H. & P. is Baker, Hamilton, & Pacific in SF, CA.

This pattern looks a lot like the 62 KABAR Faithful and has me wondering if KABAR made it..

Has anyone seen another of these or another pattern with the same marks and maybe know anything else about either of the cutlery's mentioned?

The knife is on ebay but I don't have a link.
Attachments
Stiletto marked witin arrow logo.jpg
stiletto.jpg
stiletto 1.jpg
steve99f
Gunsil

Re: Stiletto marked skinner

Post by Gunsil »

Way cool knife Steve!! Yep, Union/KA-BAR product for sure. I have several different Stiletto marked KA-BAR products. Yours is in pretty good shape, all I have seen show wear, they are very hard to find in mint condition. Pretty hard to find in general.

edit: Steve, didn't see your remark that it is on the bay. Talked to Barry this AM and he said he found it at 225. I looked for it but couldn't find it. Did it sell already? I thought the price was a little high, sheath shown not original.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Hi Gene,

Hope you are well and 2020 hasn't beaten you up too bad. Things are fine here all things considered. Miss going to gun and knife shows.

Below is the link for the Stiletto:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stilet ... 4216857906

Still available as of a couple of minutes ago. It was listed at 295 when I saw it a day or so ago. I got an offer somewhat less from the seller but was still a little high in my opinion. I thought it was OK condition wise but thought I saw a nick or something on the edge near the ricasso in one photo. Could have been the lighting or my eyes though.

Thanks for passing along your knowledge Gene and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Thanks Steve. Yep, definitely a chip out of the blade near ricasso. I think it is still a pretty nice example of a fairly rare marked knife, just about a hundred overpriced. I'd even make him an offer if it had the original sheath, but I think I'll lay off. By the way, I just got word there will be no Lewisburg show this year. Really sucks, but nothing can be done about the situation. Lewisburg was the last show I did since all the others I usually do were closed. Dang I'm chomping at the bit for a good knife show!!
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Still nice,character ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks for your input Gene, always happy to have your opinion on a knife. I wouldn't mind owning it but a little too rich for me. I did pick up a 62 he had for sale. See attached. Didn't have a KABAR 62. You sold me a Case marked version so I had niche to fill. See attached. Haven't got it yet, should be here Thursday. Been a while since I've bought a knife. What do you think?
Attachments
662-5 112920.jpg
662-5 a.jpg
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Very nice example Steve!! Super full blade with little use at all and well cared for. Some folks tell me they don't like the jigged wood handles but they are rarer than the bone ones and I have several models with them. I'd rather have a fine condition one with wood than a poor one with bone myself. The sheath looks like a 62 sheath but looks like it is for the larger blade version 62 unless it is just your camera angle. Now you just need the Catt version!! The Catt ones have the rear bolster like the Case model.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great pick up Steve, and that is a knice one. Congrats. ::nod::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:10 pm Very nice example Steve!! Super full blade with little use at all and well cared for. Some folks tell me they don't like the jigged wood handles but they are rarer than the bone ones and I have several models with them. I'd rather have a fine condition one with wood than a poor one with bone myself. The sheath looks like a 62 sheath but looks like it is for the larger blade version 62 unless it is just your camera angle. Now you just need the Catt version!! The Catt ones have the rear bolster like the Case model.
I like jigged wood handles as well Gene.Have an Olcut woodcraft pattern with them and it is a fantastic knife.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Frankly, I thought the handles were jigged bone although in re-reading the description again, it does say imitation bone. I guess I'll find out when in hand. Gene, the sheath does look larger than the knife and I'm going on that assumption.
steve99f
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

doglegg wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:18 pm Great pick up Steve, and that is a knice one. Congrats. ::nod::
I agree!!! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Steve, let us know if there is a model number on the guard please. Knife looks like it may have one. The model 62 "Faithful" is a handsome pattern for sure. The jigging gives it away as to being wood, their bone jigging was a little different. Color too, they use a very dark almost black wood, much darker than their bone. Very nice knife. Was hoping to be down your way this coming weekend but the Allentown show has been cancelled. Probably the first time in forty or more years I'll miss the Forks December show and my annual antiquing trip to Kutztown, Adamstown, Perkiomenville, and points between. No great smoked meats and bacon from the farmers markets. Damn pandemic!!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Gene,

I asked about the guard numbers, whether or not they were there. Seller said guard was marked 662-5. I'll confirm when I have it in hand, didn't come today as expected.

I thought the jigging and look was off for bone but didn't know these came with jigged wood. Thanks again Gene.
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Just got the KABAR in today. Looks as good as it did in the sellers pictures. The model numbers are marked on the guard, 662-5. The sheath is sized for a 6 inch blade so not original to the knife.
steve99f

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”