Vintage Solingen Germany Skinner

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Toejammer

Vintage Solingen Germany Skinner

Post by Toejammer »

Snagged this old dog off eBay for $12. When I first saw it, I was thinking I'd definitely be replacing the stag, the leather spacers, and making a larger guard. (I can't even call it a guard, more like an extra brass spacer, no help at all for protection) But when it got here today, I found it so neat that I might just leave it be. It has a decent blade for as old as it is, usually things like this are sharpened up past the choil. The swedge may have been done by the owner, not factory. It seems like it was added later and was given an edge, almost like a gut hook. I haven't seen a swedge like this before.

If I do leave it as-is, is there any way to recondition dried up stag like this ? There is one crack that runs lengthwise and was probably from someone cranking down on that tang "nut" to tighten things up. That's how the leather spacers got squished to oblivion.

So,... yay or nay on the rebuild ?

Pitted but still pretty full

Stag is pretty dry

Barely visible SOLINGEN on tang
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
knife7knut

Re: Vintage Solingen Germany Skinner

Post by knife7knut »

I would stabilize the cracks with either clear epoxy or thick cyanoacrylate glue(SuperGlue).I would then give the handle a light scrub with fine steel wool and then soak it in mineral oil. The swedge should be able to be re-profiled a little better than what it is and you'll have a fine little fixed blade to use.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I think you have some good advice from Ray.
I think you could sweeten up that "clip" make it more attractive.
There are lots of other sheath knives to be had.

Nice old respectable knife.
Joe
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Lot's of life left in that old gal. I would do exactly what Ray says, or give her a complete redo, either way, you have a fine old knife TJ.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I too agree with Mr. Ray. I’d probably use something like the pink Zap a Gap. It’s as thin as water and will wick down into the crack and fill it. If the crack isn’t too thick it’ll just disappear.

I typically put a few drops in a 20 oz bottle cap, dip a tooth pick in the glue, and then just trace the crack. Keep repeating until the crack is gone.

Once that’s dry then use mineral oil or ballistol (what I use. It’ll be a right handy fixed blade. Good steel in those old Solingen fixed blades.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Sound advice all, thanks !

If I keep the stag and fill the crack, I still don't know if I can live with the squished leather spacers and dinky little guard. So I could possibly just cut a new guard and work some new spacer material into the mix. The stress on that tang nut would be reduced, and thus less stress on the stag.

I need to put it away, out of sight till spring, and look at it with new eyes. 8)
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”