Puma Question

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
just bob

Puma Question

Post by just bob »

At the flea market today and saw a knife that looked like a Puma fixed blade with no markings. Same stag and rivets. Sheath was not Puma. It looked very close to the 6393 skinner pattern. I kind of kicked myself for not buying it, but isn't there a German made clone, knock off on the Puma? This had the date code on top of the guard. Does only an original Puma have that. Comments appreciated. It may be there next week - who knows?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Puma Question

Post by zed6309 »

The only 2 i can think of is Edge brand and linder , but not sure about thr code bit , they both did and do similar skinning knives .
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

As far as i know Puma was the only company to use the 5 digit date code. Anton Wingen made some knives that resemble certain Puma patterns but they do not have the date code numbers.
I hope you are able to buy it next week and then post pictures.
kj
Froe

Post by Froe »

I've seen Schlieper clones of the Puma White Hunter, but I don't remember seeing codes. Could have, just don't recall.
Froe
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Many Puma hunting knives were etched and not stamped. Once the etch has been worn away from use, the knife becomes an unmarked knife.
Puma didn't use a date stamp (serial number) before 1964. So it might be old?
The knife you saw might be a Puma ?? but in less than high quality condition, likely doesn't hold a premium collectors value. If it was not expensive it is worth buying as a user, but as far as resale value is likely not high. JMHO
Barry
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Hoping you can post a picture of it next weekend. ::nod::
If it had a date code it probably was a Puma with the etch worn off.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”