Some of my favorites.

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Maddogfl

Some of my favorites.

Post by Maddogfl »

I am a history fanatic; especially when it comes to WWII. I remember the first book I read on the Second World War, I was in the 4th grade and it was a historical fiction based on the attack on Pearl Harbor for kids. (We Were There at The Battle of Pearl Harbor.) Since that time, I have read hundreds, perhaps nearing a thousand books on the subject. I am of the age that the men in my community, when I was growing up, were WWII veterans and some of them were bonified WWII heroes, but I did not know it at the time. These men were a tight-lipped bunch when it came to their war experience.

My love of history has caused me to collect artifacts from the period. I really don't give a damn about shiny, unissued pristine condition blades, in fact I prefer a beat up blade with some personalization added to the knife or sheath to a perfect specimen. While my WWII knives would not raise any eyebrows to hardcore collectors, they mean a lot to me. Here are some of my favorites, including a couple of wartime era, non-issue knives.

As to the knives themselves, as tools or weapons, I just don't think that the patterns have been improved on in the years since they were made. I think that an RH 35 or 36 nears perfection in a general purpose fixed blade knife (although I personally like the "Quartermaster" knife better.") If a man buys a good condition RH 36 with a decent sheath for around $50.00 (which is about what they go for on eBay) he or she will own a great fixed blade knife that will last many lifetimes, and have a little history to go along with the fine blade.
Attachments
DSCN2457.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some of my favorites.

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 pm I am a history fanatic; especially when it comes to WWII. I remember the first book I read on the Second World War, I was in the 4th grade and it was a historical fiction based on the attack on Pearl Harbor for kids. (We Were There at The Battle of Pearl Harbor.) Since that time, I have read hundreds, perhaps nearing a thousand books on the subject. I am of the age that the men in my community, when I was growing up, were WWII veterans and some of them were bonified WWII heroes, but I did not know it at the time. These men were a tight-lipped bunch when it came to their war experience.

My love of history has caused me to collect artifacts from the period. I really don't give a damn about shiny, unissued pristine condition blades, in fact I prefer a beat up blade with some personalization added to the knife or sheath to a perfect specimen. While my WWII knives would not raise any eyebrows to hardcore collectors, they mean a lot to me. Here are some of my favorites, including a couple of wartime era, non-issue knives.

As to the knives themselves, as tools or weapons, I just don't think that the patterns have been improved on in the years since they were made. I think that an RH 35 or 36 nears perfection in a general purpose fixed blade knife (although I personally like the "Quartermaster" knife better.") If a man buys a good condition RH 36 with a decent sheath for around $50.00 (which is about what they go for on eBay) he or she will own a great fixed blade knife that will last many lifetimes, and have a little history to go along with the fine blade.
Great lookin' group M.D.! ::tu:: I really enjoyed reading the history behind them as well, thanks! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's an awesome baker's dozen of fixed blades. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I think you have a fine collection.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I just want to be prepared if the Nazis come back. ;)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Steve, would you mind identifying your knives as they are laid out in the picture? I would like to know the manufacturers of these military knives. I have a Camillus pilot's knife that I ended up with somehow, while I was in the Marine Corps, which is from a different era than your collection. Military knives are an interesting study.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

mdfl, you might find this forum useful in verifying military used knives in general, and how to spot counterfeits and reproductions-

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums ... d-weapons/

If you haven't found it already. :wink:
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

That’s a really nice collection ::tu::
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:48 pm Steve, would you mind identifying your knives as they are laid out in the picture? I would like to know the manufacturers of these military knives. I have a Camillus pilot's knife that I ended up with somehow, while I was in the Marine Corps, which is from a different era than your collection. Military knives are an interesting study.
Treefarmer
Sure, I should have done it in the OP.

The knife you had while you were in the Corps is probably what is commonly referred to a JPK or Jet Pilot's knife. That is another great blade.
Attachments
DSCN2460.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks, Steve. ::handshake::
I notice half of those were made by PAL! I have a thing for PAL folders but never got too deep in fixed blades of any brand or style.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

treefarmer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:23 pm Thanks, Steve. ::handshake::
I notice half of those were made by PAL! I have a thing for PAL folders but never got too deep in fixed blades of any brand or style.
Treefarmer
I think that PAL RH 35 and 36 models are the most prevalent WWII service knives available. A couple of years ago they were going for about half of what they sell for now. That is why I have several of each.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Nice collection! ::tu::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”