Case XX Kodiak

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
timdog44

Case XX Kodiak

Post by timdog44 »

I have been trying to find out information on dating the Case XX Kodiak series. There is some good information to be had but it is not ever complete. For instance what years were they made and are they still in production? What year did the image of the bear change? There are more questions but to be specific, I have 2 of these knives in different versions. The first one comes in a gray box. On the blade is etched "first run of a hundred" with a "07" above and behind the bear. The tang stamp is a stylized CASE with Kodiak under it. On the reverse there is no imprint on the tang. I will include photos for this one here. And I will respond to this message with photos of the second knife. Thanking in advance.
Attachments
IMG_6154.JPG
IMG_6155.JPG
IMG_6151.JPG
IMG_6152.JPG
IMG_6153.JPG
timdog44

Re: Case XX Kodiak

Post by timdog44 »

Reply to my first posting. Here is the second knife I currently have. Comes in a slip case and box. The blade side has the bear and at the tang is stamped CASE XX. USA. On the other side is stamped at the tang HAND MADE. IN THE USA. I include photos.
Attachments
IMG_6161.JPG
IMG_6160.JPG
IMG_6163.JPG
IMG_6164.JPG
IMG_6159.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

After mid-1960’s Case used the same stamps on fixed blades they used pocket knives. Your knives both fall in that category. The best source I know of for information on Case Kodiak hunters is Brad Wood’s article on Case fixed blade knives published in Sargent’s Premium Guide to Knives, 7th Edition (published in 2008). In it he says the Kodak Hunter was introduced in 1962. The earliest versions were supplied with alligator-embossed sheaths which includes yearly from 1962 through the earliest XX USA versions. The alligator-embossed sheaths were apparently discontinued at that time.

Wood says Kodiak hunters were produced annually until being discontinued in 2000 (says they were the only stag-handled hunting knife to survive the 1970 discontinuance of stag). In 2004 it was again offered in stag for several years but in very limited quantities (your first knife pictured apparently being one of those limited quantity releases), and was not listed in any catalogs. Keep in mind the article was published in 2008 so for what has happened between then and now you’ll need a newer source.

The article is fairly lengthy including about 3 pages on the Kodiak hunter, with detailed descriptions of boxes, sheaths, blades and etches offered including differences in the depiction of the bear etch which changed in 1989. I’ll not attempt to recount it all here, but that’s one source of the info you seek. There are no production numbers given.

Kodiak hunters appear frequently in ebay auctions so you can study those and get some details about boxes, etc. Ebay sold listings are a good source for values.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
timdog44

Post by timdog44 »

Ken - thanks for the reply, the info and further reading. I appreciate the time you invested in my query. Tim
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I realize this is an old thread but I had mine out this morning cleaning and wiping it down so I checked Sargent's 7th edition trying to determine if I could narrow the manufacture date to one more specific than I had already determined, which was 1973-79. That's a fairly easy observation since the white box tops changed in 1979 to include the trademark registration logo after the word Case. That's a capital R inside a circle. Another indicator is the type of backing under the handle of the knife. The exact timing on this is a little dubious as both types may have been used during the transition sometime around 1973. The original backing was formed cardboard and the new replacement was styrofoam. So since I have styrofoam backing and no registration logo after Case on the box top that is my assumption, 73-79 as it appears that the second knife in in the OP is. Then I ran up on another snag. :? The info in the book also says all post 1973 knives should have stars on the top of the guard front and back. Well I have a star on the top rear of the guard but no star on the front of the guard. So I was wondering if the knifes made in the transition from the USA era to the 70's had a single star perhaps placing my knife a tad earlier than 1973. There's no further info in Sargent's on that so if anybody has any knowledge on that I would greatly appreciate it. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”