Identification help - Collins & Co Hartford knife

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
TomTop

Identification help - Collins & Co Hartford knife

Post by TomTop »

Hi,
I got a knife from my late uncle and I have tried to find information about it but without any luck. Searched Google with photos and text and found nothing.

I hope someone can help me find out all about it, what it was made for, areas of use and the age?

Specs: 39 cm, 570 gram.

Tomas
Malmö/Sweden
6197522D-233D-410A-B6A8-5698E9A0CAF1.jpeg
A423337B-8BF0-44E5-B2CC-776FFC872BA9.jpeg
CACD0D0F-F304-47E3-92F5-BA2E337A01D4.jpeg
7D2229F6-EAE1-43F8-93E0-9BA89DA5EB64.jpeg
DE094F9F-519F-4F58-BCFD-E326C9ACDD6B.jpeg
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Identification help - Collins & Co Hartford knife

Post by 98src »

I have the book on Collins knives, but I don't remember seeing one like your knife. I'll see if I can find my book. Looks to be very fancy for a regular production knife.
TomTop

Post by TomTop »

Yes it looks fancy but I have not the knowledge. I would sure be glad for all help I can get.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK, Tom. ::handshake::
I can't tell you anything about your knife, other than it looks very official to me.
Keep checking this thread though, as there are plenty of very knowledgeable knife guys on this forum who will eventually see it and perhaps be able to supply you with some answer.
It's a cool knife you have there!
8)
8)
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

That is one fine bowie knife. Hold the knife up to the light and look thru the stanhope. That little glass part. Might get more info from the picture. That knife with ivory handle is worth some money . dont piss it away
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

The picture in the stanhope will give you the age. Looks to be a presentation knife given to some war hero or something like that. I hope you have the sheath. Collins made some real early bowies but that looks to be 1860s----1880s
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I have come across many Collins & Co. knives in my time having grown up a few miles from their former factory in Connecticut. I've never seen such an ornate Collins before and wonder if a Collins & Co. blade was used as a replacement. Here's a link to a museum in Canton Connecticut that has numerous pictures of Collins & Co. blades, none of which are as ornate as the one in question. https://cantonmuseum.org/exhibits/exhib ... ain-floor/ Good luck in your search for background information. ::tu::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

petekuhn wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:29 pm That is one fine bowie knife. Hold the knife up to the light and look thru the stanhope. That little glass part. Might get more info from the picture. That knife with ivory handle is worth some money . dont piss it away
Pete where are you seeing the stanhope? I'm only seeing handle screws.

Eric
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

Well now I see screws and am heading out to the eye doctor. omg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Don't feel too badly Pete, they fooled me too. ::facepalm::
I thought they were small rubies until I read the above question about where to look for the Stanhope, now all I see are screws. ::shrug::
8)
8)
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:33 pm Don't feel too badly Pete, they fooled me too. ::facepalm::
I thought they were small rubies until I read the above question about where to look for the Stanhope, now all I see are screws. ::shrug::
8)
I figured out what happened
The drool got in my eyes some how. Man thats a nice knife to me
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yes sir, I fully agree! ::handshake::
8)
8)
TomTop

Post by TomTop »

bestgear wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:57 pm I have come across many Collins & Co. knives in my time having grown up a few miles from their former factory in Connecticut. I've never seen such an ornate Collins before and wonder if a Collins & Co. blade was used as a replacement. Here's a link to a museum in Canton Connecticut that has numerous pictures of Collins & Co. blades, none of which are as ornate as the one in question. https://cantonmuseum.org/exhibits/exhib ... ain-floor/ Good luck in your search for background information. ::tu::
Thank you. It was my thought too when I could not find any like this one. Did C & Co sell just blade to other companies?

I live in Sweden and do not know any expert to show the knife and get the answer to this riddle.

Maybe not worth to send it over to US for some investigation.
TomTop

Post by TomTop »

petekuhn wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:53 pm The picture in the stanhope will give you the age. Looks to be a presentation knife given to some war hero or something like that. I hope you have the sheath. Collins made some real early bowies but that looks to be 1860s----1880s
So do you think its that old? Got a swedish army knife too. So maybe this is old too.

Unfortunately only the knife was found without a sheath.
B5C699E8-55B2-4721-9BD4-34D0085EF493.jpeg
(faskinkniv m/1848)
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

TomTop wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:08 am
petekuhn wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:53 pm The picture in the stanhope will give you the age. Looks to be a presentation knife given to some war hero or something like that. I hope you have the sheath. Collins made some real early bowies but that looks to be 1860s----1880s
So do you think its that old? Got a swedish army knife too. So maybe this is old too.

Unfortunately only the knife was found without a sheath.

B5C699E8-55B2-4721-9BD4-34D0085EF493.jpeg
(faskinkniv m/1848)
1848 Model Swedish Navy Cutlass
TomTop

Post by TomTop »

That is a very beautyful and expansive knife. Way far from my knife. If my knife was valued to 10% of that I would be a happy guy. 😀
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

TomTop wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:38 pm
That is a very beautyful and expansive knife. Way far from my knife. If my knife was valued to 10% of that I would be a happy guy. 😀
I would love to own your knife
TomTop

Post by TomTop »

petekuhn wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:58 pm
TomTop wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:38 pm

I would love to own your knife
Even without a sheath? Maybe I should sell it to a collector in the US. Should you take the help of an auction company or sell yourself. For me it is difficult to estimate age and value.

I don't want to demand too much payment for something I have no history of, nor do I want to be paid too little if it is valuable.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”