English Jacks show yours

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
stumpstalker

Re: English Jacks show yours

Post by stumpstalker »

Mason:

And your catalogue-confirmed relationship between the 9306 Challenge and the Florida Hardware Co. knife validates peanut740's claim of being able, with observation and experience, to "figure it out".
wlf

Post by wlf »

Great NYK Mike. Crazy how it seems Challenge and NYK used similar shields , must of been shield of choice for EJ's.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Thanks Lyle. I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Very similar.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Here is a Terrier English Jack, that I had posted a few years ago on the Terrier thread.
(At least it is a photo, taken by a visiting family member, and not another flat-bed scan.)

5-inch closed; single clip blade; worm groove brown bone handle covers; steel bolsters; brass liners; elongated bolster. Blade must have been shortened. It appears Robeson used the same handle die and bolster length for the Daddy Barlow; but, given the up-graded finishing (bone, shield, endcap) I would classify this an English Jack.
Attachments
terr.mark.eng.jk.2.jpg
terr.eng.jk.terr.tang..jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Lovely.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Wow! This thread is on fire... lot's of beautiful English jacks guy's.
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Recent pickup an Early Utica cutlery English jack with clip main blade. Not sure if this is accurate info on Utica tang stamps. I was hard pressed to find info. From what I have read… Utica was started in 1910. The curved Utica tang stamp was used from 1910 up to WWII. The UTK WARRANTED stamp is generally considered to be one of the earliest, if not THE earliest stamps Utica used. Some sources suggested the WARRANTED stamp was in the circa 1910-1915 range.
Attachments
4B6FD291-819B-410C-913A-90543F33BE18.jpeg
813AD192-0EA6-4DA5-BB15-DA998AE23F75.jpeg
17320AC5-3106-4021-9562-6F5E08D7A0BC.jpeg
48F9E289-A739-4CEE-B651-F689671D8AFE.jpeg
BCB26BF9-C64D-4988-A649-326D3592ADEC.jpeg
wlf

Post by wlf »

That's a beautiful knife Fishin'.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Thank you Lyle.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice Utica fishin ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

QUOTE: "...Nice Griffon knife, stumpstalker. I'd be happy to look into that model for you but would need a handle length and a sharper picture." -- Mason

Mason:
Here are two camera photos, not a scan this time, of the 4-1/2-inch knife, which might be sharp enough for you to hazard a guess as to whether the handle covers were intended by the factory to have smooth, and not sharp-cut jigging, or if the smoother look is from pocket wear.
Attachments
griffon.jack.mark.edit.jpg
griffon.jack.mark.edit.jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 738 times
griffon.jack.camera.pile.edit.jpg
griffon.jack.camera.pile.edit.jpg (81.66 KiB) Viewed 738 times
wlf

Post by wlf »

I'm not mention the Mason but that's pocket wear

Lyle
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

thanks, wlf.
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Good looking Jack ::tu:: stumpstalker
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

This is an old J.A. Henckels jack. The blade is stamped J.A.Henckels with the Twins logo. Not marked Germany or Solingen. It's 4 3/4" closed.
Attachments
Henck ft.JPG
Henck bk.JPG
Henck fce.JPG
Henck stmp.JPG
Henck opn.JPG
Henck clsd.JPG
Barry
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

That's a great looking knife, Barry. It is much thinner than I would have thought. I bet it would be comfy in the pocket.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

I like that J. A. Henckels.

Interesting that it has three large rivets, in addition to pins, on the mark side. It reminds me, but with higher finish, of a single-bladed, bareheaded, 4 1/4-inch jack, marked only "SOLINGEN" (no brand) that has appeared on dealer's tables State-side, as purportedly an imported German military surplus item.

Below I post a photo that member “paulsvintage” long ago added to the Old and Obscure Brands thread. It shows a Griffon English Jack, handled in the same-appearing bone as the Griffon English Jack I recently posted (shown here again).

Both are Griffons, with differing shields and bolsters. That brown/yellow mustard looking bone seems unusual to me. Has it appeared on knives of other marks?
Attachments
griffon.paulsvintage..JPG
griffon.jack.mark.edit.jpg
griffon.jack.mark.edit.jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 589 times
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

fishin1635 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:18 pm Recent pickup an Early Utica cutlery English jack with clip main blade. Not sure if this is accurate info on Utica tang stamps. I was hard pressed to find info. From what I have read… Utica was started in 1910. The curved Utica tang stamp was used from 1910 up to WWII. The UTK WARRANTED stamp is generally considered to be one of the earliest, if not THE earliest stamps Utica used. Some sources suggested the WARRANTED stamp was in the circa 1910-1915 range.
Nice! ::tu::
David
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

1fartsmella wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:12 am This is an old J.A. Henckels jack. The blade is stamped J.A.Henckels with the Twins logo. Not marked Germany or Solingen. It's 4 3/4" closed.
Very sweet woodgrain, and I like the three pins. Great spear too. Beauty of a knife.

stumpstalker wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:56 am I like that J. A. Henckels.

Interesting that it has three large rivets, in addition to pins, on the mark side. It reminds me, but with higher finish, of a single-bladed, bareheaded, 4 1/4-inch jack, marked only "SOLINGEN" (no brand) that has appeared on dealer's tables State-side, as purportedly an imported German military surplus item.

Below I post a photo that member “paulsvintage” long ago added to the Old and Obscure Brands thread. It shows a Griffon English Jack, handled in the same-appearing bone as the Griffon English Jack I recently posted (shown here again).

Both are Griffons, with differing shields and bolsters. That brown/yellow mustard looking bone seems unusual to me. Has it appeared on knives of other marks?

Great bunch of bones you have there, beautiful knives. This is a whole page of goodies.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

fishin1635 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:18 pm Recent pickup an Early Utica cutlery English jack with clip main blade. Not sure if this is accurate info on Utica tang stamps. I was hard pressed to find info. From what I have read… Utica was started in 1910. The curved Utica tang stamp was used from 1910 up to WWII. The UTK WARRANTED stamp is generally considered to be one of the earliest, if not THE earliest stamps Utica used. Some sources suggested the WARRANTED stamp was in the circa 1910-1915 range.
That's a sweetie, love the blonde bones and those bolsters. Beautiful.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Here is a scan of the 4 1/4-inch putative German military knife I was speaking of in my post above, which Barry’s J. A. Henckels pictured above reminds me of. The two share a few characteristics, but the knife I have I would not even call an English Jack, as it lacks the finish the pattern requires, and which Barry’s has.

I had referred to this knife as “bareheaded”, but having no bolster at either end, I believe classifies it as a large “shadow” jack.

Old Bill Shockley averred that these knives, for all their prosaic aspect, had excellent steel, implying that he knew of how they performed when used. This one has never been used, sharpened, or carried, and is the second one I have obtained in that condition.

That these were from released surplus military stock, for me, has credibility.

Comments (or, rather critiques) on my assumptions are welcome.
Attachments
solingen.2.single.bladed.edit..jpg
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

fishin 1635

That is a fine example of the quality and level of finish that Utica could and long ago did produce in its pocketknife line.

What is its length?
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I've been admiring these English Jacks and realized I had one in my Queen drawer!
Queen #29 Winterbottom handles and 1/2 stops.
Queen #29 Winterbottom handles and 1/2 stops.
The stamp indicates it was probably made in 1951-'55.
The stamp indicates it was probably made in 1951-'55.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:07 pm I've been admiring these English Jacks and realized I had one in my Queen drawer!001.JPG003.JPG
Treefarmer

Nice one Tree.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”