THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It has now become the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 3" closed, all metal, advertising, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. The tang stamp says "The W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK, NJ" The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. It also has "PAT'D 10-29-12" at the base of the loop or ring. This is my second, "W & H" fob or key ring style of pocket knife, in this particular pattern or style, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "Christmas Greeting - CENTRAL SUPPLY COMPANY - INDIANAPOLIS" The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. This is my twelfth advertising, fob or key ring style of pocket knife, that has this handle style or shape. However, it is only my eighth that has a "W & H" tang stamp. ALL of the other eleven advertising pocket knives, with this handle style or shape, have been previously posted throughout this topic or thread. Overall, it is in VERY GOOD condition. I gave it a very minor cleaning.
I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

***** A Special Thank You Goes Out To Tom (TPK) For Informing Me About The Availability Of This Pocket Knife. *****
Thank you, Tom. 🍻 ::handshake::

***** TRIVIA *****
As of this posting, this company is still alive and kicking.
Here is the link to their website. https://www.centralsupplycompany.com/
With a basic Google search, I could NOT find much information on the history
of this company. Here is the information that I DID find (info per "crunchbase").
"Details: Electrical Distribution, Industrial Manufacturing, Supply Chain Management, Wholesale
Headquarters Regions: Great Lakes, Midwestern US
Founded Date: 1902
Operating Status: Active
Legal Name: Central Supply Company Inc.
Company Type: For Profit
Phone Number: 1 317 898 2411
Central Supply Company is a plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and tool distributor that has been serving with five branches across the state, Central Supply has become one of the premier supply wholesalers. Central is known for its outstanding customer service and personal touch."

The Last Four Pictures (#6, #7, #8 & #9), Are Of The Cover, Two Pages
Out Of The 1915, CENTRAL SUPPLY COMPANY PLUMBING CATALOGUE E
And Their Modern(?) Company Logo.
It is NOT my catalogue. They are NOT my pictures.
Posted strictly for future reference.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Cover Of The 1915, Central Supply <br />Company, Plumbing Catalogue E.
The Cover Of The 1915, Central Supply
Company, Plumbing Catalogue E.
image.jpeg (38.47 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
A Page In The 1915, Central Supply <br />Company, Plumbing Catalogue E.
A Page In The 1915, Central Supply
Company, Plumbing Catalogue E.
image.jpeg (23.75 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Another Page In The 1915, Central Supply Company, <br />Plumbing Catalogue E.
Another Page In The 1915, Central Supply Company,
Plumbing Catalogue E.
image.jpeg (26.03 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
The Central Supply Company Modern(?) Logo.
The Central Supply Company Modern(?) Logo.
image.jpeg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Neat knife, and pretty amazing the company is still in business.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

C-WADE7 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:33 pm Neat.....
Thank you, Coley. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest example to be added to my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of advertising pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my first "W & H" pocket knife that advertises this particular event, organization, business, company, product, etc. The main handle side says "ANNUAL OUTING - 1929" It also has "PAT. PEND." by the blade pivot pin. The other handle side says "VETERAN'S ASS'N - B.& L.E.R.R.Co." I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
There is PLENTY of information to be found, on the Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad, with just a basic Google search.
The last two pictures are of a book, NOT mine, and of a dvd, also NOT mine, regarding the Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad.
Per Wikipedia (not the whole article):
"The Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad (reporting mark BLE) is a class II railroad that operates in northwestern Pennsylvania and northeastern Ohio. The railroad's main route runs from the Lake Erie port of Conneaut, Ohio, to the Pittsburgh suburb of Penn Hills, Pennsylvania, a distance of 139 miles (224 km). The original rail ancestor of the B&LE, the Shenango and Allegheny Railroad, began operation in October 1869. Rail operations were maintained continuously by various corporate descendants on the growing system that ultimately became the BLE in 1900. In 2004 BLE came under the ownership of the Canadian National Railway (CN) as part of CN's larger purchase of holding company Great Lakes Transportation. BLE is operated by CN as their Bessemer Subdivision. As a subsidiary of CN, BLE has been largely unchanged (though repainting of BLE locomotives into CN paint with "BLE" sub-lettering began in April 2015 and still does business as BLE. BLE locomotives, especially the former Southern Pacific SD40T-3 "Tunnel Motors", have been scattered across the CN system; many are being used in the line that feeds most of BLE's traffic, the former Duluth, Missabe, and Iron Range lines in Minnesota. The iron ore that originates on these lines is transloaded to ships at Two Harbors, Minnesota, then sent by ship to Conneaut, Ohio, where it is again transloaded to BLE trains. It is then taken down to steel mills in the Pittsburgh region, mainly to the blast furnaces at US Steel's Edgar Thomson Plant in Braddock, Pennsylvania, part of the Mon Valley Works. The Pittsburgh, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company was founded in 1897 by Andrew Carnegie to haul iron ore and other products from the port at Conneaut, Ohio, on the Great Lakes to Carnegie Steel Company plants in Pittsburgh and the surrounding region. On the return trip, Pennsylvania coal was hauled north to Conneaut Harbor. The company was created largely out of a series of small predecessor companies including the Pittsburgh, Shenango and Lake Erie Railroad, and the Butler and Pittsburgh Railroad Company. The company was renamed the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad in 1900. Carnegie Steel had an exclusive 99-year lease to the PS&LE. This lease was acquired by US Steel when that company acquired Carnegie Steel in 1901. At the end of 1925 B&LE operated 228 miles of road on 631 miles of track; at the end of 1970 mileages were 220 and 489. In 1988 the Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad became part of Transtar, Inc., a privately held transportation holding company with principal operations in railroad freight transportation, dock operations, Great Lakes shipping, and inland river barging that were formerly subsidiaries of USX, the holding company that owns U.S. Steel. In 2001 the Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad became part of Great Lakes Transportation, LLC. On May 10, 2004 Canadian National Railway acquired the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad. Iron ore and coal are still the route's major freight commodities."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Bessemer &amp; Lake Erie Railroad Book, NOT mine.
The Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad Book, NOT mine.
The Bessemer &amp; Lake Erie Railroad DVD, NOT mine.
The Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad DVD, NOT mine.

Skip
millern

Post by millern »

Here’s a recent find :
W & H CO advertiser knife for Bon Ami. (While I don’t really collect advertiser knives, I thought the graphics were cool!)
Since this topic garnered a number of responses, I thought I share my find with the group!
Attachments
EBB9FD1A-F3E8-4F65-83C3-962A4584A74B.jpeg
B18BD434-E845-4A50-8FAF-5C719FAAEEA5.jpeg
C0CEA28F-1A4C-49BA-8BBD-5B9485637DD2.png
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

millern wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:32 pm Here’s.....
millern, if you ever want to sell it, PLEASE PM ME!
I am definitely NOT a cheapskate.

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Now, there are a couple of awesome advertising knives! Always great to see a RR related knife, especially one from a lesser known company, at least so in my part of the world, it is all relative of course.
Then, I see the Bon Ami knife and their classic chick logo. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:53 pm Now.....
Thank you, Ike. 🍻
P.S., the BON AMI pocket knife is now mine. ::tu::

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:00 pm
Waukonda wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:53 pm Now.....
Thank you, Ike. 🍻
P.S., the BON AMI pocket knife is now mine. ::tu::
So, you own the Bon Ami chick! Great pickup!!!!!
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:18 pm So.....
Thank you, Ike. 🍻
I'll post it when I receive it.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It has now become the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a VOOS, one blade, one tang stamp, 3" closed, all metal, advertising, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. The tang stamp says "VOOS (over) MADE IN (over) U.S.A." This is my second, VOOS fob or key ring style of pocket knife, with this particular pattern or style of handle(s). But, it is my first VOOS fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "BERRY DENTAL LAB CO, - DEPENDABLE SERVICE - ST. LOUIS" It also says "patented" above the loop or ring. The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. This is my thirteenth advertising, fob or key ring style of pocket knife, that has this handle style or shape. However, it is my fifth, with this handle style or shape, that does NOT have a "W & H" tang stamp. ALL of the other twelve advertising pocket knives, with this handle style or shape, have been previously posted throughout this topic or thread. Remember, my main reason for starting this topic was to try and determine which cutlery company(s) manufactured, or had a hand in the manufacturing of, advertising pocket knives for the Whitehead & Hoag Company. I am 99.999% sure that VOOS manufactured, or at the very least, had a hand in the manufacturing of "W & H" pocket knives of the same handle style or shape. Overall, it is in VERY GOOD condition. I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** Here is the most recent, up to date list, of the cutlery companies that possibly made,
or possibly had a hand in the manufacturing of, pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag. *****

H. BOKER (U.S.A.) - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY COMPANY - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
L. F. & C. - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
MERIDEN - Slight Chance Of Involvement.
REMINGTON UMC - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
ROBESON - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
E. C. SIMMONS KEEN KUTTER - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
VALLEY FORGE - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
VOOS - 99.999% sure of Involvement.

***** TRIVIA *****
With just a basic Google search, I could not find any
information regarding the history of this company.
What I did find is posted below in the very last picture.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this advertising, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. It now becomes the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a W & H, one blade, one tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of advertising pocket knife. The tang stamp, very faint, is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. The main blade front tang stamp says "The W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK, N.J." This is my first W & H pocket knife that advertises this particular business, company, product, event, etc. The main handle side says "THOMSON-CROOKER SHOE CO - 18 STATION STREET - BOSTON, MASS." It also says "PATENTED" just above the loop or ring. The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. Overall, it is in VERY GOOD condition. I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

Here is, in alphabetical order, the updated list of states that are represented by most,
but not all, of the advertising on these "W & H" pocket knives (as of this posting).
Also, there are two, Canadian cities represented (as of this posting).
These are MY posted pocket knives that ONLY have the "W & H" tang stamp(s).

1. California
2. Connecticut
3. Illinois
4. Indiana
5. Kentucky
6. Maine
7. Massachusetts
8. Michigan
9. Minnesota
10. Missouri
11. Montana
12. New Hampshire
13. New Jersey
14. New York
15. Ohio
16. Pennsylvania
17. Washington
18. West Virginia
19. Montreal, Canada
20. Winnipeg, Canada

***** TRIVIA *****
With just a basic Google search, I could not find any
information regarding the history of this company.
What I did find is posted below in the last three pictures.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (12.75 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This past Saturday, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the latest example to be posted under this topic or thread and the latest example to be added to my collection. It is a W & H, one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of advertising pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the USA in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my first W & H pocket knife that advertises this particular product, company, business, event, organization, etc. The main handle side says "BON AMI" and has a graphic depicting a newly hatched chick. The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. I'm surprised that the Bon Ami catch phrase or slogan, "hasn't scratched yet!" wasn't embossed on the blank handle side. I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** A VERY, VERY, Special THANK YOU Goes Out To Neal (a.k.a. millern) For Selling This Pocket Knife To Me! *****
THANK YOU!! ::handshake::

***** TRIVIA *****
This Company Is Still In Business (www.bonami.com)
The Last Two Pictures Feature Just Two Of MANY, MANY BON AMI Items.
A 1909 BON AMI Advertisement (From The BON AMI Website),
And One Of The Many BON AMI Containers.
The Pictures Are NOT mine. The Items Are NOT Mine.
There Is PLENTY Of Information On This Product Or Company On The Internet.
Per Wikipedia.....
"Bon Ami (French for 'Good Friend') is a brand of scouring powder sold by the Bon Ami Company of Kansas City, Missouri. Since its inception in the late 19th century, the brand's advertising campaigns have gained particular notice. The original Bon Ami formula was developed in 1886 by the J. T. Robertson Soap Company as a gentler alternative to quartz-based scouring powders available in stores. In those days, scouring powder was made from tallow and finely ground quartz. When quartz was mined, it was entwined with a mineral called feldspar, and the two had to be separated by hand. The feldspar was discarded until Robertson discovered that this soft mineral could be combined with soap to create a less-abrasive product that would clean without scratching, resulting in the Bon Ami product. Bon Ami was originally manufactured in a factory in Glastonbury, Connecticut, which later moved to Manchester in the 1880s. As of 1896, Bon Ami was a common product in northeastern United States households. The chick and slogan "hasn't scratched yet!" are textbook examples of an early American trademark. Consumers in the late 1800s understood that a newborn chick doesn't scratch the ground for three days, thus the correlation with the non-scratching benefits of Bon Ami. In the early 1900s, Alfred William Erickson, founder of McCann Erickson Advertising, revived the brand with full-color pages in leading women's magazines. He accepted Bon Ami as a client circa 1908. Artist Ben Austrian painted the prints, and Ben's wife served as the model in the ads. The campaign blossomed into literature with the release of The Chick That Never Grew Up, a work of children's literature featuring Princess Bon Ami.
In 1963, Lestoil purchased an approximately 60% stake in Bon Ami. Bon Ami merged into Lestoil in 1964, after protracted negotiations. In 1971, Bon Ami was purchased by the Faultless Starch Company, which later changed the corporation name to Faultless Starch/Bon Ami Company to help reintroduce Bon Ami to the market. In 1980, the company again revived its brand with a magazine campaign featuring the headline "never underestimate the cleaning power of a 94-year-old chick with a French name." During the first 6 months of the campaign, Bon Ami sales rose 12%. Nevertheless, its business was still flagging by 1983, when it remained in third place behind products from Procter & Gamble and Colgate-Palmolive. In 2011 the Bon Ami company celebrated its 125th anniversary by re-releasing the original cleaning cake for purchase. Limited supplies were offered both with and without a commemorative tin, celebrating the original formula's popularity. The product's slogan "hasn't scratched yet!" refers to its ability to avoid scratching porcelain plumbing fixtures. The Bon Ami mascot, a chick emerging from an egg, is a play on that slogan. The product called "original" contains only feldspar. For other products, the Bon Ami website lists the following as main ingredients: feldspar, limestone, water, baking soda, citric acid, corn alcohol, epsom salts, essential oils, and xanthan gum. In Canada, the brand is owned and distributed by S.C. Johnson & Son as a glass cleaner.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
A Bon Ami Advertisement From 1909.
A Bon Ami Advertisement From 1909.
A Bon Ami Container, Circa ?
A Bon Ami Container, Circa ?

Skip
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Very nice Skip! It’s always interesting to see a company still running after so many years.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

C-WADE7 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:43 pm Very.....
Thank you, Coley.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

While searching on Google, I found this W & H advertising pocket knife by accident. Unfortunately for me, it was no longer available. I am posting this pocket knife to be used as a future reference. This pocket knife is NOT mine. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures have NOT been edited, altered, or enhanced by me, in any way, except for size. It is a W & H, two blades, two tang stamps, 3 3/16" closed (not including the bail), advertising, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. Both tang stamps are the curved or arched style of tang stamps, WITHOUT the USA in the middle. The main blade front tang stamp says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade front tang stamp also says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The main handle side says "DISTRICT-12" and also has a round, enameled logo, featuring U.M.W. OF A. (United Mine Workers Of America), a handshake, 1898 and 8 HOURS. The other handle side says nothing, it is blank.

***** If The Owner Wants To Sell This Pocket Knife, PLEASE PM ME. I Am Definitely NOT A Cheapskate. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this W & H, advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the most recent example to be posted under this topic or thread and the latest example to join my collection. It is a W & H, one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of advertising pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the USA in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my first W & H pocket knife that advertises this particular business, company, product, event, organization, etc. The main handle side says "WOODBURY TRUST CO. - WOODBURY, N.J." The other handle side says "FARMERS & MECHANICS - NATIONAL BANK" I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
The last two pictures, #6 and #7, are pertaining to the Farmers & Mechanics National Bank, Woodbury, New Jersey.
Picture #6 is of the front and back of a matchbook, NOT MINE, that has an illustration of the Farmers & Mechanics National Bank building in Woodbury, New Jersey. The matchbook is from a later era than the pocket knife. Picture #7 is of the actual, former, Farmers & Mechanics National Bank building. It is the exact same building that is illustrated on the cover of the matchbook. As of January 2016, it became headquarters for the Woodbury, New Jersey, Police Department.
With many, many, frustrating Google searches, I found the following bit of information regarding the
WOODBURY TRUST COMPANY, WOODBURY, NEW JERSEY and the FARMERS & MECHANICS NATIONAL BANK.
The State Legislature on April 5, 1855, in response to a petition by Gloucester Countians, granted a charter for the Gloucester County Bank of Woodbury. Within three days the capital stock of $100,000 was subscribed, and before the year was out, an imposing bank structure had been constructed at the corner of Broad and Bank (now Hunter) Streets. While building was going on, the bank conducted its business from the home of James W. Caldwell, cashier, who lived across the street. One of the new bank's first moves was to issue $50,000 in currency, a risky procedure in those days because of counterfeiters, but the bank cashier was kept on his toes because false bills taken in were charged against his salary. The present home of the bank at Broad and Cooper Streets was built in 1923. In May, 1865, the name was changed to the First National Bank of Woodbury with the "and Trust Company" added in 1925. On November 10, 1960, the Woodbury Trust Co. was consolidated with the First National Bank and Trust Co. and the name changed to the First County National Bank and Trust Co. In addition to the Main Office, the bank has three branches. The Farmers and Mechanics National Bank of Woodbury was established April 28, 1887, with the capital stock of $100,000 almost immediately over-subscribed by $30,000. The Charles Knisell property was purchased for the site of the new bank, and business was conducted in the old Surrogate's Office until the new building was completed and the new financial institution opened its doors on June 28, 1887. In December, 1959, the bank moved from its quarters at 17 North Broad Street to its present location at 220 South Broad Street. This institution also has three branch locations. In January 2016, the Woodbury Police Department moved to the 220 South Broad Street building.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Matchbook, Front And Back, With An Illustration Of The FARMERS &amp; MECHANICS<br />NATIONAL BANK Building. Located At 220 S. Broad Street, Woodbury, New Jersey.
Matchbook, Front And Back, With An Illustration Of The FARMERS & MECHANICS
NATIONAL BANK Building. Located At 220 S. Broad Street, Woodbury, New Jersey.
The Former FARMERS &amp; MECHANICS NATIONAL BANK Building. <br />As Of January 2016, Headquarters Of The Woodbury, New Jersey, Police Department.
The Former FARMERS & MECHANICS NATIONAL BANK Building.
As Of January 2016, Headquarters Of The Woodbury, New Jersey, Police Department.

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Skip, you have posted some great stuff ! That Bon Ami , Bank and even Shoes related posts and pics are great topics.
Thanks for some very interesting reads and viewing. ::tu:: ::tu::
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:07 pm Skip.....
Thank you for reading about them
and for l@@king at them, JP. 🍻
Hopefully, more to be found.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

A recent trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It now becomes my latest example to be posted under this topic or thread and to be added to my collection. It is a W & H, two blades, two tang stamps, one spring, advertising, pocket knife. It measures 3 1/8" closed. The two tang stamps are the arched or curved style WITHOUT the USA in the center. The main blade front tang stamp says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade front tang stamp says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." This is my second, W & H pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says "CHICAGO PNEUMATIC TOOL COMPANY" The other handle side also says "CHICAGO PNEUMATIC TOOL COMPANY" My other W & H pocket knife, with a broken secondary blade, advertises this same company and was previously posted under this topic or thread. The main blade has an ok opening and closing snap. The secondary blade also has an ok opening and closing snap. Neither blade has a half stop. Overall, this pocket knife is in GOOD condition. But, it did need a little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).

***** TRIVIA *****
This company is still alive and kicking (www.cp.com)
The last picture is of a 1924 ad. The item is NOT mine, the picture is NOT mine.
With just a basic Google search, PLENTY of information comes up.
But, per Wikipedia.....
"Chicago Pneumatic, also known as "CP", is an industrial manufacturer providing power tools, air compressors, generators, light towers and hydraulic equipment. Products are sold in more than 150 countries through a worldwide distribution network. CP is active on markets such as tools for industrial production, vehicle service, maintenance repair operation for mining, construction, infrastructure equipment. Chicago Pneumatic is a brand name in the pneumatic tool industry with a history tracing back to 1901. John W. Duntley had in mind the idea of sourcing and selling construction tools "that weren’t yet available". He established the Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company, with an office in Chicago. The first plant to begin manufacturing product specifically for CP was the Boyer Machine Shop in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1901, Duntley met steel magnate Charles M. Schwab, who invested heavily in the company. On December 28, the company was incorporated and the first single-valve pneumatic hammer was patented. In 1901, Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co. took over the Grant Company in Franklin, PA, which had produced lathes, boring mills, drilling machines and railway machinery. In 1902, CPT also took over the Franklin Air Compressor Company which had been producing air hoists. The Franklin plant went onto produce Little Giant trucks (1911-1917), portable compressors, electrical powerplants, and drill rigs. 1904 was the year of expansion for CP. Offices were opened in England, Canada, and Germany; and new lines of products had been developed such as air tools and rock drills.In 1912, CP began to produce an horizontal 2-cycle semi-Diesel oil engine to power CP compressors. One year later, CP finalized the Simplate valve; it deleted valve gear, offered controllability with high speeds and brought more capacity. In 1925, CP manufactured the Benz Diesel engine that was used in various racing cars in Europe at that time. The same year, CP began manufacturing rotary oil-well drilling equipment.In 1939, CP designed and manufactured the world’s first impact wrench, both pneumatic and electric versions. CP developed the “hot dimpling machine” in response to war effort demands, a device heating rivets to 1000 °F and using 100,000 pounds/inch² of pressure to squeeze the rivet head into its final shape. In 1943, The Saturday Evening Post published a cover picture by Norman Rockwell portraying a female aircraft worker, Rosie the Riveter, eating her lunch with a CP riveting hammer in her lap. The 1950s and 1960s were an era of performance research. CP drill bits broke depth records approaching 20,000 feet and were used in oil prospecting. The portable broach puller for aircraft rivets was introduced in 1957. A Chicago Pneumatic electric motor played a role in the U.S. Apollo space mission to the Moon. It powered a pump that inflated three bags on the capsule upon its splashdown in the Pacific Ocean on July 24, 1969. The bags ensured the escape hatch was on top and the astronauts could open it safely. CP introduced in 1969 the world’s first speed ratchet “CP728” at Ford Motor Company. In 1970, the CP611 impact wrench was used in the steel erection phase of the World Trade Centers (New York City). Sold for several years into industrial markets, CP torque impact wrenches were introduced in the 1970s into the automotive market. In 1987, Chicago Pneumatic became part of the Swedish conglomerate Atlas Copco. During 1988, more new products were launched than at any time since the late '70s, such as screwdrivers, assembly tools and new ratchet wrenches. The following year, the current logo was designed and adopted. In 1990, CP won a silver award from the AMA with its "23 parts" advertising campaign. The advertisement portrayed how over 250 light assembly tools could be made from only 23 interchangeable component parts. In 1994, the production of compactors and portable power generators began. 2007 marked the inauguration of a new technology center in Nantes, France. In 2010, a new global design highlighting the brand colors — red and black — was adopted.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Secondary Blade Front Tang Stamp.
1924 Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company Advertisement.
1924 Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company Advertisement.

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Another great article Skip. Interesting that in 1901 Charles Schwab had the foresight to invest in CP as a new business
Have used the CP impact wrenches and heavy duty floor jacks with air assist . They are a decent tool for the price point .
Skip , Thanks for another good read. . Hope you’re surviving out there with all the rough weather issues .
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:29 pm Another.....
Thank you, JP.🍻
I used many CP tools during my career with Ma Bell.
They were VERY durable and a pleasure to use.
As far as the weather is concerned, I'm doing just fine.
::handshake::

Skip
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Ripster wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:29 pm Another great article Skip. Interesting that in 1901 Charles Schwab had the foresight to invest in CP as a new business
Have used the CP impact wrenches and heavy duty floor jacks with air assist . They are a decent tool for the price point .
Skip , Thanks for another good read. . Hope you’re surviving out there with all the rough weather issues .
Nice knife Skip, and great back story.

Ripster I too have had several CP tools over the years. I’ve worked in a shop since ‘96 and owned just about every brand.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

C-WADE7 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:42 pm Nice.....
Thank you, Coley. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

A very recent trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the latest example to be posted under this topic or thread and to be added to my collection. It is a W & H, two blades, two tang stamps, one spring, 3 5/16" closed, advertising, pocket knife. Both tang stamps are the curved or arched style, WITHOUT the USA in the center. The main blade front tang stamp says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade front tang stamp also says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J."The main handle side says, "EX-LAX - GIVES THE DRUGGIST A LIVING PROFIT." The other handle side says, "EX-LAX - A FRIEND IN NEED." It also has images or graphics of two tins or containers. This is my fifth W & H pocket knife that advertises this particular product. My other four EX-LAX pocket knives have ALL been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main blade has no half stop and no opening and closing snap. The secondary blade has a good half stop and a good opening and closing snap. Overall, this pocket knife is in GOOD condition. This pocket knife did need a little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).

***** TRIVIA *****
See my post on Tuesday, August 9, 2022.
Or, do a Google search. There is PLENTY of information and images.
The very last picture is of a circa 1920’s, cardboard sign, advertising EX-LAX.
The item is NOT mine. The picture is NOT mine.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Cardboard Sign Advertising EX-LAX, Circa 1920's.
Cardboard Sign Advertising EX-LAX, Circa 1920's.

Skip

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”