Friction folder

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
OSCAR

Friction folder

Post by OSCAR »

Never had one or even seen one before. I pretty much quit buying knives due to the bad economy and insane prices knives are going for these days. Came across a friction folder at a very cheap price, the blade of which is Swedish high carbon steel. It should arrive in a few days and I am anxious to see it. It’s made in New Zealand.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Friction folder

Post by zed6309 »

The svord peasant is a good friction folder, I’ve had loads and modded them all ::tu:: here are a few I’ve done ::tu::
IMG_4107.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_4106.jpeg
IMG_4103.jpeg
20190308_113423-01_Original.jpeg
20190308_113617-01_Original.jpeg
20190311_135417-01_Original.jpeg
20190127_153830-01_Original.jpeg
20211007_225759_Original.jpeg
20190122_105312-01_Original.jpeg
FB_IMG_1560677312858_Original.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

zed6309 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:59 pm The svord peasant is a good friction folder, I’ve had loads and modded them all ::tu:: here are a few I’ve done ::tu::
IMG_4107.jpeg
Zed… The Svord is what I ordered. Black composition handle. Glad that it’s a good knife. Did you add the stag handle or did you buy it that way ? I didn’t see those offered on the website I ordered from. Thanks !
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

Here is my one and only Friction Folder. It is a custom with American Bison handles.
Attachments
20220529_112327.jpg
20220529_112438.jpg
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

OSCAR wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:45 pm
zed6309 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:59 pm The svord peasant is a good friction folder, I’ve had loads and modded them all ::tu:: here are a few I’ve done ::tu::
IMG_4107.jpeg
Zed… The Svord is what I ordered. Black composition handle. Glad that it’s a good knife. Did you add the stag handle or did you buy it that way ? I didn’t see those offered on the website I ordered from. Thanks !
You did some great work. All are beautiful knives
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

hardman wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:35 pm Here is my one and only Friction Folder. It is a custom with American Bison handles.
Absolutely beautiful knife !!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm not much for the friction folder style, but you work is impeccable, Paul!
Very nice indeed!
8)
8)
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Madmarco wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:05 am I'm not much for the friction folder style, but you work is impeccable, Paul!
Very nice indeed!
8)
Thanks Marco ::tu::

Oscar I did all these handles , svord did a limited number of stag ones years back but said they was a pain to make so would never do anymore , they do wood ones ::tu::
Paul,

OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

zed6309 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:35 am
Madmarco wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:05 am I'm not much for the friction folder style, but you work is impeccable, Paul!
Very nice indeed!
8)

Oscar I did all these handles , svord did a limited number of stag ones years back but said they was a pain to make so would never do anymore , they do wood ones ::tu::
Paul, the wood are good, much better than the plastic. However the stag handles are awesome ! I wish they still sold them.
You do beautiful work. I don’t have the skills to rehandle a knife.
I intend to work the plastic handle knife as it is intended for hard work. The stags are too nice. If I had one, it would be a work free collectible.
Great looking knives Paul !!!
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

OSCAR wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:37 pm
zed6309 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:35 am
Very nice indeed!
8)

Paul, the wood are good, much better than the plastic. However the stag handles are awesome ! I wish they still sold them.
You do beautiful work. I don’t have the skills to rehandle a knife.
I intend to work the plastic handle knife as it is intended for hard work. The stags are too nice. If I had one, it would be a work free collectible.
Great looking knives Paul !!!

Thanks mate , I’ve done around 13-15 stag handled svords , not done one in ages tbh’s as a lot on , but if I make another handle I’ll let you know ::tu::
Paul,

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Fantastic knives, Paul and Gary! ::tu:: I have a few friction folders. Here's an archival photo of three of them.
Olivewood And Beech.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:47 am Fantastic knives, Paul and Gary! ::tu:: I have a few friction folders. Here's an archival photo of three of them.

Olivewood And Beech.jpg
Dan, I also like the Opinel knives. The Svord is like Opinel on steroids. The blade is about three times thicker. There are some other differences as well. Check your messages as I’ve sent you a reply to your question. -Oscar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm confused, fellas! I've always understood a "friction folder" as being like most of the knives Paul posted with that tang extension for opening/closing the blade, yet Dan posted his 3 Opinels that don't appear to have that extension and he still calls them ""friction folders", would someone kindly explain what I'm missing? Thx!
8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:11 pm I'm confused, fellas! I've always understood a "friction folder" as being like most of the knives Paul posted with that tang extension for opening/closing the blade, yet Dan posted his 3 Opinels that don't appear to have that extension and he still calls them ""friction folders", would someone kindly explain what I'm missing? Thx!
8)
Marco, I’m not an expert on friction folders. I always thought that they were knives with no back springs. The long tang let’s you open it easy and helps hold the blade in place as your hand is holding it over the long tang. I don’t think that the tang defines it as a friction folder.
The Opinel in my opinion is a friction folder as it has no spring. Also ,the handles also fit tight to the blade (as does the Svord) hence the name “friction folder”. There isn’t any play in the open position of the blade.
The Opinel uses a twist ring to lock the blade in the open position. I’m not sure if this disqualifies it as a friction folder. My vote would be yes it also is a friction folder, but I could be wrong. Hope someone who knows about them posts their thought on whether Opinel is a friction folder or not.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Mark, in agreement with Oscar, it depends on which definition you read. ::nod:: Some say a knife with an extended tang to quickly open the blade that stays in position by friction, others simply say, a Folder that uses friction to hold hold blade in open or closed position.
The last definition will include the Opinel knives even though they have a twist lock. Personally I prefer the Opinel as the Svord reminds me of my dislike of the Case Russlock. I have several Opinels and one Svord. The Svord gets a plus because of the adjusting screws, the Opinel gets a demerit because when they get too wet there is no adjusting the increased friction. A zip lock bag of rice and a day of waiting will usually make them operable.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks a bunch, Oscar.
From what I'm reading online it's saying that a F/F is any knife without a spring, and the blades are held open safely via friction between the tang and the handle, very much how you described it.
To my way of thinking, any knife that doesn't lock open would be in danger of closing on one's fingers, and in my opinion Opinel's wouldn't fall into that category due to the twist-ring, but as I say that's just my opinion. Although, I hadn't read anything about one's hand covering the extended tang to prevent unwanted closing and that certainly makes sense.
I have yet to handle a tang-extended F/F or even an Opinel twist-ring, so that's something I should do in order to see for myself and perhaps then it will all fall into place for me.
Thx again, buddy!
8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:08 pm Mark, in agreement with Oscar, it depends on which definition you read. ::nod:: Some say a knife with an extended tang to quickly open the blade that stays in position by friction, others simply say, a Folder that uses friction to hold hold blade in open or closed position.
The last definition will include the Opinel knives even though they have a twist lock. Personally I prefer the Opinel as the Svord reminds me of my dislike of the Case Russlock. I have several Opinels and one Svord. The Svord gets a plus because of the adjusting screws, the Opinel gets a demerit because when they get too wet there is no adjusting the increased friction. A zip lock bag of rice and a day of waiting will usually make them operable.
Treefarmer
I’m with you on the Russlock Treefarmer. It’s an awful design and I’m surprised that Case still makes and sells them. I’ve got one Russlock years ago. It’s probably my least favorite of all.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for your additional explanation, TF, it's most informative.
I almost included the Russlock, which BTW I very much dislike also, but it seemed to be a different monster altogether so I left it out.
I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around Opinels being F/F, what with their twist-ring locks, but I'll take your word for it as you seem to have much experience with that kind of knife.
Thanks for the tip on drying out a wet knife, I wonder if that really works for a wet cell phone too? ::shrug::
8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:25 pm Thanks for your additional explanation, TF, it's most informative.
I almost included the Russlock, which BTW I very much dislike also, but it seemed to be a different monster altogether so I left it out.
I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around Opinels being F/F, what with their twist-ring locks, but I'll take your word for it as you seem to have much experience with that kind of knife.
Thanks for the tip on drying out a wet knife, I wonder if that really works for a wet cell phone too? ::shrug::
8)
The Russlock is to knives what the Edsel was to cars. It’s not a friction folder but it’s an ugly and awkward design.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thanks, Oscar! ::handshake::

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that a friction folder is a knife whose blade is held open solely by the friction if a tightly fitted handle. A friction folder may or may not have a simple lock, but it will not have a back spring. The newer and more complex types of locking knives are also not friction folders. Incidentally, I believe the locking ring on larger Opinels can be removed without much difficulty.

And the Russlock certainly creates some polarizing opinions! I don't think I've ever known anyone to think they're "okay;" one seemingly will either love or hate them with an intense fervor.

And I've heard that a bag of rice can help with a phone that got dunked in water, but whether it works or that's just hogwash... ::shrug::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Many of us in the uk like a friction folder as no lock but you can hold the lever firmly to act like a lock , check out Michael Morris knives , he makes some lovely FF’s ::tu::
Paul,

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for all the information, fellas, I think I now know the definition of a friction folder knife, new info about Opinel knives, and confirmation on how butt-ugly Russlock knives are! ::ds::
You guys are the best! ::tu::
8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

zed6309 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:17 pm Check out Michael Morris knives , he makes some lovely FF’s ::tu::
One of his is in my eBay watch list...and sadly way out of my budget. It sure does look good, though!
USN 2000-2006
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:45 am
zed6309 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:17 pm Check out Michael Morris knives , he makes some lovely FF’s ::tu::
One of his is in my eBay watch list...and sadly way out of my budget. It sure does look good, though!
Yeah there not cheap , I’ll have a chat with him when he comes mes over for The Sharp Show in the uk in October ::tu::
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Made this one today ::tu::
IMG_5526.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_5527.jpeg