Terrier Cutlery Company

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Duffer

Re: Terrier Cutlery Company

Post by Duffer »

I was the lucky one to score the Terrier Utility/Camp knife that Charlie posted an alert about above. Nothing can beat the one Charlie owns but this is a very nice vintage Terrier. It has patina, some spotting, blade loss on main spear and has been sharpened but overall in very nice non messed with condition and was well taken care of. I don't think the other three blades have been sharpened at all. I am very pleased with this 100 plus year old vintage folder! Thanks Charlie for posting the "heads up" much appreciated!!
Attachments
IMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1492.jpg
Lloyd
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Congratulations, Lloyd. ::tu::
That's a nice clean Camper and a great stamp.
Joe
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Lloyd I'm glad to see you got that one. I put in a bid but had to step over to the sidelines after I was outbid. I know it's in a good home. :wink:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great pickup, Lloyd, lovely knife! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks Joe, Phil and Dan for your kind comments on this recently acquired Terrier--much appreciated!
Lloyd
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Congratulations Lloyd. I thought that was a nice knife. Glad you are pleased with it.
Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Bumping this thread due to "Coming Attractions".

Waiting for sunshine......

Stand by. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Charlie, anxiously standing by for the big reveal!! Come out bright orb that rules the day--usually ::paranoid::
Lloyd
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A couple of weeks ago, this huge five inch Terrier Cutlery Co. EZ Opener appeared on Ebay with a very hefty Buy-It-Now price; not as an auction.

I really wanted this knife, but I could not afford it.

Just to make sure I had seen the knife, Lloyd Duff sent the auction to me and we discussed it back and forth.

There was no question in my mind the knife was genuine.

Robeson made a similar five inch EZ Opener with a massive spear and large pen blades and they made it as a Robeson and as a Terrier.

But, I still could not afford it.

Lloyd suggested I try to trade for it.

Duh! ::dang:: Why didn't I think of that?

I have known the seller since 1997, when I met him at a knife show in Waterbury, CT and bought several nice Robeson knives from him. And I have bought knives from him on Ebay from time to time since then.

I sent him an e-mail stating that if the knife did not sell, I'd like to attempt a trade. He agreed.

The knife did not sell.

He told me what he was most interested in and I sent him about a dozen photos of nice Robeson knives. He picked out a few and we traded.

So now, I own this really impressive Robeson manufactured Terrier Cutlery Company EZ Opener horticulture knife.

I have never seen a knife like this before. It has the same pattern number as the knives with the large spear and pen, 622092, although on a Terrier they reversed the number groups, so it's 92622.

But this knife has a massive hawkbill blade and a sheepsfoot secondary.

Both blades are stamped TERRIER / CUTLERY /ROCHESTER, N.Y. There is a dog's head logo on the back of the master and the pattern number 92 / 622 is on the back of the secondary.

The blades don't show a lot of use and appear about full. They do have marked patina and no original luster left.

The handles are worm-grooved jigged bone that show some pocket wear and some fading.

The bail is probably not original to the knife and appears to be made from a brass rod, possibly a welding rod.

Every one of these big EZ Openers I've seen, however, were drilled for a bail or lanyard.

In the first couple of photos, I've included a standard 3 5/16" long Robeson EO Jack for comparison.

The photos should expand with a couple of left mouse clicks.

I'm quite happy to have gotten this one and I want to thank Lloyd for suggesting I try to trade for the knife. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
Terrier EZ Opener 1.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 2.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 3.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 4.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 5.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 6.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Wow Charlie, that thing is a Hoss. Lots of class and character on display with that knife. I'm happy for you that you were able to add it to your collection. Congratulations. ::handshake::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Phil, a Terrier in this pattern has been my Holy Grail for a long time, but I've been looking for one with spear and pen, wasn't expecting this variation to even exist.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Well done Charlie! ::tu::
Roger
BWT

Post by BWT »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:A couple of weeks ago, this huge five inch Terrier Cutlery Co. EZ Opener appeared on Ebay with a very hefty Buy-It-Now price; not as an auction.

I really wanted this knife, but I could not afford it.

Just to make sure I had seen the knife, Lloyd Duff sent the auction to me and we discussed it back and forth.

There was no question in my mind the knife was genuine.

Robeson made a similar five inch EZ Opener with a massive spear and large pen blades and they made it as a Robeson and as a Terrier.

But, I still could not afford it.

Lloyd suggested I try to trade for it.

Duh! ::dang:: Why didn't I think of that?

I have known the seller since 1997, when I met him at a knife show in Waterbury, CT and bought several nice Robeson knives from him. And I have bought knives from him on Ebay from time to time since then.

I sent him an e-mail stating that if the knife did not sell, I'd like to attempt a trade. He agreed.

The knife did not sell.

He told me what he was most interested in and I sent him about a dozen photos of nice Robeson knives. He picked out a few and we traded.

So now, I own this really impressive Robeson manufactured Terrier Cutlery Company EZ Opener horticulture knife.

I have never seen a knife like this before. It has the same pattern number as the knives with the large spear and pen, 622092, although on a Terrier they reversed the number groups, so it's 92622.

But this knife has a massive hawkbill blade and a sheepsfoot secondary.

Both blades are stamped TERRIER / CUTLERY /ROCHESTER, N.Y. There is a dog's head logo on the back of the master and the pattern number 92 / 622 is on the back of the secondary.

The blades don't show a lot of use and appear about full. They do have marked patina and no original luster left.

The handles are worm-grooved jigged bone that show some pocket wear and some fading.

The bail is probably not original to the knife and appears to be made from a brass rod, possibly a welding rod.

Every one of these big EZ Openers I've seen, however, were drilled for a bail or lanyard.

In the first couple of photos, I've included a standard 3 5/16" long Robeson EO Jack for comparison.

The photos should expand with a couple of left mouse clicks.

I'm quite happy to have gotten this one and I want to thank Lloyd for suggesting I try to trade for the knife. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
Now that is a good looking knife, love the old classic ones, you did really good on that one. Thanks for sharing it with us. Bill
Bill
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Charlie I am thrilled you were able to add that example to your Terrier collection!! It is one impressive and extremely rare Terrier variation! Most of these were probably heavily used/abused unlike the smaller Jacks and pen knives and most probably did not survive to our day. Maybe the only one still out there but now nicely nestled in your collection. It has everything going for it and really broadens the scope or breadth of your Terrier collection! Again I am very pleased you got it my friend ::nod::
Lloyd
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Charlie: so happy for you! It could not have happened to a nicer person! Great knife. Very impressive! Keep after them! Kevin.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Phil, a Terrier in this pattern has been my Holy Grail for a long time, but I've been looking for one with spear and pen, wasn't expecting this variation to even exist.

Charlie
Charlie I'm reminded of the words the great Forrest Gump so eloquently said, ""Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.".
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

I am so glad you got that knife Charlie!!
sextonknifeworks

Post by sextonknifeworks »

Not a bad old knife. Love the reverse gunstock stockman pattern. I can almost see this knife cutting a plug of tobacco.

Another question, Did Terrier make several dog grooming knives??
Attachments
DSC_0052.JPG
DSC_0053.JPG
DSC_0051.JPG
DSC_0050.JPG
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Charlie, that knife is YUUUGE!

Congratulations ::tu::
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I have learned that the big Terrier EZ Open Jack came from the collection of the late Joe Seale. It was purchased by Tony Foster and sold to the man from whom I acquired it.

An AAPK member suggested that was the case, so I made inquiries.

Some of you might not know Joe Seale. He was an very nice older man from Texas that had been a knife dealer from the earliest days of the hobby and he managed to acquire some of the most fantastic knives you will ever see.

He also wrote great stories/articles for Knife World Magazine.

I'm sure his many old uncles, who he wrote about often, welcomed him into Paradise.

For me, knowing this knife came from Mr. Seale's collection, enhances its value and significance.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Congratulations on getting that knife, Charlie.
Joe
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got this nice Terrier Cutlery Company razor off Ebay last week and it arrived today.

Came in a generic unmarked black razor case.

Of course, it dates 1910 to 1916.

Really nice Terrier razors are hard to come by.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
Terrier Razor 1.jpg
Terrier Razor 2.jpg
Terrier Razor 3.jpg
Terrier Razor 4.jpg
Terrier Razor 5.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Dang Charlie that is a great looking straight razor and the etch is so deep and readable. Great find! Your on a roll!!
wlf

Post by wlf »

Great find and catch on the big pruning jack Charlie.

I called Joe Seale a couple years ago, and he didn’t have any farmers jacks or rooster combs. He actually seemed in the dark about the pattern. He certainly was one of the top dealers.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I seem to be on a roll. ::tu::

A week or so ago, I received an email from a man I did not know, from West Virginia.

He frequents garage and estate sales and buys knives when he finds nice ones.

He had picked up a Terrier jack and had never had one before, so he Googled "Terrier knife" and found an article I had written. I don't know which article. And I don't really understand how he got my email address. Possibly, he found a screen shot of my now defunct Robeson website.

Anyway, he sent photos. I liked the knife and asked if he would like to trade. He responded, asking if I had a Robeson 622195 Physician's Knife.

I did. So we've traded knives.

Interestingly, he sent the knife boxed and secured inside a small length of PVC pipe. Good idea.

This nice, old, gently used, not abused, Terrier jack is 3 1/4" long with nice worm grooved brown bone.

No pattern number, but does have the dog's head logo. Notice how much nicer the logo is than on the razor posted above. A world of difference.

Tang stamps on both blades read TERRIER / CUTLERY / ROCHESTER, N.Y.

Knife is one-hundred-one to one-hundred-sixteen years old.

Charlie
Attachments
Terrier Jack 1.jpg
Terrier Jack 2.jpg
Terrier Jack 3.jpg
Terrier Jack 4.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”