wirejacks

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: wirejacks

Post by joeradza »

Another variation for my wire jack collection. A small (3 1/4") hawkbill with the 1926 tang stamp and yellow safety insert. It bears an etch of a florist as many do. Other than some pepper spots it's in excellent condition.
Attachments
IMG_1032.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A very cool pick up joeradza. ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

joeradza wrote:Another variation for my wire jack collection. A small (3 1/4") hawkbill with the 1926 tang stamp and yellow safety insert. It bears an etch of a florist as many do. Other than some pepper spots it's in excellent condition.
VERY NICE looking wire-jack hawkbill! I like that tang stamp. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Thanks guys. These things are addictive. On another site I heard that the florist was founded in 1889, therefore the knife was from 1939 if it was truly a 50th anniversary knife.
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

Glad you liked it. You got it from me on ebay. I remember the sales building in downtown Knoxville and the very large green houses which were field trip destinations for our biology class. I still have the Boker in similar condition for sale.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

98src wrote:Glad you liked it. You got it from me on ebay. I remember the sales building in downtown Knoxville and the very large green houses which were field trip destinations for our biology class. I still have the Boker in similar condition for sale.
Cool memory to add to the knife. ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This wire-jack, hawkbill pruner, from BOKER U.S.A., arrived Thursday. It looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I've never seen a black colored blade guard/spacer, but here it is. Could it have been re-painted? Yes, it could've, but it doesn't appear to have been. So now I have wire-jacks with red, green, yellow and a black blade guard/spacer.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:This wire-jack, hawkbill pruner, from BOKER U.S.A., arrived Thursday. It looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I've never seen a black colored blade guard/spacer, but here it is. Could it have been re-painted? Yes, it could've, but it doesn't appear to have been. So now I have wire-jacks with red, green, yellow and a black blade guard/spacer.
Very clean with an extremely crisp tang stamp. Good catch.
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

It appears that the BOKER/USA is stamped on yours, but, the BOKER/USA is etched on mine.
Boker wire jack-2.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

98src wrote:It appears that the BOKER/USA is stamped on yours, but, the BOKER/USA is etched on mine.
On my other 2 BOKER, wire-jack, hawkbills, BOKER USA is etched and BARELY visible. Both are about dead center in each picture.
Click on the picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

I just received three more wire jacks, two of which I needed to close the gap for my collection.
One is another small hawkbill with a company name embossed. I can't tell if it had a yellow safety insert or if it faded or was another color. The second is a large hawkbill that I'd been looking for. It too came with a blade etch which I think is an outlier and last but certainly not least is a small hawkbill with the copper blade made for the explosives industry. A rarity for sure.
That leaves a small spear point without a bottle opener (which I recently lost out on ebay) and the rarest of the rare, the AXE. The search continues.
The bottom two photos is the current state of the collection minus the mess kits and a few users.
Attachments
IMG_1103.JPG
IMG_1088(1).JPG
IMG_1104.JPG
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Joeradza, I really like that copper blade. That is probably the only other one that I would want.
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

BFORSE wrote:Joeradza, I really like that copper blade. That is probably the only other one that I would want.
The first one I had was a small spear but the larger ones are quite useful.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

joeradza wrote:I just received three more wire jacks, two of which I needed to close the gap for my collection.
One is another small hawkbill with a company name embossed. I can't tell if it had a yellow safety insert or if it faded or was another color. The second is a large hawkbill that I'd been looking for. It too came with a blade etch which I think is an outlier and last but certainly not least is a small hawkbill with the copper blade made for the explosives industry. A rarity for sure.
That leaves a small spear point without a bottle opener (which I recently lost out on ebay) and the rarest of the rare, the AXE. The search continues.
The bottom two photos is the current state of the collection minus the mess kits and a few users.

Awesome collection!!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Eh, it's ok. ONLY KIDDING! Fantastic collection and display of the wire-jacks! ::tu::

Skip
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:Eh, it's ok. ONLY KIDDING! Fantastic collection and display of the wire-jacks! ::tu::
Yeah I agree if it was a collection of Randall's or by Tony Bose but anyone can buy those. Hahaha!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That one with the copper blade is awesome. What a job specific tool. Excellent find. And an awesome collection. Congrats. ::nod:: ::tu::
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Thanks for all the comments and info about the wire jacks guys. If not for you I more than likely would be lost in space. One more question about the fuse cutter copper blade. In as much as it's unused and nearly 90 years old I don't want to do anything to it. However, would anyone suggest bringing the copper back or just leave it alone?
Attachments
IMG_1116.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

joeradza wrote:Thanks for all the comments and info about the wire jacks guys. If not for you I more than likely would be lost in space. One more question about the fuse cutter copper blade. In as much as it's unused and nearly 90 years old I don't want to do anything to it. However, would anyone suggest bringing the copper back or just leave it alone?
I think it looks great just the way it is. If it were mine, I'd leave it alone. ::tu::

Skip
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
joeradza wrote:Thanks for all the comments and info about the wire jacks guys. If not for you I more than likely would be lost in space. One more question about the fuse cutter copper blade. In as much as it's unused and nearly 90 years old I don't want to do anything to it. However, would anyone suggest bringing the copper back or just leave it alone?
I think it looks great just the way it is. If it were mine, I'd leave it alone. ::tu::
Ditto
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Thanks. As a past antiques dealer I agree. Better chance of ruining or removing historical patina than any possible improvement.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I "should" have this Geo Schrade, single blade, wire handle folder, in my possession within the next week. I'll give it the once over and post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These pictures are the seller's.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 2829 times

Skip
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

I recently found another copper (beryllium) blade wire jack. If anyone has, seen, or knows where the axe model is please let me know. Photo of the recent find and an updated family photo less the Chow Kits.
Attachments
1564BF31-B74F-4F66-B62C-05A28D1F2BE5.jpeg
B30DD3BB-7D9B-4CFC-A969-58EF17DCAE0B.jpeg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

joeradza wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:22 pm I recently found another copper (beryllium) blade wire jack. If anyone has, seen, or knows where the axe model is please let me know. Photo of the recent find and an updated family photo less the Chow Kits.
Nice family portrait! ::tu:: I've never seen the axe model.

Skip
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:29 pm
joeradza wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:22 pm I recently found another copper (beryllium) blade wire jack. If anyone has, seen, or knows where the axe model is please let me know. Photo of the recent find and an updated family photo less the Chow Kits.
Nice family portrait! ::tu:: I've never seen the axe model.
Thank you. The axe is a prototype and so far I’ve only seen and heard of one.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”