Knife & Cutlery Ephemera

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Salernoslim

Re: Knife & Cutlery Ephemera

Post by Salernoslim »

orvet wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote: Out of curiosity I researched to find out what knife matched that pattern. Then it took me two years to find and acquire one of those knives, just so I would have the knife that went with the box. Only another knife collector will understand that "logic"! ::facepalm::

Ken
Makes perfect sense to me Ken. ::shrug::
Not only does it make perfect sense, not trying to find the knife to match the box makes absolutely no sense at all............to me at least.
Robert
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

I just recieved these from the 'bay today, and thought I would share for all the case collectors. These are 8x10 glossies and admats from 1976. According to the attached letter, they were to be sent to JC Penny stores to promote the brand. I thought they were pretty interesting, hope you do too!
Attachments
053.JPG
055.JPG
057.JPG
058.JPG
054.JPG
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Very cool.

What are "admats" and how were they used? They appear to be reverse printed.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

Charlie, I am not exactly sure, but I believe they somehow pressed paper to "emboss" the imprint of the knife onto that paper. At least thats what I think they are for. ::shrug::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Very cool.

What are "admats" and how were they used? They appear to be reverse printed.

Charlie Noyes
I believe they are used to print flyers and possibly catalogs. The printing process probably doesn't require a lot of pressure like older processes did and cost much less to produce than the old ones which were usually etched copper. I have some older copper plates that were used in newspaper printing(not knife related)and I believe Dimitri has a bunch of older knife plates. They would probably work to produce several hundred copies rather than the thousands normally printed with copper plates.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Ray. That makes sense. Simple, limited use, reversed printable images to be used by the local retailer, J. C. Penny in this case, for advertising purposes.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

Thanks for enlightening us Ray! ::tu:: I find them interesting.
junebug

Post by junebug »

HERE IS SOME EPHEMERA ...............

1976 COUNTER TOP DISPLAY CASE , FOR SOME OLD HARDWARE STORE UNITS.

TAKING OFFERS B4 IT GOES ON EBAY IN A FEW DAYS ::super_happy:: ::tu::
I NEED A NEW HAIR CUT :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSCN3342.JPG
DSCN3344.JPG
DSCN3337.JPG
DSCN3331.JPG
LIL OFF THE TOP.jpg
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........ ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ......................
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I'd find another barber,that's a crappy haircut. ::tounge::
Roger
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A somewhat more tonsorially artistic and industrious barber would have made the guy straddling and squatting over the nape of your neck and holding onto both your ears.

That way everyone looking from the back or from either side could appreciate what you were attempting to convey.

Feel free to use that the next time you're drunk enough to have sort of thing done. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
cato

Post by cato »

found this link for A.J. JORDAN KNIVES CATALOG POST HERE BUT IF SOMEONE CAN PUT IT IN BETTER PLACE. ENJOY

https://archive.org/details/catalog00ajjo
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I thought I'd revive this old thread.Last weekend at the Wilmington knife show we set up a Maher & Grosh display with a lot of old catalogs,boxes,post cards,trade cards,book marks,invoices and some knives.
Attachments
20161007_113656.jpg
20161007_113705.jpg
20161007_113712.jpg
20161007_113717.jpg
20161007_113729.jpg
Roger
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Fantastic display Roger!

Thanks for sharing. Sorry I wasn't there to see it in person.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks Wayne.We plan on doing it some more.
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Very cool display Roger ::tu:: ::tu:: ... lots of interesting M&G ephemera!!

I have been wanting to show this piece of ephemera which I think is fairly unique and now that this thread was revived I figured this would be a good time to show it… I am pretty particular about buying ephemera and it is not something I go after aggressively but no doubt when the occasion and associated prices are right I go for certain pieces… Nonetheless I have seen all different pieces of ephemera over time including catalogs, boxes, invoices etc but have not any bank checks from an old cutlery as a payment (though I am sure they are out there I just haven’t seen any in all sources I have seen)…

This is an interesting original bank check from H&B Mfg Co New Britain with a nice H&B bank letterhead that was written in 1870 and notably signed by the treasurer at the time Virgil P. Humason who became treasurer of H&B in 1866 (son of William L. Humason who started the company and who later after his father's death took over the company) – yes that is VP Humason’s original signature on the check ;-)… The check even had the revenue stamp canceled on it (something that was done in early banking and I believe was associated with tax payments). I have been trying to explore to whom it was written etc… AP Collins was no doubt a lawyer in New Britain CT and was heavily involved as well in New Britain politics. Following incorporation of New Britain CT as a city in 1870 AP Collins was voted in as part of City Council as Treasurer in 1871 when the first Mayor was elected Frederick T Stanley (yes the same person that started Stanley Tools)... so the check written in 1870 by H&B to him was prior to AP Collins being treasurer of the City Council in CT from what I can gather from background... The check was for $40.56 and in 1870 that was a fair amount of money but I do not know what the check was written for at that time... maybe the back of check where it was endorsed by multiple people in NYC is a clue and I will investigate further (though it may be bank oriented info)... perhaps at that time checks needed an lawyer/esquirer and cashier as was listed on check... but in the left bottom the check was written to what I think says - GF Seaz (or is it Leaz – I have trouble reading proper handwriting from the old days) Orville, Ohio and handwritten in pencil next to it is Wayne Co - the next avenue to explore !!! I have not found a clue as the connection to the individual in Ohio. So I am still investigating… and if anybody has any clues please let me know ::nod::
H&B Check - Front.jpeg
H&B Check - Back.jpeg
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is quite an investigation you are conducting. Best of luck with it.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Quick Steel ::tu:: .... just thought it may be interesting to figure out what the check was written for and associated names on the check.... who knows what little piece of trivia may be revealed or not :)
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Cool piece of H&B history. Thanks for posting Lee!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Interesting piece of history LB. I would be interested in knowing what you might find out.
steve99f
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Orrville Ohio is in Wayne County. Orrville is the headquarters for J M Smuckers. Also the boyhood home of Bobby Knight.
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a neat document that is, Lee. ::tu::
Great informative post. ::tu::
Hope you're doing well.
Joe
Mason

Post by Mason »

peanut740 wrote:I thought I'd revive this old thread.Last weekend at the Wilmington knife show we set up a Maher & Grosh display with a lot of old catalogs,boxes,post cards,trade cards,book marks,invoices and some knives.
That is an absolutely wonderful display!!! And so nice that you can share with and inspire others with this collection.
I love the old M&G catalogs and have been collecting them for years.
Attachments
Maher Grosh ephemera (1403x1500).jpg
Mason

Post by Mason »

LongBlade wrote:Very cool display Roger ::tu:: ::tu:: ... lots of interesting M&G ephemera!!

I have been wanting to show this piece of ephemera which I think is fairly unique and now that this thread was revived I figured this would be a good time to show it… I am pretty particular about buying ephemera and it is not something I go after aggressively but no doubt when the occasion and associated prices are right I go for certain pieces… Nonetheless I have seen all different pieces of ephemera over time including catalogs, boxes, invoices etc but have not any bank checks from an old cutlery as a payment (though I am sure they are out there I just haven’t seen any in all sources I have seen)…

This is an interesting original bank check from H&B Mfg Co New Britain with a nice H&B bank letterhead that was written in 1870 and notably signed by the treasurer at the time Virgil P. Humason who became treasurer of H&B in 1866 (son of William L. Humason who started the company and who later after his father's death took over the company) – yes that is VP Humason’s original signature on the check ;-)… The check even had the revenue stamp canceled on it (something that was done in early banking and I believe was associated with tax payments). I have been trying to explore to whom it was written etc… AP Collins was no doubt a lawyer in New Britain CT and was heavily involved as well in New Britain politics. Following incorporation of New Britain CT as a city in 1870 AP Collins was voted in as part of City Council as Treasurer in 1871 when the first Mayor was elected Frederick T Stanley (yes the same person that started Stanley Tools)... so the check written in 1870 by H&B to him was prior to AP Collins being treasurer of the City Council in CT from what I can gather from background... The check was for $40.56 and in 1870 that was a fair amount of money but I do not know what the check was written for at that time... maybe the back of check where it was endorsed by multiple people in NYC is a clue and I will investigate further (though it may be bank oriented info)... perhaps at that time checks needed an lawyer/esquirer and cashier as was listed on check... but in the left bottom the check was written to what I think says - GF Seaz (or is it Leaz – I have trouble reading proper handwriting from the old days) Orville, Ohio and handwritten in pencil next to it is Wayne Co - the next avenue to explore !!! I have not found a clue as the connection to the individual in Ohio. So I am still investigating… and if anybody has any clues please let me know ::nod::

H&B Check - Front.jpeg

H&B Check - Back.jpeg

What a great piece of paperwork!!!
I will love to hear what more you discover with this puzzle. :)
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Excellent display Roger. ::tu::

I hope to see it in person in the not too distant future.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”