Landers Frary and Clark

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
DemonV

Re: Landers Frary and Clark

Post by DemonV »

Lee damn thank you for the wealth of knowledge ! Is there any way to stop the gassing process and I don’t have many collectors knives just my NRA lifetime member buck and 75th anniversary buck it was just a luck find there was all kinds of odd things at t the job I worked up north started as a truck stop then antique shop then storage facility I wouldn’t be surprised if the wasn’t a lot of LFC stuff there but inside I left it alone but when my friend a I went for a hike she literally pulled it out of the mud
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

My pleasure DemonV ::tu:: ... In reference to outgassing - first I should say your knife looks good right now from looking at the photos and I am not seeing any signs of outgassing... for what it is worth I have heard that the french ivoroid or ivorine is more stable as celluloid so that is a bonus. Best one can do is keep it at a fairly constant temperature and not sitting in sunlight... However I know some people who believe if it is carried in your pocket more often that it is best - unfortunately the trigger of outgassing is not well understood for celluloid in terms of what sets it off... there have been a few discussions on outgassing on AAPK - here's a link to one that may be helpful - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54367&p=604427&hili ... ng#p604427 ... I would enjoy the knife and do as you please with it (carry or store it) as it is not particularly valuable - I think it is pretty cool that it was found in the mud :) - certainly doesn't look like it.

Cheers
Lee
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The backspring is broken, still good for parts or restoration ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Good catch Dimitri ::tu:: ... I missed that in the post if noted and I think when I browsed down through pics I was thinking that was a blade in the liner ::doh:: ::facepalm:: .... celluloid still looks good at the moment but less of a concern now :D ...

Post by FRJ »

Here's a nice Landers Frary & Clark stockman with the composition covers still very much intact. 4 inches closed.
Attachments
DSCN0369.JPG
DSCN0373.JPG
DSCN0376.JPG
DSCN0379.JPG
DSCN0383.JPG
DSCN0385.JPG
DSCN0390.JPG
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Joe - That's one nice LF&C stockman ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I'm guessing 3 5/8" closed???? :)

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Lee. ::tu::
It's 4 inches closed.
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

LF&C big cigar jack,salesman sample.
Attachments
20200217_160437.jpg
20200217_160447.jpg
20200217_160530.jpg
20200217_160537.jpg
20200217_160550.jpg
Roger
BWT

Post by BWT »

Really enjoying all your Moose patterns in all the different threads Roger! You really did pick up some really nice ones, thanks for sharing all of them ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Very nice LF&C Roger ::tu:: ::tu:: ... The black compo handles even look good !!

Post by bleasure »

Hi everyone - I'm grateful I came across this thread! I was recently given my great grandfather's pocket knife. It's a Universal Landers, Frary & Clark jackknife that lived in the far North Country of NY most of its life. I could use some help getting more information about it, if there's any to be had. The knife was completely rusted when I got it. I've done some rust removal and cleaning up with a [very brief] vinegar bath for the blades, some 400+ grit sandpaper, and steel wool. Before I do any more, I want to know more about what I'm dealing with.

This thread has helped me identify the handle material - well, as far as "rubberoid" is illuminating, lol. I'd really like to learn its make/model/age if anyone can help with that, along with anything else about it I can. Should I assume the steel is 1095?

Tang markings are:
LF&C
USA

Serial no: looks like 02623

The Universal etching on the blade was already half gone underneath the rust, seemingly from wear more than oxidation. I'd like to avoid any further damage to it, while getting as much patina and pitting out as I'm able. Does anyone know if rubberoid might react badly to evaporust, or if something like Flitz would further harm the etching if I tried to use it on the blades?
Attachments
0628212036.jpg
0628212037.jpg
0628212037a.jpg
0628212036b.jpg
0628212036c.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Hi bleasure, welcome to the forum.

You have a very nice dog leg jack there. May I suggest you stop cleaning it.
Certainly up to you but considering it's age will probably wear the rest of its history well.
Patina can sometimes reflect credibility.
You are fortunate indeed to have your Great Grandfathers pocket knife.
The handles are holding up quite well.
How long is the knife closed?
Joe
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Thanks FRJ! I agree, I'm really glad to have it. And thank you for the type name. It's 3" closed, and the larger blade is 2". The handles are in great shape, save for what I'm assuming is a little shrinkage at the edges.

As far as cleaning goes - I agree. In another life I was an archival worker, and am averse to any destructive restoration unless it's literally necessary. In this case, what I've done has been light, and aimed only at arresting further decay / restoring it to a sound, useable state. I don't intend to do much more than I have already. It's gone from zero detent, and universal rust masking all of its marks, to surprisingly crisp half stops for both blades for instance - the larger esp. I wish I'd taken pictures before I started, I'm shocked at how well it's come along.

That said, I'd still love to know about materials and interactions for future knife care, if you or anyone has info on the above. I'd like to be as careful as possible with anything I do. Got a really cool Sword brand Camillus I'm picking up tomorrow that may need a little work, for instance.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. You’re very fortunate to have a knife that belonged to your grandfather! I’m in total agreement with Joe regarding further cleaning of it - think of your grandfather carrying it, using it, and caring for it. The wear and dings were out there by him, and thus are treasures unto themselves. ::tu::

Here’s a thread created just to answer questions about knife care and cleaning. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

This is super useful, thank you for the link Ken! I promise, the cleaning I'm doing is just to keep it healthy - I'm not kidding about the intensity of the rust. It was sitting unoiled in my Dad's dresser for... 40 years? And I don't know what state it was in before that to begin with. The existing wear on the knife is only evident because of what I've done so far, and I'm excited to be able to see it. My aim isn't cleaning it "to 'mint,'" just to the level of care it deserves.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Just to add a bit to the LF&C lore, UNIVERSAL was their name for use on many products (such as Sears used the name CRAFTSMAN on many tool products). OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

bleasure wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:53 am It's a Universal Landers, Frary & Clark jackknife
While putting a knife away I came across a L.F.C. quite like the OP.
I didn't see a model number and the etching, if there ever was one, is long gone. 3 1/16" closed. 1/2 stops x 2.
Covers are still solid. Its a nice little well used knife.
Attachments
DSCN9862.JPG
DSCN9868.JPG
DSCN9871.JPG
DSCN9873.JPG
DSCN9875.JPG
Joe
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

My one and only, so far, is a L. F. & C. - U.S.A. (LANDERS, FRARY & CLARK), 2 blade, 1 tang stamp, 3 1/8" closed pocket knife. Both sides of the handle have an ad for "THE TRAVELERS INSURANCE COMPANY." I obtained this pocket knife as part of my continuing investigation into Whitehead & Hoag advertising pocket knives and which cutlery companies manufactured them.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Going back through this thread I noticed that someone had posted a L.F.&C. food chopper on page one. I bought one of those at a yard sale a couple years ago for $5 just for the name. No box and it only had two blades.
Dome other one's I have acquired since I posted originally:
A grapefruit knife.
A straight razor in box with gold accents and mother-of-pearl tang cover.
A boy's knife.
A trocar set(look it up;it is pretty gruesome in its use).
A set of table knives.
And finally the rehandling of my scout knife after I managed to set the original handles on fire while grinding a center rivet.
Attachments
LF&CNo.1UniversalFoodChopper-$5 001.jpg
L.F.&C.GrapefruitKnife1.JPG
Landers,Frary,&ClarkRazor1.JPG
LF&C1Blade 001.jpg
LF&CTrocarSet 001.jpg
LF&CUniversalTableKnife600 001.jpg
LF&CDamage 003.jpg
L.F.&C.ScoutRepair2019 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Neat old one, LF&C single clip with checkered hard rubber covers.
Attachments
IMG_4591.jpeg
IMG_4593.jpeg
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

JohnR wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:16 pm Neat old one, LF&C single clip with checkered hard rubber covers.
*that* is a neat one.
Clark23

Post by Clark23 »

This is my only L.F.&C, can’t find no information about this particular knife. Single Blade, Ebony wood?, Brass liners, backside tang stamp includes the numbers 2244 3/4.
Attachments
EDD33173-48F5-4358-827B-D576AF43D223.jpeg
FA035D03-6465-4C5D-9E64-3168970A3EB2.jpeg
518A7F56-27BD-43EB-8DC1-C5C1A241B148.jpeg
22CA98CA-EEEC-4CAC-9F65-9048F5B2D9C7.jpeg
Clark23

Post by Clark23 »

JohnR wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:16 pm Neat old one, LF&C single clip with checkered hard rubber covers.
Nice L.F.&C. Barlow John 👍🏻
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

A little used 3 1/4" LF&C pearl Senator with Universal etch, has a pattern number etch on main also which I have not seen before, great little Sunday carry knife.
Attachments
IMG_5638.jpeg
IMG_5639.jpeg
IMG_5642.jpeg
IMG_5645.jpeg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Good looking little Senator, John. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”