Terrier Cutlery Company

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Pile Driver

Re: Terrier Cutlery Company

Post by Pile Driver »

Wow that's a great display
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a very nice show of knives and razors, Charlie. ::nod::
Congratulations. ::tu::
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Looking good Charlie! ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

VERY impressive Charlie
Ike
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Wonderful high grade collection Charlie! We all know how hard it is to find Terriers let alone in collectible excellent condition ::nod::
Lloyd
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

One of my big regrets is that when first informed about Terriers by Cindy Taylor in the late 1980's, I declined to pursue or purchase them as I wanted "Robesons".

I passed up some great Terriers back when hardly anyone knew how old or great they were.

Now, it's difficult to find nice ones and there is more competition for them, so they cost more.

There's a nice jack on Ebay right now, but I'm not bidding on it.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I searched "Terrier knife" on ebay and it brought up a few Bulldog knives, no USA Terrier knife. Charlie could you give a link or auction #.
thanks, kj
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sorry,Roland. I did not see this in time. It sold for seventy-five.
Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I was sitting in a parking lot last week while my wife was seeing one of her doctors and thought I’d check my e-mail on my cell phone.

I had a message from Lloyd Duff alerting me to a nice looking Terrier on EBay.

I looked at it, found it desirable and tried to buy it via the Buy-It-Now option, but could not as I was not logged into EBay on the phone and had no idea what my password might be. I know. Go figure.

Three hours later, when I finally got to my PC, the knife was still listed and I bought it, hoping it was as nice as it appeared.

This is what I received.

It is a 3 1/4” pearl handled Terrier Congress Whittler with a sheep foot master and two pens. The blades are close to mint with crocus polish on the front and glaze finish on the back. They all have half-stops and audible snaps opening, closing and at the half-stops.

Master is stamped TERRIER / CUTLERY / ROCHESTER, N.Y. And the pens are both marked TERRIER / CUTLERY. There is a dog’s head on the back of the master and and the pattern number 21 / 732 in two lines on one of the pens. That equates to a Robeson six digit number of 732021, which would be an early shape pattern at 021.

There is a little scratch on the front handle, otherwise they are in great condition.

Interestingly, after I received the knife, the seller listed another just like it, but not as nice. I looked at his list of auctions and he has five Congress Whittlers on EBay, all of different manufacturers. I found that very interesting.
Attachments
D6FD8325-DEC9-4ED7-9B61-C660427C62A3.jpeg
0FABB31D-068D-4866-B0FD-FE28F6920EC8.jpeg
7970BE90-1BF2-4D85-9EE0-1C42E9920B5F.jpeg
4C55C7BF-4F83-42EE-B32E-9E56C439E650.jpeg
84A16948-BE7F-4917-B20E-9AE990776496.jpeg
D055F755-4E2A-4F29-80ED-5448656EC6CF.jpeg
FA655713-2610-4BA6-B9BB-3D8A65D1F2E0.jpeg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
wlf

Post by wlf »

Tickled you got it Charlie. Ain’t it funny how saved searches are emailed too late most of the time.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:46 pm I was sitting in a parking lot last week while my wife was seeing one of her doctors and thought I’d check my e-mail on my cell phone.

I had a message from Lloyd Duff alerting me to a nice looking Terrier on EBay.

I looked at it, found it desirable and tried to buy it via the Buy-It-Now option, but could not as I was not logged into EBay on the phone and had no idea what my password might be. I know. Go figure.

Three hours later, when I finally got to my PC, the knife was still listed and I bought it, hoping it was as nice as it appeared.

This is what I received.

It is a 3 1/4” pearl handled Terrier Congress Whittler with a sheep foot master and two pens. The blades are close to mint with crocus polish on the front and glaze finish on the back. They all have half-stops and audible snaps opening, closing and at the half-stops.

Master is stamped TERRIER / CUTLERY / ROCHESTER, N.Y. And the pens are both marked TERRIER / CUTLERY. There is a dog’s head on the back of the master and and the pattern number 21 / 732 in two lines on one of the pens. That equates to a Robeson six digit number of 732021, which would be an early shape pattern at 021.

There is a little scratch on the front handle, otherwise they are in great condition.

Interestingly, after I received the knife, the seller listed another just like it, but not as nice. I looked at his list of auctions and he has five Congress Whittlers on EBay, all of different manufacturers. I found that very interesting.
Congratulations Charlie, that is a beauty.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Glad you got that one Charlie. She's a beauty ! ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Well done Charlie,that is a nice one! ::tu::
Roger
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks to all.

Anybody have an idea re' that small pin in the top bolster, front side?

Cannot see to know if it goes through the liner.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful knife! ::tu:: Perhaps the bolsters were pinned to the liners and that pin is showing? Just a wild guess.
Dan
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That's an idea, Dan. The blade pin in the top bolster is totally invisible, and just faintly visible in the bottom.

I've never seen pinned bolsters on a Robeson knife, but that is an obvious answer.

I wonder if a cutler would have done that just to get that one bolster to lie flat.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This 027 Terrier EZ Opener was posted on Ebay this past week for $100.00.

It has been heavily buffed and ordinarily I would not have been interested.

But, I have never seen a Terrier knife with dog's heads on the front of the master blade, much less on the front of both blades and the other stamps are a Terrier stamp I have never seen before, so I made an offer on the knife, but while that was in progress, someone bought it for the Buy-It-Now price.

:(

I still have not figured out the stamps on the back of the blades and this is the best I can do with the seller's photos. I have cropped, resized and sharpened.

I see TERRIER / CUT. CO. / ??????? with the last part of that possibly being "CITY".

Anybody able to figure this out?

Logically, it could be NEW YORK CITY, as Robeson had a showroom there, but I cannot see that in that bottom line.

Charlie
Attachments
Terrier Two Dog Stamp 2.jpg
Terrier Two Dog Stamp.jpg
Terrier 027.jpg
Terrier 027.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:25 pm I still have not figured out the stamps on the back of the blades and this is the best I can do with the seller's photos. I have cropped, resized and sharpened.

I see TERRIER / CUT. CO. / ??????? with the last part of that possibly being "CITY".

Anybody able to figure this out?

Logically, it could be NEW YORK CITY, as Robeson had a showroom there, but I cannot see that in that bottom line.
Charlie, An interesting observation. It looks to me the way the spacing is on the "TY" there would not be enough room to spell out New York City on 1 line. It could possibly be N.Y. CITY......Just a guess. Maybe someone here on AAPK was the buyer?
Barry
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I believe you might be right.

“N.Y. CITY” is a distinct possibility.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I have a nice Terrier 027, so I did not need the knife, but a previously unknown tang stamp was interesting enough.

I’d love to have a nice clear photo of those marks.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Received this today from Mike Losicco.

It is a 4 1/2” lock back folding Hunter with beautiful dark jigged and worm-grooved bone scales.

Clip blade that locks up tight. This knife never had the folding guards, it is a different pattern.

It’s pattern number is 72 / 612, so an identical Robeson would be numbered 612072.

The tang stamp is TERRIER / CUTLERY / ROCHESTER, N.Y.

And there is a small dog’s head logo to the left of the pattern number stamp. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.
Attachments
ECB312C1-F633-4318-9082-5839E1EF80D5.jpeg
619F65A7-CA87-43A4-8676-A7DC9AC50C38.jpeg
1957FFE6-C232-4B04-B23F-C6265D5E284E.jpeg
C1C3799C-25F5-4E03-8888-C43E3F253DE6.jpeg
13BF1365-215D-4932-A9F4-0A152D73BC32.jpeg
D2B66E53-DC93-47FC-BEF5-F91BDBE3D675.jpeg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Very nice Terrier Charlie ::tu:: Those dark heavily jigged worm grooved bone handles are just gorgeous! Interesting that they were able to squeeze the small dog head in there on the pile side tang along with the pattern number—the dog head is always like “frosting on the cake”. I think with your recent Terrier folder additions it would be great to see all your Terriers in an updated group photo ::nod:: Congratulations on another fine addition.
Lloyd
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Charlie ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Great example Charlie.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Charlie, That is NICE.

Harold

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”