Terrier Cutlery Company

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Kevin11b

Re: Terrier Cutlery Company

Post by Kevin11b »

Hey it’s a terrier they are all cool !
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Yeah, you're right. ::tu:: J.O'.
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

This just came in today. Looks like it has been cleaned but if so they did a good job. I really really love it. Special thanks to a special person for his help and selflessness. Thanks so much Charlie!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Kevin11b wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:15 pm This just came in today. Looks like it has been cleaned but if so they did a good job. I really really love it. Special thanks to a special person for his help and selflessness. Thanks so much Charlie!
Extremely beautiful knife!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

WooHoo, Doggie! $$$$$$$ ::tu:: J.O'.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Congratulations Kevin. ::tu::

If I remember correctly, the seller's auction description suggested it might have been cleaned.

Still a nice knife and I believe the only Terrier Coke Bottle Folding Hunter I have ever seen.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Thanks to all ! Yes he did say it was possible. His father in law was a collector. They are liquidating his estate, very nice folks to deal with. I also bought a couple of kabar coke bottle from him to show how much better terriers are 🙂
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Kevin, what a beautiful knife. Happy for you. ::tu:: ::tu::
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Thanks Floyd !
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Memory refresher there is another nice old coke bottle terrier on page 11 of this thread .
RobesonsRme.com

Yeah, I saw that today. My memory isn't what it used to be.

There is a sweet little Terrier 267 / 732 pearl whittler on Ebay right now, but they are asking $350.00.

I have the pattern already and the Ebay knife is no upgrade for me at that price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TERRIER-CUTLER ... SwA8FgKYWd

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Don’t feel bad my memory shot too isn’t getting old fun. Hey Charlie can’t find that terrier. What search criteria did you use ? Already spent enough for now on that last one but would like to look at it Kevin
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Oh never mind I found it. Sure is pretty.
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Well I picked up the terrier that Charlie referred to in a previous post Kept trying to restrain myself but couldn’t help it any longer! It started at 350 then down to 299 then I got an offer at 280 Waited a while and I counter offered 225.00 and he accepted! Surprised it was on eBay as long as it was. Doesn’t look as nice as Charlie’s but it looks in pretty good shape. Haven’t received it yet. Kevin
Attachments
F53DC029-4F33-456D-8F1C-4FB180785597.png
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Oh Charlie thanks for the heads up !
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Two lovely old knives, Kevin. ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Thanks Danno!!!! Really like terriers and there are some really nice ones on this thread
RobesonsRme.com

You’re welcome Kevin. I love spending other people’s money.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

The greatest discovery since the wheel or the ramblings of an aapk newbie. Let u decide. So, many posts back on this thread there was a discussion about what was stamped on a terrier pattern 027 I believe. It was a unique stamp and not completely legible , so hard to draw definitive conclusion. And in fact even if the stamp had been totally legible it could have been a crazy one off of sorts well I was fortunate enough to have purchased a knife that was also an 027 also the same tang stamp except this one is completely legible and supports the conclusions of the original knife. Soooo I am going out on a limb and stating that we have for sure a new previously undiscovered terrier tang stamp. I would like to know the years they had their NY showroom as that may help with production dates for this knife. Ok I am done ready to be beaten up 😊but until then very excited.
Attachments
811E2B2C-DAB6-4C1B-A2A2-302A0E63EC00.jpeg
9727B177-37A0-4F25-8E64-48C37AA04C64.jpeg
A006D61C-4677-4601-86EA-BA94B422C36E.jpeg
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Sorry having trouble posting clear pics of the tang stamp I will work on that. But it states Terrier first line then cut. Co. Second line and last line what u guys suspected NY city thanks Kevin
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Ok think the pics I got work well enough to see
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Kevin, I have not much knowledge on Terriers but that is a beautiful knife. Congrats. ::handshake::
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Thanks Floyd. I do like it , course the broken reprofiled blade not so nice But the tang stamps are very interesting.
RobesonsRme.com

Very nice, Kevin. ::tu::

Other than the dates, 1910 to 1916, there is not much known about Terrier Cutlery and frankly, there are no guarantees those dates are accurate.

I have never seen any paper from Robeson re' Terrier cutlery. I have never seen a catalog or any kind of price list for them and I've never seen a Terrier knife box, though there was a rumor of one's existence a number of years ago.

I know Robeson had an office and showrooms on Fifth Avenue in New York City, but I don't know when it was there. I have an all metal self-advertiser that states that and has both Robeson Cutlery Co and Rochester Stamping Co (Not Works) on it, so the knife might coincide with the accepted dates of manufacture for Terrier knives.

Irving S. Robeson was an avid sportsman. He was a jumping and/or dressage horseman, a very successful amateur golfer, winning tournaments all up and down the Atlantic Seaboard and I suspect he was a breeder or owner of American Pit-bull Terriers, hence the name given to the short-lived, but premium quality line of knives, folding and straight. I have a large Terrier meat cleaver and there are a couple of Terrier kitchen knives in the Robeson catalog reproduced by David Clark a few years ago.
Attachments
023511$230-1.jpg
023511$230-2.jpg
023511$230-3.jpg
023511$230-4.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Thank you for more info. It is unfortunate we have so little information. But at least one more tang stamp! However another confusing bit of information comes from the wonderful knife you included photos of . Here you have a knife clearly associated with N.Y. City yet it has a Rochester ny tang stamp. At least that stamp placed it near the terrier time period. And I have a terrier with a punch blade with the usual apr. 25-05 stamp and with a 17 year limit (which I believe is correct) on patents at that time , that also backs up terriers dates of 1910-1916 In fact I think I will show some pics of the knife with the punch blade as I have a question maybe you or someone can answer thanks Kevin

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”