Old Rope Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
BWT

Re: Old Rope Knives

Post by BWT »

JohnR wrote:
JAMESC41001 wrote:Very cool knife John! And an awesome group
Thank you, better pic of the three Miller Bros, I would think a difficult set to put together.
Very nice John, very nice to have all three ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

David, Bill, thanks for the comments.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

John, I like all three; how can one not? But, I really like that WWI knife.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

JohnR wrote:
Thank you, better pic of the three Miller Bros, I would think a difficult set to put together.
Wow John - That’s what I call “3 Aces” - Lovely trio ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I thought I was doing good with having found the 2 but never have seen a Miller Bros sailors knife with the manicure blade - I thought I was lucky finding the Thomaston Sailors knife... Great group John and super hunting :D ::tu:: ... and sorry I missed this .. still trying to catch up from 2 weeks ago..
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

LongBlade wrote:
JohnR wrote:
Wow John - That’s what I call “3 Aces” - Lovely trio ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I thought I was doing good with having found the 2 but never have seen a Miller Bros sailors knife with the manicure blade - I thought I was lucky finding the Thomaston Sailors knife... Great group John and super hunting :D ::tu:: ... and sorry I missed this .. still trying to catch up from 2 weeks ago..
Thank you Lee and Charlie, yea, I was pretty happy to put this group together, the hardest one for me to find was the middle one, they are out there but most are missing the lanyard ring or the blade is worn.
Campbellclanman

Post by Campbellclanman »

John Matey
Again my friend- just WOW Factor on finalising a hard-to-get set ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Campbellclanman wrote:John Matey
Again my friend- just WOW Factor on finalising a hard-to-get set ::tu::

Thank you Duncan, it's nice having this set.
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

Those are something else John
I just have the largest variety, got it from my local CL and it turned up in a thrift in Gloucester MA originally which I find cool.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Here is my R. Bateman Sheffield Sailors knife. It has square joint construction & small round shields. To my understanding these features were quite common during the Civil War Era. Your thoughts are welcome & appreciated!
Here is the only info I could dig up on it. With the prominent curved end, kinda resembles the "Smiths Key" sailors knife too in a way. I think its a pretty cool knife
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG
69498784_693391214460893_1428055554810445824_n.jpg
69509857_1295233793971326_5268204149379432448_n.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Here's one a buddy of mine gifted me a few months ago and I believe a few others have been posted previously... Camillus Rope knife with jigged wood handles - WWII vintage and supposedly used on life boats and made for the Coast Guard and Navy...

Mark Side DSCN3238.jpeg
Pile Side DSCN3247.jpeg
Blade Open DSCN3274.jpeg
Tang Stamp DSCN3284.jpeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

My only rope knife, so far.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

NYK 3 1/4"
Attachments
20200423_113815.jpg
20200423_113501.jpg
20200423_113419.jpg
Ike
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Very nice ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Very nice Ike, hard to find.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Here’s a bigger one NYK
Attachments
FCF93064-F15E-4F1C-AA58-AC4A6EB0B022.jpeg
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

galvanic1882 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 pm Here’s a bigger one NYK

Very nice Mike, looks similar to the middle size Miller Bros. Can't remember ever seeing a NYK in that size before.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Thank you, John. Thanks, Mike, and thanks for showing that larger size. I am not well versed in Rope Knives. I have been going through this thread looking at all the great ones shown.
Ike
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ike ::tu::
Roger
KAW

Post by KAW »

KAW wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 am Well.... after going thru this entire thread.... if there is one thing I'd learn.... its there sure is a lot of variety when it comes to rope knives. ::woot::
I sure love threads such as this one.... its like visiting a rope knife museum. :D However.... the reason I went thru the entire thread was in hopes of finding some info about a particular knife I have.... but did find the brand here....

I've been told by others that this single blade 4" Ulster Knife Co. with cocobolo wood handle is a farmer's folder or a worn down hawkbill.... but I still get the sense that the blade still keeps its original shape & to me has the looks of a rope knife.... can anyone confirm? As a clue, the blade has the pattern number "1010" stamped on the pile side of the tang.... but I don't have access to any catalogs that list this one. Please help.... ::pray::

10232 10234
10233 10235
This post (& knife) of nearly three years ago, earlier in the thread back on page 13, created a bit of controversy... well I recently picked up another Ulster No 1010 (definitely a hawkbill) that I thought would be in comparison the final conclusion about the first 1010. It ended up only confusing matters more. Despite both knives being stamped "1010" on the pile side, they are obviously not the same knife. The more recent acquisition is larger with the blade sitting much prouder. The pins & their arrangement is different. Even the shape of the handles are different. There is so much of a difference between the two that now I'm wondering how could they both be identified an the 1010 pattern? ::shrug::
11961 11962

11959 11960
P.S. My apologies for the blurriness of the last image
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Anchors Away!
Attachments
Thomaston, Challenge
Thomaston, Challenge
Valley Forge, NYK
Valley Forge, NYK
Union, Robeson
Union, Robeson
W R Case, Camillus
W R Case, Camillus
Ike
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ike,you're about ready to go to sea! ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice collection Ike ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Interesting as you have a Thomaston - about 1-2 years ago I showed one and JohnR as well - prior to this Thomaston was not listed as having made these Sailor's knives and now 3 have appeared 8) ....
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

KAW wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:20 pm
KAW wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 am Well.... after going thru this entire thread.... if there is one thing I'd learn.... its there sure is a lot of variety when it comes to rope knives. ::woot::
I sure love threads such as this one.... its like visiting a rope knife museum. :D However.... the reason I went thru the entire thread was in hopes of finding some info about a particular knife I have.... but did find the brand here....

I've been told by others that this single blade 4" Ulster Knife Co. with cocobolo wood handle is a farmer's folder or a worn down hawkbill.... but I still get the sense that the blade still keeps its original shape & to me has the looks of a rope knife.... can anyone confirm? As a clue, the blade has the pattern number "1010" stamped on the pile side of the tang.... but I don't have access to any catalogs that list this one. Please help.... ::pray::

10232 10234
10233 10235
This post (& knife) of nearly three years ago, earlier in the thread back on page 13, created a bit of controversy... well I recently picked up another Ulster No 1010 (definitely a hawkbill) that I thought would be in comparison the final conclusion about the first 1010. It ended up only confusing matters more. Despite both knives being stamped "1010" on the pile side, they are obviously not the same knife. The more recent acquisition is larger with the blade sitting much prouder. The pins & their arrangement is different. Even the shape of the handles are different. There is so much of a difference between the two that now I'm wondering how could they both be identified an the 1010 pattern? ::shrug::
11961 11962

11959 11960
P.S. My apologies for the blurriness of the last image
Interesting question, Ken. My first guess would be changes in the pattern over time, however, the two knives appear to be from about the same time period?
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great collection of navy knives, Ike! ::tu:: I believe that there is a thread on those, and a list of makers, over on BF.
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Dan... I believe they are from about the same era.

What excellent examples of sailor's knives, Ike! ::tu::
The variety in the appearance of the bone handles among the different manufactures is very interesting. 8)
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”