Mckinley Tariff of 1890

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mckinley Tariff of 1890

Post by peanut740 »

Here's an interesting little pearl New York Knife Co that kind of fits in this old thread.Etched McKinley & Roosevelt. This would have been 1900 campaign. Wonder if Mr.Bradley of NYKC was returning a favor to McKinley?
Attachments
20190604_174358.jpg
20190604_174659.jpg
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a beautiful little knife, Roger.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Roger - Not only a really nice knife with great etch but a cool historical connection ::tu:: ::tu:: .. I became interested in the McKinley Tariff when I was researching out the Pocket Knife Blade Grinders and Finishers Union in that time frame - really interesting times for the cutleries.. Thanks for showing that one 8)
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Roger's knife, which is fantastic by the way, reminds of a mint, candle-end, four blade pearl handled lobster, I bought off Ebay several years ago.

I have actually forgotten the maker, but it was probably Schrade.

Master blade, a spear, was very nicely etched "HERBERT HOOVER".

I was the only bidder and bought it for just a few dollars. It was a no reserve auction.

I took it to the knife show in Dalton and sold it to a dealer for many times what I had paid.

I honestly believe no one else thought Herbert Hoover etched on the knife was a significant factor.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”