new york knife co

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: new york knife co

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knife! ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Eleven months between posts to this thread and you revived it in a big way.

Great knife. ::tu::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

FRJ wrote:"Pretty nice".
I don't know, John. ::undecided:: Some of those matchstrike hoozies aren't quite even. ::facepalm::

Actually, I'd go with downright beautiful. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
RobesonsRme.com wrote:Eleven months between posts to this thread and you revived it in a big way.

Great knife. ::tu::

Charlie

Thank you all for the comments. Charlie, I was surprised to see how long it had been since someone posted a new to them NYK knife.

Joe, thanks for pointing out those uneven matchstrike hoozies, I'll have to get rid of the knife now :) :) :)
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

John that is as good as they come!!

Harold
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

John that is one gorgeous NYK EO jack and what outstanding condition ::tu:: ::tu::
Lloyd
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Duffer wrote:John that is one gorgeous NYK EO jack and what outstanding condition ::tu:: ::tu::

I agree with Lloyd, its a keeper! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Campbellclanman

Post by Campbellclanman »

Hey there John
Again- My friend that is outstanding! ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com

Just curious and totally serious, is "hoozies" a traditional name for the indentations in a match-strike pull?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

John:

What is the closed length of that Easy-Opener?

The size and elaborateness of the shield seem to announce that it is a really big deal -- my guess is at least 3 3/4 inch.

Very nice "benchmark" piece.
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Great knife John! Congrats.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
wlf

Post by wlf »

All the accolades are deserved John. You’ve done it once more.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

John, that looks amazing. Great score!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Just curious and totally serious, is "hoozies" a traditional name for the indentations in a match-strike pull?
Charlie Noyes
No, Charlie, I was just poking John with a bit of fun.

Probably should be spelled "whozees". It's like "whatzees" only different. :mrgreen:
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

I thought that was the case, but I asked because the vernacular of the old time cutlers could be quite different and colorful.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

stumpstalker wrote:John:

What is the closed length of that Easy-Opener?

The size and elaborateness of the shield seem to announce that it is a really big deal -- my guess is at least 3 3/4 inch.

Very nice "benchmark" piece.
You are close, it is 3 5/8", nice size for a jack. I did leave out that there is a pattern number, 2563, stamped on back of main tang.

Thank you all for the comments, for me the best part of this knife is the sharp etch, so hard to find on knives this old.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

John, you did the right thing hitting the BIN button. I sent the seller an offer on that knife and the KA-BAR and in the twenty minutes it took the seller to answer me you had already purchased the NYK which was the best in the lot. Very nice knife and a great price!!
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Gunsil wrote:John, you did the right thing hitting the BIN button. I sent the seller an offer on that knife and the KA-BAR and in the twenty minutes it took the seller to answer me you had already purchased the NYK which was the best in the lot. Very nice knife and a great price!!
Thanks, I got the Schrade easy open with a best offer but when this one popped up the following morning I decided to just do the BIN although I was tempted to do an offer, looks like I made the right decision for a change.

Did you get thr KaBar? That looked to be a very nice knife also.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Good thing you didn't hesitate like I did!! Yes, I got the KA-BAR, but when it arrived it had been pretty heavily cleaned, the photos weren't that good. But it is a harness jack and I had never seen one by KA-BAR before so I did keep it. He is slowly dropping the prices on the others he has.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

New York pearl campaign knife,etched McKinley & Roosevelt.
Attachments
15592281363091231665158310673110.jpg
15592281616117047305072053075118.jpg
Roger
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I just discovered this thread and I'm glad I did...some very cool knives being shown here.

I've admired New York knives from afar for a long time. These two are the only ones I've managed to acquire (so far).
PA010021.JPG
PA010025.JPG
PA260020.JPG
PA260025.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I think this is the only NYKC knife that I have. It has issues, but it is a family heirloom and I don't want to mess around with it. :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here is a NYKC locked back folding hunter (pattern no. 187) I recently acquired. I have been on the look out for one for several years. Although these are seen for sale somewhat regularly especially on EBay finding one with a full blade and not heavily used/sharpened can be daunting. This one although certainly not pristine has a full blade. I have two other (obviously NYKC manufactured) examples that are branded OVB Spencer Hibbard Bartlett & Co. and the other a Zenith Marshall Wells Hardware Co.

This NYKC example is in excellent used but not abused condition, has no cracks or splits in the pick bone handles (that I can see even under magnification) and tight lockup. The pick bone handles are especially interesting to me. This, I believe, is representative of an earlier made knife. It also does not have the arm-and -hammer logo/trademark that you see on many NYKC knives. My guess is this knife is pre circa 1910. The Biddle Hardware Co. Catalog of 1908 page 900 of the NYKC section shows this knife with pick bone handles in the artist rendering. The mark side tang stamp looks to be the same although the one in the catalog has four pins and mine has five. The other two I mentioned earlier, have bone handles that are more a divot style jigged bone and may have, as some have suggested, been produced using the George Schrade jigging machine (patent granted 1925).
Attachments
C69CE7AF-3DFB-4AF6-8024-04BFE8AC929C.jpeg
3684F703-3F15-41FE-B79B-83E717D7FD8F.jpeg
033A9288-3CB2-4F4C-9A89-604F69A97E03.jpeg
128CA43C-B99C-480F-BFF1-F2937A466B3A.jpeg
D53F8209-8CBA-4CC3-81B4-BB021D890486.jpeg
Lloyd
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Lloyd, great knives, would be happy to have just one of them in the collection much less 3.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks John—I appreciate your nice comments!! :)
Lloyd
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Duffer wrote:Here is a NYKC locked back folding hunter (pattern no. 187) I recently acquired. I have been on the look out for one for several years. Although these are seen for sale somewhat regularly especially on EBay finding one with a full blade and not heavily used/sharpened can be daunting. This one although certainly not pristine has a full blade. I have two other (obviously NYKC manufactured) examples that are branded OVB Spencer Hibbard Bartlett & Co. and the other a Zenith Marshall Wells Hardware Co.

This NYKC example is in excellent used but not abused condition, has no cracks or splits in the pick bone handles (that I can see even under magnification) and tight lockup. The pick bone handles are especially interesting to me. This, I believe, is representative of an earlier made knife. It also does not have the arm-and -hammer logo/trademark that you see on many NYKC knives. My guess is this knife is pre circa 1910. The Biddle Hardware Co. Catalog of 1908 page 900 of the NYKC section shows this knife with pick bone handles in the artist rendering. The mark side tang stamp looks to be the same although the one in the catalog has four pins and mine has five. The other two I mentioned earlier, have bone handles that are more a divot style jigged bone and may have, as some have suggested, been produced using the George Schrade jigging machine (patent granted 1925).
Beauty Lloyd ::tu:: ::tu:: ... this style reminds me also of the Miller Bros Hunter that had a large german silver rear bolster and jigged bone handles ::nod:: ... Don’t hesitate to put your “stunner” in the Tradional Hunters thread which needs a wake up :D

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”