Vintage Mother Of Pearl (MOP) Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Vintage Mother Of Pearl (MOP) Knives

Post by thegreedygulo »

That particular Improved Cutlery tang stamp was the only one used by Boker for both U.S. and German made knives. I'm basing this on Mark Zalesky's Boker article in Knifeworld and familiarity with the brand.
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very fine old whittler, Cal. That is some nice pearl! I think it is especially interesting to see two different tree stamps on the same knife.
Attachments
Tree stamps.jpg
Tree stamps.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 3463 times
Mel
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Since I'm not sure if Ulster actually made this Ellenville Knife Co. cattle knife I'll put it here.
Attachments
elle open 2106.jpg
elle closed109.jpg
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mike,I like! ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Thanks Roger. It's a bit beat up. Must have been something brand new.
Mike Robuck

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mike you regularly come up with rather rare knives and always in excellent condition. Beautiful cattle knife which is at least 100 yrs old.
My pearl contribution is not quite as rare but is an interesting pattern: Keen Kutter (E.C.Simmons i think), 2 7/8" swell center congress whittler, pearl with 'cigar band', sunk joints. Likely this was a premium knife in it's day.
Any info the K.K. collectors care to post about this knife will be appreciated.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5115.JPG
IMGP5113.JPG
IMGP5114.JPG
IMGP5116.JPG
IMGP5116.JPG (45.97 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a beautiful Ellenville, Mike. What a stamp and what a history. Little I read from Goins'.
How long is it?

Also a beautiful little shadow whittler.
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

Mike and Roland two beautiful old knives, thanks for sharing
Bill
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Very nice shadow whittler Roland! Does the cigar band mean it's older? That seems to be true of some German knives with pearl and a band, but no idea on a KK.

Thanks for the nice words on the Ellenville, Roland, Joe and Bill. Joe, it's 3 7/16 (I think) closed. I didn't know anything about the Ellenville mark until I read Goins as well. I thought it was an Ulster when I bought it.
Mike Robuck

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful cattle knife, Mike! ::tu::
Very nice little Keen Kutter, Roland! ::tu:: I believe that is a K3808, made between 1905 to 1908, according to Sellens. Below are catalog pages form 1912 and 1917, showing the K3808. They show a bar shield and no cigar band, however, I am sure there were variations in handles that never made it into the catalogs. Between 1905 and 1918 there were years when no catalogs were put out: the years 1906, 1907, 1909, 1910, 1911 and 1916 did not have catalogs issued. There are also a few pearl handled knives in the Keen Kutter catalogs that have cigar bands, so I know that they were used occasionally. Your knife also has no pattern number (may have originally had an etched pattern number) and I believe that the KKs with no pattern number, or an etched pattern number, are Walden made knives.
Attachments
simmons-1912-no-776-398.jpg
kk2317.jpg
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Further to the KK that Roland posted, here are a couple of pics of a K3808 that was sold on ebay a few months ago. It has a crest shield and an etched pattern number.
Attachments
kk3808a.jpg
kk3808.jpg
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Smelling salts to revive those who might feel faint. It was not coca leaf, but that would also work.
kj
oops i was answering a post on page 54 at bottom about a tiny scoop or spoon in the end of a knife handle.
KAW

Post by KAW »

ObsidianEdge wrote:Since I'm not sure if Ulster actually made this Ellenville Knife Co. cattle knife I'll put it here.
Ahh... so you posted it over here... very nice... now you have me very curious about this Ellenville Knife Co.? ::hmm::

Looks very similar to this 80 to 90 year old Dwight Devine & Sons' Ulster equal ender with MoP handles I just picked up at an antique show at the Warren County, NJ fairgrounds at the end of last month. The dealer had a bunch of pocket knives in a box & I picked out 3 (including this one with a sticker price of $12). She said she would take $20 for all three. The other two were a Kingston & a Wardlow Cutlery / Walden... but I've been carrying this on around in my pocket ever since... as it still has a great edge to all 3 blades ::super_happy::

Its stamped with the pattern №. 33487 on the pile side of the main blade.

10905 10904
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Awesome Ken ::tu:: ::tu:: ... $12 for that beauty of a MOP Dwight Devine & Sons Ulster - great score ::woot:: ... and 2 others for a total of $20 - Sweet!!!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

kootenay joe wrote:Smelling salts to revive those who might feel faint. It was not coca leaf, but that would also work.
kj
oops i was answering a post on page 54 at bottom about a tiny scoop or spoon in the end of a knife handle.
Really? ::uc::
AAPK Janitor
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

That is a nice Devine Ulster Ken. And I think it does look like the Ellenville knife I posted. Mine doesn't have a pattern number, and I paid more than $12 for it! I don't know much about Ellenville other than what I read in Goins. This knife did come out of an Ulster collection.
xn0MJot.jpg
Mike Robuck

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Really because spoon was not for smelling salts ? or really because post i was referring to was old ?
kj
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The spoon, if you want to call it that was for removing ear wax.
AAPK Janitor
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Mike for the Ellenville Knife Co. info... now I have a new quest to seek... :shock:
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

" spoon, if you want to call it that was for removing ear wax."
People did use smelling salts. Just a tiny amount placed in or at nostril will revive someone in a psychogenic faint. (i.e. not a faint from head injury, blood loss, etc.)
Do you know what type of spoon was used to scoop up a small amount of this powder ?
I have heard the ear wax use mentioned before but i have never seen any reference to it in vintage British literature. Only reference is on a knife forum. Maybe there are vintage print ads that say "ear wax removal scoop" or something similar ?
If i had one i would try it out to see how effective it is.
kj
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Read this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelling_salts

Liquid was very popular, very early on they used crystals like the ones in this 17th century bottle, notice how large the crystals are. All you needed to do was open the bottle stopper and place it under the nostrils of the patient.

I have tried it and it works very well, better than cotton Q-tipps, you can scoop the wax right out with out pushing it in like the Q- tipps. I do have a page from a knife catalog that describes it for removing ear wax, but I would have to look through thousands of pages to find it again ::doh::
Attachments
823px-M0354_1951-23-102_2.jpg
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of this box, I either bought the farm or I scored ::shrug::

I have no idea who the makers are or their condition other than what can be gleaned from this one and only picture :shock:

Life's a gamble ::nod::

P.S. guess which one I am most interested in this lot.
Attachments
56b811dc-b7e5-423a-efcb-e4e318b76037.jpg
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Well Dimitri ::hmm:: ... I would guess that 8 blade congress could be interesting 8) ... The small one on bottom with a flat end looks to be interesting as well - at least to me as I don't recognize the pattern :) I see a couple fruit knives and a proud tip on one - nahhh... Best of luck!!! - make sure you report back whether it is a score or the farm ::nod:: .
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

You guessed it Lee, looking forward to seeing that Congress Knife! :wink:
AAPK Janitor
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Good luck MB ::tu::