Old Pruning and Horticultural Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Pruning and Horticultural Knives

Postby Miller Bro's » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Here's a giant.
Attachments
1 (3).jpg
2 (3).jpg
AAPK Janitor

LongBlade
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby LongBlade » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:12 pm

Dimitri - you're pulling out all the stops now :D - That is nice large hawkbill - one heck of a blade ::tu:: ::tu:: Spring loaded? Or is that just a blade lock off the bolster?

Hope you don't mind me asking or guessing as to location of origin - Spanish or Eastern European? Or neither :lol: ... Interestingly I haven't seen many German hawkbills but that would not be my guess here ::hmm:: ... How about dating of this big boy - early to mid 1900s?

To me I enjoy you sharing these for multiple reasons especially when I am seeing something different and an unknown - good way to learn and good to store away in the ol' noggin for future reference :wink:

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Miller Bro's » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:37 pm

LongBlade wrote:Dimitri - you're pulling out all the stops now - That is nice large hawkbill - one heck of a blade Spring loaded? Or is that just a blade lock off the bolster?

Thanks Lee! No not spring loaded just a conventional back spring and that is a lock to keep it open.

LongBlade wrote:Hope you don't mind me asking or guessing as to location of origin - Spanish or Eastern European? Or neither ... Interestingly I haven't seen many German hawkbills but that would not be my guess here ... How about dating of this big boy - early to mid 1900s?

Don't mind at all I welcome questions ::tu:: There are no marks on this knife at all but I have seen many with French and Spanish marks, so either one would be a good guess as to where it was made. As to a date pre 1930 is as close as I can get.

LongBlade wrote:To me I enjoy you sharing these for multiple reasons especially when I am seeing something different and an unknown - good way to learn and good to store away in the ol' noggin for future reference

Lee, I am glad to share my collection on this forum and glad you are learning as I am sure many others are :D I also really appreciate the time you, and the handful of others, take to reply to just about every post someone makes in this forum ::handshake:: :D :D
AAPK Janitor

wlf
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby wlf » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:46 am

I have a French knife that Dimitri identified, he got lucky :) , that’s got a very hooked hawkbill.
I buy roosters and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

LongBlade
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby LongBlade » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:20 am

Dimitri - ::handshake:: .. Thanks again!! The sharing and knowledge is indeed appreciated by a number of us ::tu:: ...

Lyle - Given all the vineyards in France I can see a big need for hawkbills :) ... When I think about French knives I think most I have seen were horticultural and hawbills.. ::nod::

Meridian_Mike
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Miller Bro's wrote:Here's a giant.

Well..... I recon so!

MAN, what a knife! I bet that joker can cut off a big ole limb.
(even a human limb if you aint careful......)

Mike
:shock:
"...... are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

"She's the Queen of the Silver Dollar,
She rules the smokey Kingdom.
Her sceptre is a wine glass,
and a bar stool is her throne."
Dave and Sugar

BWT

Postby BWT » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:44 pm

George Butler picked this up a couple of weeks ago and never posted it.
Attachments
20181106_141526.jpg
20181106_141537.jpg
20181106_141559.jpg
Bill

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby JohnR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:46 pm

Nice one Bill, looks like as had little use.

BWT

Postby BWT » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks John, I have thought about cleaning it a little.
Bill

djknife13
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby djknife13 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Miller Bro's wrote:Here's a giant.

Dimitri, I have almost the same knife except an inch shorter and horn scales. Mine has "Vincent" over a line dash line, and then a last name I can't read that looks like FKRRAB--. I've never been able to figure out the name of country. I have a number of smaller ones with no name and without steel liners, some lockbacks and some slip joints. I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that they were French and possibly Italian. ___Dave

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Miller Bro's » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:24 pm

BWT wrote:George Butler picked this up a couple of weeks ago and never posted it.

Bill, that's a beauty love the horn handles ::tu:: 8)
AAPK Janitor

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Miller Bro's » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 pm

djknife13 wrote:Dimitri, I have almost the same knife except an inch shorter and horn scales. Mine has "Vincent" over a line dash line, and then a last name I can't read that looks like FKRRAB--. I've never been able to figure out the name of country. I have a number of smaller ones with no name and without steel liners, some lockbacks and some slip joints. I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that they were French and possibly Italian. ___Dave

If you can get me a clear picture of that knife and stamp I may be able to help you identify it. Would also like to see pictures of the other ones you mentioned! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Miller Bro's » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 pm

wlf wrote:I have a French knife that Dimitri identified, he got lucky :) , that’s got a very hooked hawkbill.

Thanks it's certainly different.

Yeah I've been known to get lucky once in a blue moon :wink:
AAPK Janitor

LongBlade
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby LongBlade » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:46 pm

BWT wrote:George Butler picked this up a couple of weeks ago and never posted it.

That’s a beauty of a Hawkbill Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: ... nice full blade with stamp & horn handles - nice score ::nod:: ....

djknife13
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby djknife13 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Miller Bro's wrote:
djknife13 wrote:Dimitri, I have almost the same knife except an inch shorter and horn scales. Mine has "Vincent" over a line dash line, and then a last name I can't read that looks like FKRRAB--. I've never been able to figure out the name of country. I have a number of smaller ones with no name and without steel liners, some lockbacks and some slip joints. I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that they were French and possibly Italian. ___Dave

If you can get me a clear picture of that knife and stamp I may be able to help you identify it. Would also like to see pictures of the other ones you mentioned! ::tu::

Thanks, I'll try to get one tomorrow when I have good light. ____Dave

Return to “Knife Lore”