Wawarsing Historical Society and Knife Museum

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Wawarsing Historical Society and Knife Museum

Post by TripleF »

That was awesome! Thanks for the story and all the pics! I'm in awe!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I found this interesting poem in a 1917 American Cutler magazine.

An Encomium of the Drop-Knife.

No knife is so slick,
It is quick on its trick
And a joy that will last you through life.
There is none 'neath the sun
Just like it, not one,
It's the Schrade Safety Push-Button Knife.

If the button is pressed
The blade does the rest,
Opens out like a thing all alive;
You break no thumb nail
In your efforts-that fail-
If you're owning this Push-Button Knife.

It's the handiest yet,
It is everyone's pet,
And with all good knife merits it's rife.
Its blades are rare steel,
And really ideal
Is this notable Push Button Knife.

It's the very quick pick
Of club, class and clique
Its equal they cannot contrive;
It's a true treasure trove,
And a thing you will love
Is this wonderful Push-Button Knife.

A. W. BELLAW, DeGroff, O.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Right under the poem is this:

The Schrade Cutlery Co. of Walden N.Y.,
advises us that it is in a position to make
immediately deliveries on its famous safety
push-button pocket knives.

Neat stuff! :)
AAPK Janitor
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's some creative marketing right there. ::nod::
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Neat thanks for the posting I just got in from the west coast or would have responded sooner. LT
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I was wondering where you were ::nod::

Hope you had a good trip!
AAPK Janitor
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Vegas on family business. it is not like it was in the old days. it was Ok played cards and drank that is always good. weather was 65 70 degrees and i started to feel like it was spring. I cannot take these winters any more I am locked down with venison, Crown royal, and the fire place see ya next year. Good to be home. Plane trip was a night mare ( for reasons I will not explain ). Vegas is more like Hong Kong or Singapore. A melting pot. I could understand about every third person. Oh yes and there are no OLD POCKET KNIVES. I even went back to a guy who had one at home in a safe he said it was some kind of civil war knife turned out to be an Italian or spanish vendetta style. it was badly engraved with a modern engraving marker to intimate english royal family connection . I saw one Remington about 6 Schrades and imports and imperials. One springless Schrade cut fishtail and a G Schrade pullball both marked to high. The people were nice but mostly uninformed with wrong prices. Perhapes a dozen shops. If not for the big hotels the town would look just like any other southwestern city same stores same plastic. The rodeo was in town but did not get to it. Did run into a couple of good country bands and one old boy that played the Fiddle as good or better than Charlie Daniels, which set the hair up on neck, man he could play.. There you have it I am glad I got it done it was an obligation more than anything. I hope all you guys are OK. LT PS when they told me that there were no knives around anymore I kidded around and told them yep thats because I have them all.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Never been to Vegas, maybe someday or maybe not from what you are telling me.

The best stuff is right around here IMO where the majority of these old knives were made. There is no where as many as there were 20 or more years ago but there are still good finds waiting to be had. I agree most of the knives are locked up in old collections that will someday come to market or end up in a museum. I still find it fun to collect knives but definitely not like it use to be.
AAPK Janitor
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

lt632ret wrote:when they told me that there were no knives around anymore I kidded around and told them yep thats because I have them all.
LT, come on out to the Oregon show in April. No snow, probably Spring weather, and there may even be a couple knives you DON"T have in your collection! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

After the trip I just had I am locked down defcon 5 . The fire, crown , and steaks are nice . Watching the deer outside. But thanks I will think about it.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hello I just wanted to make mention that we will be opening for our second year on memorial day weekend. We have finally got our web site going thanks to an amazing amount of help from Taylor cutlery (Schrade) and the entire Taylor family also Ultimate survival tips who did a utube video for us to get out to the public. the link is theknifemuseum.com We have a few surprises this year a gift shop with at least 200 vintage Schrade and old knives. One display case of old factory leather blades handles ect. One display case will have high end old pieces pearl salesmans samples, calandar knife, automatics ect. Those will all be sold in the Hondurian mahogany display boxes pictured in the old esquire ad. We also plan to have a museum Market at least 6 times this summer all vendors will be member agents of the museum as such due to the law I helped write and get passed ( 8 years dealing with the NYS dysfunctional legislature ). vendors will have more leeway in the types of knives and items they sell. It should be a good place to come and talk and show knives as a member agent you are allowed to own carry and display automatics in Upstate NY. Forget NYC they do not know there own laws themselves. Membership is 25 dollars a year. We will be limited to around 40 vendor spots. I will have more information on this later. It has been 15 years since I wrote my book The Collectors guide to Switchblade knives. My reason for the book was not monetary ( although money is nice ) The object was to eventually to have a legal way to display these artifacts and preserve this history with a museum. I was never sure if this would happen or if I would live to see it. But we now exist. We are a fledgling organization working on a shoestring budget with a handful of people most of which are in there 60tys 70ty or 80ty. So who knows but for now we are here come on out and share some unique American cutlery history. Regards LT Vice President. Curator, Executive board member and I sweep up at night.
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Nice web site--if you look at the pic titled Blade Finishing Room the first two people look like a father & son--
Keep up the good work-nice that Taylor Cutlery is helping out also--
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Jerry, thanks for posting that link. Great video ::tu:: It is now a tossup as to what tops my knife bucket list, visiting the Wawarsing Museum, or attending the OKCA show. :D
Dan
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Going to add this to my list of places to visit, great video. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hello to all just thought I would mention and remind anyone who might have an interest that the Wawarsing Historical and Knife museum is now open on weekends from 10 AM till 4 PM EST. we have added a gift area where original USA vintage knives may be purchased ( mainly Schrades). Aside from assorted New old stock pockets and folders we also have original schrade sheath knives . We also have original sheaths knife blanks, parts ect from the old Schrade plant. This week ( actually it may take a couple of weeks) I am planning on adding a new display case with about a dozen high end pieces. Original henry Baer owned pearl sample gents knifes. ( he used to give these small pearl beautys to some of his executives for Christmas.). Very rarely you may find one with the hand inked salesmans sample numbers. I hope to have an example of each in the new high end display case. Also a rare 1937 calendar knife. Just to name a few. Also Schrade automatic doubles and other stuff that unless spotted at a show is usually never seen especially in one place for sale. All these pieces will be sold in the original Schrade Walden Honduran Mahogany satin lined Schrade walden display boxes that were shown in the old esquire add. These alone are very rare. One piece I hope to put in is a 1613 3/4 Sabre blade Schrade cut large automatic hunter it is in decent ( not perfect condition ) but is being offered with an original Schrade half dozen box for that very knife and is so marked. I also will be putting in some Herman Williams Schrade customs This stuff is for the collector who is serious and understands what i am talking about. The thing I am finding is that some people do not understand that when this stuff is sold I cannot just go out and replace it. Even the USA Schrades have not been made for 12 years some of it is over 100 years old and as such I can only keep the cases full as long as my stock lasts. often when a piece is sold it often cannot be replaced. I am always looking for stock to buy but as we all know it gets rarer and rarer as time goes on. Please keep in mind that any moneys over cost from these items goes to funding for the museum which is non profit. We are also still planning for 6 weekends during the summer in July and August on having a museum Market ( in essence a flea market where we are hoping to attract assorted vendors). I hope to keep you advised as this progresses.

For any one who is familiar with our museum it has taken 15 years to make it a reality. We have done it with a shoestring budget. While we have around 150 members ( remember this is only our second season open ) however there are only a handful of active participating members and the youngest of those are in there 50tys. We need people to become hands on involved or this great American history may still become a lost memory. Foreign interests already make up the vast majority of this industry if we lose the legacy of our history we will have lost even the last vestage of this American heritage. Thanks to a lot of help from the Taylors ( the present owners of Schrade ) our Web site is Theknifemuseum.com is up and running. Please check us out if you havent yet. Frankly in our case we have many more artifacts which should be on display originally I had planned to concentrate heavily on antique and vintage switchblades. ( which are my main area of interest ). However what I found was that my obligation was larger than just automatics but instead inclusive to the entire 175 year history of Knives in the Hudson valley. Luckily my collecting over 60 years has given me the opportunity to acquire all the related needed artifacts. The fact is that even with the area we have I quickly ran out of usable area. The result is that we have plenty of items and displays to add when and if we get the room.

If you have an interest in this history and live in our proximity we urge you to get involved. You will be welcome. if you are in the area please stop in to see us. We also welcome new members our dues are 25 dollars a year and offers among other things certain advantages in the owning and carrying of swithblade knives in NYS. To those of you who have already visited us I hope to see you again and for everyone else i am looking forward to meeting you. Regards to everyone have a great summer . Rich Langston
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Just got back from NY late last night and I made it a point to swing by the museum! Absolutely worth the visit, met up with LT (Rich Langston), Doc Cfat and Eric Albers. Had a fantastic visit with them, also learned a ton of information. I got to see a lot of items that I would not have been able to view, unless it was through photographs, so this was a great experience. I will make the museum one of my regular stops anytime I am within driving distance. This is a must see for all.

I also wanted to Thank LT publicly, as he was able to fill in some of my shortages of Schrade Shortline pages....Thank you so Much LT!

Folks, you all have to get out there for a visit...they have some extremely RARE items and a great display room that will make you drool....don't forget the bib/towel so that you don't get anything on the many displays.

This organization is in desperate need of support! Failure to assist in this endeavor may result in the loss of this fantastic gathering of artifacts!

I am a paid member myself and still did not pass up the donations jar when I left and I will continue to make donations as long as as often as I visit! Let's all help to keep this piece of Cutlery History alive in on public display!!!!!!

Tom
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Thankyou for the nice words I also enjoyed the visit. We had a couple of custom makers come in that day as well as collectors and familys, with young new future collectors. the result was that there were some spirited discussions and it is always great when these folks get together and start showing and telling. It is a battle to get the word out to promote more of this interaction. It is an old story we will not miss our history until it is forgotten and gone. It seems that funding is easy if you are promoting some kind of liberal in vogue topic. Oh well we are still functioning and still viable and alive so it is better than the 15 years it took to get to this point. it is quite rewarding when you see people come in with an interest the young when they realize there heritage. The adults when they begin to understand but mainly the elderly who worked for these companies whos familys made this history for them it is there memorys and seeing them reliving there past often just handing them a knife and listening to the stories other wise lost. Our funding situation is kind of like the fellow who jumps out of a 20 story building around the 10th floor someone yells out to the guy falling. How is it going? the falling guy responds Not bad so far. One day at a time I guess that is really all any of us have. I hope some of you folks get to stop by because nothing lasts forever. If we had the backing we have the artifacts to have 4 times the amount of displays that we have now. Perhapes China will offer some space they could call the display the Rise and fall of the knife industry in the United States. In the mean time we look forward to seeing as many of you as we can. Just one typo I have to correct our presidents name is Craft it was a typo that had it as Cfat . I had to correct that since he is 83 and I do not like getting him angry especially since he is also my chiropractor. Again thanks for the nice words it was great seeing you again. LT
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Sorry about the miss typing, I knew it was Craft.....just fat fingered it and didn't realize it!

Thank you again LT

Tom
pcrcrepaira

Post by pcrcrepaira »

This knife has 3 pyramids engraved on it along with a horse running along a river. It is made of brass and mended together by silver and lead. Can anyone help?
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I believe you may have posted in the wrong area. However with no picture, or tang mark, or further description I have no idea. Sorry ?????
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

orvet (Dale) pointed me to this thread in a phone conversation we had yesterday. Between last night and spare time today, I got through all 16 pages and all I can say is WOW!!!!! I would love to visit the museum. In lieu of that, I made a donation today. I want to send my thanks to all of the people that made this happen.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Thankyou very much for your interest and help. Frankly we are fighting a battle I fear we are destined to lose. There are only a few of us who are active. We have had no assistance from grants and through what we could raise have barely managed to survive these last 3 years. I am the vice president and curator I am 70 our President is 85. Of the handful of people who actually assist in the operation or are on the board the average age is close to 70. If you have read through the thread you know the effort it has taken to get this far. In fact it is amazing. The preservation of American history is not a priority in this day and age. The American people feel the latest electronic doo dad or game is much more important. In Ellenville there is a public library which also houses artifacts which every so often some of which are put on display very rarely. Usually these sit in the basement gathering dust. This organization is fully funded by the state Government. We have no lawyers, no lobbyists and are ill equipted to access these means of funding. We are presently seeking our permanent state charter. it is a labyrinth of beauacratic nonsense the state offers no help and we are under the same requirements as the Museum of natural history in NYC . They have doners , sponsers, govermental support , and millions. Yet we are required to have the same procedures as them. It is insane. With some of the procedures if we accept there plan and follow there criteria the will accept us, However there is a fee for that. Otherwise what ever is submitted is picked apart. It is a with most things to day a set up. If we were a chinese manufactorer with money we could do what ever we wanted. Frankly after decades of arguing with idiot laws, politicans who aside from having no idea of what we are trying to do are often corrupt. It took years to get the knife bill I wrote into law. I was once taken aside and told ( off the record ) why don't you speak to Sheldon Silver. You may have heard of him he is now doing time in jail, of course it took decades for that to happen and he was just the tiny tip of the iceberg. We are going to keep going as long as we can but frankly do not be surprised if one day when you hear of my passing that the obit dosen't say that I was cremated and my funeral pyre consisted of a giant pile of irreplacable antique knives and artifacts. At this stage of the game I feel that if no one else gives a damn about the heritage of there countrys history and the people responsible for it why the hell should I. In the mean time we will do the best we can. We have after 15 years of effort have been open 3 seasons ( Memorial day to Labor day ). We have had some help I especially want to thank the Taylor family who have owned Schrade for the last ten years ( they recently sold to S&W ). Even though there knives were made in China they always helped us keep this American history alive ). We have raffles and do what we can, we keep the museum at 57 degrees in the winter and so far are still planning to open again this year. Assuming we still have our building and overcome all the other problems. Other than that it is all a crap shoot.

OK so all that being said I guess you are sorry you wrote. However I wanted to impress that any donation or compliments of our efforts is received with heart felt appreciation. Should you ever make it to us please introduce yourself and I will personally take you through a tour. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOU INTEREST AND HELP. LT
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Hi Rich,
Thanks for responding! In big round, rough numbers... what does it take on average to operate the museum per year? $10K - $20K for operating expenses?? More? Less? I'm just taking a wild guess. Have you ever heard of GoFundMe??? I think we could mount a campaign to raise money on an ongoing basis. The secret is getting the message out and getting donor numbers up high enough with people willing to spend $20, $50 or $100 per year to keep it up and running.

The age thing is a different problem. That needs to be addressed by getting middle-aged cutlery loving folks involved, that are 100% invested in the concept of museum continuity, curation and history preservation. That needs to be cultivated by the current Board as a solid succession plan.

Apologies! if I've stuck my nose in too far! :wink:

By the way, I've successfully hooked my 29 yr old son into being a knife lover. He's an example of the future of the hobby and what little I've learned so far, I am passing on to him, so he appreciates how all of this happened and why its important.
NRA Life/Endowment
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

We have a base but it is tough to get continuing members year after year to contribute. Obviously we work on getting younger folks involved. Truthfully each year is a little better but it is touch and go. We have scout troops in and really do a lot ( with no money ). We have a knife store which I run at zero profit for me . I supply the knives ( all vintage and antique ) I never know what I can replace anything with because I never know what i will be able to find. I generally lose on each sale ( of my cost ) sometimes i break even that is a good sale. Hopefully this year a custom makers display on consignment. We have gotten pretty creative. I know nothing about the funding mechanism you mentioned. As far as cost you are not far off I would prefer not to give figures here. Any interest or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again LT
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Thanks Rich! You can count on me being a consistent donor. I believe firmly in the importance of this project. For the cost of one, half way decent knife ($50 - $100), I think the benefit of helping the museum, FAR outweighs the loss of the purchase of one knife per year for me. I would much rather see the museum survive.

You should look into GoFundMe... https://www.gofundme.com/tour Once you get your head around it and how it works, then a campaign needs to be created and executed.
NRA Life/Endowment

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”