Wilbert Cutlery

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Wilbert Cutlery

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Ropeman wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:29 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 am The Ritchie and Stewart Knife Collectors Guide I have states the Wilbert name was in existence from 1908-1921.
Just for clarification, please correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding. The Wilbert name was not used on any knives after 1921? Between 08 and 21 several companies made knives and stamped the Wilbert name on them, but there's not documentation to tell which company made which except for comparing unique differences?
That is my understanding. Wilbert Cutlery Co. did not actually exist as a cutlery company, but was a store brand for Sears & Roebuck. I have pictured a close up of the tang stamp on my Wilbert Moose. After a close examination of the two, it looks different than yours. Note the W and how the center point goes all the way up on yours, but not on mine, the R is also different.It would be interesting if others with Wilberts could post close ups of their tang stamps to compare to try to see how many different variations there actually are. If different companies made them, then there should be some variation in tang stamps.
IMG_3335.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

The previous five pages will offer some examples.
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Wilbert Gladiator moose.This is as hefty 4 1/4" cigar moose as you will find.
Attachments
20200217_164120.jpg
20200217_164108.jpg
20200217_164130.jpg
20200217_164145.jpg
20200217_164222.jpg
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Sweet knife ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Roger - I’m seeing a trend with big cigar patterns :D... All from one collection? 8) ..
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Yes.A group of 73 that was collected 30-40 years ago.
Roger
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Good looking Knives your showing ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Great knife, Roger!!

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks guys.
Roger
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

You guys gonna have to stop this or I’m gonna be looking for Wilbert knives now!!!
:D
Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!!
Shawn
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful knife, Roger, love that sabre ground clip! ::tu::
Dan
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Really like that knife Roger. As well as the others you have been showing lately. Thanks for posting. Do you think this one was made by Napanoch?
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

That moose is a big boy. Love the etch
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

JAMESC41001 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 pm Really like that knife Roger. As well as the others you have been showing lately. Thanks for posting. Do you think this one was made by Napanoch?
James,I don't know.I haven't seen a Napanoch moose to compare it to. *
Roger
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Good point. Me neither.
Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

Any other Wilbert knives out there to compare tang stamps with? This is an interesting thread.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, I don’t have a knife to show but I can offer another clue to keep in mind while we Continue our study of “Wilbert” knives. So far for me in looking at Wilbert knives it’s about 50/50 in contrast that many are NOT stamped with “Chicago”. As of now we have 3 different tang stamps that I am aware of. The rare curved stamping and the most common stamping both with and without Chicago. I don’t have any discernible proof but it appears as though the ones stamped with “Chicago” lean towards Napanoch or Empire made especially when I note the similarities between “Jack knife Ben” Chicago!!
I never posted this before and didn’t think much about it until now but several years ago while at Tulsa gun knife show, Mr. Bob Bercher(Florida Bob) & I was looking at a Wilbert knife collection together and he asked me if a particular knife as I was viewing was stamped with “Chicago” or not. I find this to be interesting right now. Funny how you remember something said by our elders as they are very wise indeed!
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

ratlesnake75 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:59 pm Hey Guys, I don’t have a knife to show but I can offer another clue to keep in mind while we Continue our study of “Wilbert” knives. So far for me in looking at Wilbert knives it’s about 50/50 in contrast that many are NOT stamped with “Chicago”. As of now we have 3 different tang stamps that I am aware of. The rare curved stamping and the most common stamping both with and without Chicago. I don’t have any discernible proof but it appears as though the ones stamped with “Chicago” lean towards Napanoch or Empire made especially when I note the similarities between “Jack knife Ben” Chicago!!
I never posted this before and didn’t think much about it until now but several years ago while at Tulsa gun knife show, Mr. Bob Bercher(Florida Bob) & I was looking at a Wilbert knife collection together and he asked me if a particular knife as I was viewing was stamped with “Chicago” or not. I find this to be interesting right now. Funny how you remember something said by our elders as they are very wise indeed!
I recently picked up a box of old junk knives that a friend gave me for parts etc. In checking thru them I noticed this Wilbert. It is a sleeve board pen, steel bolstered, 3 1/4" closed length, arrowhead shield, with bone handles. Unfortunately it is in poor condition, both blades are broken, but it may add something to the data base that is being established here in regard to Wilbert knives and their tang stamps. I think I can say that this is the only sleeve board pen Wilbert I have seen.
IMG_3824.JPG
IMG_3825.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

This Wilbert belongs to a friend of mine, and is unlike any Wilbert I have seen. It is a tip bolster pen, 2 3/4" long with coca bola handles and is missing a blade. The Wilbert tang stamp is straight without any other inclusions such as Cut. Co. as is more commonly seen. I wonder who made this one?
IMG_4026.JPG
IMG_4027.JPG
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

I have picked up a couple Wilberts in my latest absence from AAPK. Nothing mint but HOKs.
Attachments
100_0155.JPG
100_0156.JPG
100_0153.JPG
100_0154.JPG
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Now here's an odd one. 3-5/8" Genuine MOP cattle. Odd combo for a working knife. (Kinda like a mink shovel! :D ) Tangs all stamped WILBERT over
CHICAGO in a thin, block font. Nickel silver bolsters and liners. Pearl is not cracked. It has an odd grain mix both front and back. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2631.jpg
IMG_2632.jpg
IMG_2633.jpg
BWT

Post by BWT »

Definitely unusual! Nice knife though. You would almost think someone added the pearl on later???
Bill
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Can't say for sure. But it's a perfect fit. No evidence of a refit. I've seen other pearl handled "work" knives and they always intrigue me.::shrug:: Probably sold as gift quality items. Never know. I love MOP but it's more suited to a pocketbook than a pocket. J.O'.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

luckydog64 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:45 pm I have picked up a couple Wilberts in my latest absence from AAPK. Nothing mint but HOKs.
Lucky,a couple of fine patterns.If the moose is 4 1/4",it would have had a "Gladiator " etch.
Roger
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:57 pm Can't say for sure. But it's a perfect fit. No evidence of a refit. I've seen other pearl handled "work" knives and they always intrigue me.::shrug:: Probably sold as gift quality items. Never know. I love MOP but it's more suited to a pocketbook than a pocket. J.O'.
I have had several full size cattle knives in pearl.You don't see them every day, but several companies had them.I agree it is kind of a odd handle for a working knife,but Case and Case Brothers made pearl handled toenails. ::tu::
Roger
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great knives, luckdog64. ::tu:: ::tu:: I really like the moose.
Very nice, J.O.'. ::tu::
Dan

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”