Wilbert Cutlery

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
knifegirl888

Re: Wilbert Cutlery

Post by knifegirl888 »

Bret just got this knife today & I thought I would revive an old thread. We were both pretty happy with this old girl..
Attachments
Wilbert Stag Lockback.jpg
Wilbert Stag Lockback1.jpg
Wilbert Stag Lockback2.jpg
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, here's a chance to bring back an old thread.
Bret and Kathy, if you check in; Your old lock back swing guard is beautiful.

Here's a Wilbert Cutlery Co. swell center hunter I got in the mail today. What a spring.
Love the shield. 5 3/8"
Attachments
DSCN0196.JPG
DSCN0197.JPG
DSCN0199.JPG
DSCN0200.JPG
DSCN0203.JPG
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great pickup, Joe. I love those old ebony hunters, nice full blade and, as you stated, great shield. You should post that shield on the shields thread (hasn't been much action on that thread for awhile).
Dan
Dan
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....wow, that IS a neat shield!!!....never seen one like that before!!!!....... ::tu:: ...............
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks guys.
Danno, I did put in the GOT SHIELDS thread. Thanks.
Joe
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Great old knife, Joe! ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a neat old English jack with a Wilbert Stamp. Both blades stamped with curved Wilbert and nothing more. No stamps on pile side. 4 7/16" closed.
Unfortunately some insecure individual drilled a hole near the cap. No doubt to attach a rabbits foot.
I wonder who made this knife.

Thanks for your previous comment, Dave. ::tu::
Attachments
DSCN0877.JPG
DSCN0878.JPG
DSCN0879.JPG
DSCN0881.JPG
DSCN0882.JPG
DSCN0884.JPG
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Joe that blade has a Napanoch look,but I don't know that much about them.I like the shield on that one too.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Lyle.
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

I have a couple. The first is practically unused,2nd is worn. I'm fairly certain these are Camillus,as the Camillus I have is an exact replica ,except handles.

These ,and the older Camillus knife I have like them,have extra thick liners,same blades,etc.. I'll have to get a comp scan,if I can.
Attachments
Wilbert 1.jpg
Wilbert 1115.jpg
Wibert212.jpg
Wilbert 1120.jpg
Wilbert rooster  534.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very handsome knives, Lyle. One of the best looking designs around for sure, in my opinion. ::tu::
Joe
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Joe, that is a really nice find you have there. I too like the shield, as well as the pattern, blade configuration and bone!

Lyle, great examples. Thanks for sharing and describing them, it is very informative.
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you Beechtree. It is an honest old knife.
Joe
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Wanted to post my Wilbert Saddlehorn,,,Its up on the Auction Block for ANYONE to have it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302306888742?ss ... 1555.l2649
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Here are a couple Nice old Wilberts that I can post for your viewing pleasure. Thank you aapk for being a wonderful antique knife site(its the Best in the World in my opinion).

Both knives are Super Nice & Rare to me. The Gun-stock Easy Open was featured in the 1908 or 1909 Catalog by Sears(bottom left corner). Very cool pattern huh

I especially like the Early "Curved" stamping on the Dogleg
Enjoy my friends
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
wilbert.jpg
wilbert1.jpg
003.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful pair of knives, Mark! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thanks Mr. Dan!!! Hard to beat these old Wilberts,,,they were a Real workhorse
Mark
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey guys, Here is a Wilbert knife with a Locking punch. What I find interesting is that our knife books say "Wilbert" knives made by "Napanoch & Empire" but as we know other company's made these knives too for Sears. Very seldom do we actually come across a "Prime Example with Proof" of who made the knife,,,Mostly we just speculate. However, There is NO denying that Camillus made this Wilbert. The Punch has a Patent on it by Camillus Cutlery. The punch is stamped "Patented Aug, 11th 1908 No. 895778". This punch is rather totally flat on the front and the backside is curved. I have 2 other Different examples to go along with this interesting knife.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
100_7644.JPG
100_7651.JPG
100_7645.JPG
100_7658.JPG
100_7665.JPG
100_7679.JPG
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, This Wilbert knife is the Exact same pattern w/ same blade configuration, same handles, same total length as my previous knife but Different shield and an easy open spot to get to the "LOCKING" punch. However on this knife, The punch blade is not stamped at all and the punch looks a little different.

My Last picture shows another Example that is missing the master blade and the knife is coming apart,,,But its got a shield that resembles the 1st knife and sports the easy open spot of the 2nd knife,,,and still yet,, the Punch is totally different than the other 2,,,Non Locking punch. I thought this was pretty cool
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
100_7680.JPG
100_7682.JPG
100_7681.JPG
100_7685.JPG
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Great-looking knives, Mark. I've always liked that pattern. 8)
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thanks Dave, I forgot to add that this pattern is shown in the Wilbert Catalog,,,I circled it in Red.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
006.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You've been posting some really nice Wilbert's lately Mark! Thanks for the show. ::tu:: I let a Wilbert TL-29 with bone covers on it get away a few yeas ago and gave regretted it ever since. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I believe this is an example of the Wilbert cattle knife that is partially shown in the top right corner of the catalog page. All of the tangs are marked. My guess is that it was made by Napanoch.
Attachments
Wilbert 3 Blade Cattle Knife
Wilbert 3 Blade Cattle Knife
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Jerry that would be my assumption also.The folding hunter FRJ/Joe posted on page 2 was made by Challenge. The shield is the tell .
Roger
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Camillus made similar knives. Here is one from AAPK that sports the same shield as the catalog cut.
Attachments
Camillus cattle.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”