Wilbert Cutlery

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Wilbert Cutlery

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful pair of knives, Mark! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thanks Mr. Dan!!! Hard to beat these old Wilberts,,,they were a Real workhorse
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey guys, Here is a Wilbert knife with a Locking punch. What I find interesting is that our knife books say "Wilbert" knives made by "Napanoch & Empire" but as we know other company's made these knives too for Sears. Very seldom do we actually come across a "Prime Example with Proof" of who made the knife,,,Mostly we just speculate. However, There is NO denying that Camillus made this Wilbert. The Punch has a Patent on it by Camillus Cutlery. The punch is stamped "Patented Aug, 11th 1908 No. 895778". This punch is rather totally flat on the front and the backside is curved. I have 2 other Different examples to go along with this interesting knife.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
100_7644.JPG
100_7651.JPG
100_7645.JPG
100_7658.JPG
100_7665.JPG
100_7679.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, This Wilbert knife is the Exact same pattern w/ same blade configuration, same handles, same total length as my previous knife but Different shield and an easy open spot to get to the "LOCKING" punch. However on this knife, The punch blade is not stamped at all and the punch looks a little different.

My Last picture shows another Example that is missing the master blade and the knife is coming apart,,,But its got a shield that resembles the 1st knife and sports the easy open spot of the 2nd knife,,,and still yet,, the Punch is totally different than the other 2,,,Non Locking punch. I thought this was pretty cool
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
100_7680.JPG
100_7682.JPG
100_7681.JPG
100_7685.JPG
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Great-looking knives, Mark. I've always liked that pattern. 8)
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thanks Dave, I forgot to add that this pattern is shown in the Wilbert Catalog,,,I circled it in Red.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
006.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You've been posting some really nice Wilbert's lately Mark! Thanks for the show. ::tu:: I let a Wilbert TL-29 with bone covers on it get away a few yeas ago and gave regretted it ever since. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I believe this is an example of the Wilbert cattle knife that is partially shown in the top right corner of the catalog page. All of the tangs are marked. My guess is that it was made by Napanoch.
Attachments
Wilbert 3 Blade Cattle Knife
Wilbert 3 Blade Cattle Knife
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Jerry that would be my assumption also.The folding hunter FRJ/Joe posted on page 2 was made by Challenge. The shield is the tell .
Roger
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Camillus made similar knives. Here is one from AAPK that sports the same shield as the catalog cut.
Attachments
Camillus cattle.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Wayne, now I'm thinking my knife might have been made by Camillus :) ::hmm::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Jerry the shield is different.
Roger
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

peanut740 wrote:Jerry the shield is different.
Yeah I noticed that and the pen blade is a little different (maybe from sharpening), but the handles look identical. When I get to my computer I'll take a closer look on my big screen.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Mumbleypeg wrote:You've been posting some really nice Wilbert's lately Mark! Thanks for the show. ::tu:: I let a Wilbert TL-29 with bone covers on it get away a few yeas ago and gave regretted it ever since. ::dang::

Ken
Found a picture of that bone handled Wilbert TL-29 I let get away. ::facepalm::

Ken
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a Wilbert lockback I have had for a while. Dark spot on the bolster is a reflection.
Attachments
IMG_5126[1].JPG
IMG_5128[1].JPG

Wayne

espn77

Post by espn77 »

I know anything about Wilbert knives but that knife you have Wayne is amazing!!!!!!
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:You've been posting some really nice Wilbert's lately Mark! Thanks for the show. ::tu:: I let a Wilbert TL-29 with bone covers on it get away a few yeas ago and gave regretted it ever since. ::dang::

Ken
Found a picture of that bone handled Wilbert TL-29 I let get away. ::facepalm::

Ken
image.jpeg
Thanks Mr. Ken, That sure is a very weird looking TL-29 and the 1st one I had ever seen like it,,,Now I know why you regret letting it get away from you. Its so difficult to be a Seller when we have the LOVE for the knives.
Kind Regards,
Mark
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Thought I would post another "Wilbert" find,,One blade broke as you can see. I never seen this pattern before
All blades stamped with "Wilbert" without the Chicago.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

espn77 wrote:I know anything about Wilbert knives but that knife you have Wayne is amazing!!!!!!
I'll second that! If you go back to the first page of this old thread, toward the bottom is a post with a picture of another like it. Same saddlehorn jack pattern and beautiful worm-groove bone as Wayne's knife. Goins Encyclopedia has a reproduction 1908 Sears catalog cut of what looks like this same knife, says it was called an "Arkansas Lock Blade Hunter".

Keith, Wilbert was a premium cutlery brand name of Sears, Roebuck & Co. in first half of the 1900s. Goins says c 1908-1921. Knives were made by Napanoch among others.

Ken

Edit: Mark, that's another Wilbert pattern I had not seen previously either. Another fine example. I'm gonna guess it was made by Camillus?

Here's a Wilbert gunstock whittler I've posted pictures of before but since this old Wilbert thread has resurfaced, I'll post it here for posterity.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

thefarside

Post by thefarside »

Wayne, I have a cousin to the saddlehorn you posted photos of recently.
Attachments
DSCN3931[1].JPG
DSCN3934[1].JPG
outkast

Post by outkast »

Not much etch left but it's still a little there. Was at the 2017 Blade Show it is the only one of these I've ever seen. So you know what happened next I had to bring it home with me.
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 1.jpg
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 2.jpg
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 3.jpg
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 4.jpg
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 5.jpg
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 7.jpg
thefarside

Post by thefarside »

Outkast, Very nice knife!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Good looking cousin! There goes my weakness for 4 1/4" double ended jacks kicking in!

Wayne

ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

outkast wrote:Not much etch left but it's still a little there. Was at the 2017 Blade Show it is the only one of these I've ever seen. So you know what happened next I had to bring it home with me.
Beautiful Gladiator knife!!! Just curious where the 72c Catalog Cut came from???
Kind Regards,
Mark
outkast

Post by outkast »

ratlesnake75 wrote:
outkast wrote:Not much etch left but it's still a little there. Was at the 2017 Blade Show it is the only one of these I've ever seen. So you know what happened next I had to bring it home with me.
Beautiful Gladiator knife!!! Just curious where the 72c Catalog Cut came from???
Kind Regards,
Mark
From a Sears Catalog #124 which was 1912. For anyone who doesn't know from what I've read Wilbert was a contract knife made for Sears Roebuck & Co. by Napanoch and/or Empire.

https://archive.org/stream/catalogno124 ... 6/mode/2up

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”