Northfield

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Re: Northfield

Post by LongBlade »

That is a cool photo Dan ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I have that saved image but never posted it - it actually is a cutlery in Thierry France .. in order to keep their legs warm their dogs would lay on them... also I believe laying down to do the grinding alleviated back pain etc...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thanks for that information Lee ::tu:: ::nod::
WOW...Thierry France! (Farther East than I assumed)
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Old Folder wrote:I downloaded the below picture a long time ago from the web. I could find no reference as to its location or date but I assume it was taken from an Eastern American knife factory?
These gentlemen appear to be very content with their occupation and well fed. Man's best friend also seem happy.
Would they be called "Grinders?"
The natural lighting is excellent.

23737863_155050831913225_8960729153911340259_o.jpg
Old Folder, I saw an etch on a knife blade of a man grinding knives like that. I can't remember the brand, maybe a Boker. It made me tired looking at them.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I agree doglegg.
These ole boys were very tough in those days.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Interesting photo Dan. Surprised how deep in the well they have to stretch.
Lee you have a good eye. It is a lamp hanging there. The Honk Falls power house went into operation 1898. It was less then a mile up the road. They list the Napanoch knife co. As one of there first customers. Rhett Stidam says in his book that Nsp started using water power. In fact it was probably both. When water was good they would use that as it was cheaper.
3961E7C1-C915-4FC5-9144-51922E8BAA75.jpeg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Another nice pic Jay ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Certainly seemed to make sense once electricity was available to supplement with water power - I imagine the steam engines which ran the factories were not removed with the advent of electricity..
Old Folder wrote:Thanks for that information Lee ::tu:: ::nod::
Here's another photo but it says Thiers as a location (so now I am thinking perhaps the other photo was Theirs and not Thierry - not sure) ... This may or not be the same cutlery ::shrug:: but obviously same work conditions with their dogs :D

Actually if I remember correctly what I read was that laying down was much more comfortable in addition to some ergonomic consideration..

(Wow - we are off track from Northfield but can't help ourselves ::dang:: ...
Thiers France Cutlers IMG_8567.JPG

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Looks like a prison camp
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Those pictures show a pretty rough work environment.
And snakes too. ::paranoid::
In Lee's picture the fellow in the back is partaking of that preventative snake bite medicine. ::woot::
Joe
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

I dont normally go out looking for this pattern, but I also don't pass up a Northfield.
Attachments
20191121_181824.jpg
20191121_181839.jpg
20191121_181956.jpg
20191121_172932.jpg
Ike
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice Ike ::tu:: ::tu:: I'm like you, I wouldn't pass on a Northfield either, good find!!
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Waukonda wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:27 am I dont normally go out looking for this pattern, but I also don't pass up a Northfield.
Waukonda, I think you did the right thing. ::tu::
That is a very nice old Northfield in a very sophisticated pattern. ::nod::

Thanks for showing it here.
Joe
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Thank you, Bill and Joe.
Ike
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful knife, Ike! ::tu:: Pachyderm tooth handles to boot!
Dan
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

I just discovered this distinctive Thread.

Don’t get me wrong; this Forum is loaded with great Threads. Launching this one, as FRJ has done, with original “field research”, by going out to the site of this abandoned knife company and to report what remains alongside Northfield Brook adds a welcome dash of visual scope to our indoor hobby.

And super examples of vintage knives, Northfield, Excelsior, have followed in profusion – - many in surprisingly high condition; as well-as an illustrated re-visit to the scene and up-date by FRJ and LongBlade .

I do not believe copyright law allows me to reproduce it, but under "Northfield, Connecticut", in Wikipedia, prominent are references to the former knife manufactory ("shop", in old New England parlance) and the public park that exists there today. Maybe someone on here has had a hand in that.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this Thread.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you for your post stumpstalker.
The Northfield site is indeed a state park. Mercifully the state has done nothing to "improve" the area.
It looks, I assume, as it did when the buildings were removed from the foundations. However that happened.
I hope for a return visit to the area soon.
I'm glad you enjoyed the thread.
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

LongBlade wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:36 pm Another nice pic Jay ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Certainly seemed to make sense once electricity was available to supplement with water power - I imagine the steam engines which ran the factories were not removed with the advent of electricity..
Old Folder wrote:Thanks for that information Lee ::tu:: ::nod::
Here's another photo but it says Thiers as a location (so now I am thinking perhaps the other photo was Theirs and not Thierry - not sure) ... This may or not be the same cutlery ::shrug:: but obviously same work conditions with their dogs :D

Actually if I remember correctly what I read was that laying down was much more comfortable in addition to some ergonomic consideration..

(Wow - we are off track from Northfield but can't help ourselves ::dang:: ...

Thiers France Cutlers IMG_8567.JPG

Might as well be rowing a Spanish Galley. :shock:
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

This Northfield is why I love collecting vintage knives, never know what you will find. Bought it last week and when I received it I did a light cleaning, I have a method that removes dirt and grime but does not damage the patina, I have had etches appear that were not there. That was the case with this Northfield, I knew about the light UNXLD etch but what appeared with the light cleaning was a "Northfield Saber Blade" etch, for me it puts this already rare 3 1/2" coke bottle jack way over the top.
This is my first Northfield, have been trying to land one for years but always miss out, it was worth the wait.
Attachments
IMG_2548.jpeg
IMG_2542.jpeg
IMG_2544.jpeg
IMG_2538.jpeg
TPK

Post by TPK »

JohnR wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:58 pm This Northfield is why I love collecting vintage knives, never know what you will find. Bought it last week and when I received it I did a light cleaning, I have a method that removes dirt and grime but does not damage the patina, I have had etches appear that were not there. That was the case with this Northfield, I knew about the light UNXLD etch but what appeared with the light cleaning was a "Northfield Saber Blade" etch, for me it puts this already rare 3 1/2" coke bottle jack way over the top.
This is my first Northfield, have been trying to land one for years but always miss out, it was worth the wait.
Very cool find John! ::tu:: Congrats! ::handshake:: :D Truely a beautiful piece of cutlery! ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Sweet Northfield John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Northfields are not the easiest knife to find particularly in good condition - I think many reside in collections... nonetheless can I ask what your method is for cleaning?? - as I prefer the gentle cleaning myself that preserves patina etc I am curious as to how you approach it my friend - especially how it brought out the etch ::nod:: ...
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

LongBlade wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:10 pm Sweet Northfield John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Northfields are not the easiest knife to find particularly in good condition - I think many reside in collections... nonetheless can I ask what your method is for cleaning?? - as I prefer the gentle cleaning myself that preserves patina etc I am curious as to how you approach it my friend - especially how it brought out the etch ::nod:: ...

Lee, I settled on using 1500 to 2500 grit metal polishing sandpaper and only using light pressure, I wipe it down several times with Balistol and a microfiber cloth as I'm doing it. I was a little nervous at first but so far it has brought out any remaining etch and does not appear to scratch blades. You could not even see the etch on the Northfield before I started on it, I was very surprised to say the least.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

What a great find, John! Really nice one.
Ike
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

JohnR wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:14 pm
LongBlade wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:10 pm Sweet Northfield John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Northfields are not the easiest knife to find particularly in good condition - I think many reside in collections... nonetheless can I ask what your method is for cleaning?? - as I prefer the gentle cleaning myself that preserves patina etc I am curious as to how you approach it my friend - especially how it brought out the etch ::nod:: ...

Lee, I settled on using 1500 to 2500 grit metal polishing sandpaper and only using light pressure, I wipe it down several times with Balistol and a microfiber cloth as I'm doing it. I was a little nervous at first but so far it has brought out any remaining etch and does not appear to scratch blades. You could not even see the etch on the Northfield before I started on it, I was very surprised to say the least.
Thanks John - sounds and looks like it worked very well ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I've basically used fine steel wool (0000) and oil which removes basically dirt but does not touch patina (and nothing will remove black spider marks except the dreaded buffer :( which will never happen on my watch or many others I know such as yourself :D ) - but I am always hesitant to touch any blade with an etch but it seems to me you hit on something very worthwhile given you couldn't read the etch prior to cleaning - Cool 8) ::tu:: ... Thanks again ::handshake:: ..

Post by FRJ »

John, you have a real beauty there. A wonderful pattern.
Thanks for asking about the cleaning, Lee.
I was curious myself and it, along with the gorgeous knife, contributes nicely to the thread.

Thanks for the great show, John.
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

FRJ wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:56 am John, you have a real beauty there. A wonderful pattern.
Thanks for asking about the cleaning, Lee.
I was curious myself and it, along with the gorgeous knife, contributes nicely to the thread.

Thanks for the great show, John.

Thank you Joe, appreciate the comments ::tu:: ::tu::

Here is a picture of the knife before cleaning, I think I removed just enough of the 100 years or more grime without losing the history behind the knife.
Attachments
119431170_3486665878031049_5997938671631800356_n (1).jpeg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I wonder if anyone would be interested in these polishing papers.

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-M-Ite-Polish ... 7360&psc=1

I have had mine for a few years but I haven't used them.
Attachments
DSCN4510.JPG
DSCN4511.JPG
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”