Old and Obscure Brands

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Old and Obscure Brands

Post by Papa Bones »

Gunsil wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:05 pm Here's a hard one to find, a Kipsi Kut from Poughkeepsie, NY. Some wear to main blade, great snap, I'd been looking for one for many years.

96AA3479-A0A2-4F38-A2D0-9CB633B3F3FF.jpeg02E5C2B4-759B-44D9-BC4F-8A03084CE8E1.jpeg9622434F-1398-4174-A9FE-147980030383.jpeg
Beautiful knife. Congrats on a great find!! ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

PAXTON & GALLAGHER, Hardware wholesaler, 1864-1959, Omaha, NE. Pen blade snapped, slightly unique shield. 3-1/2", nice bone. brass liners,
iron bolsters. Maker unknown. Anybody have one? Like to know more. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2446.jpg
IMG_2448.jpg
IMG_2449.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:28 pm PAXTON & GALLAGHER, Hardware wholesaler, 1864-1959, Omaha, NE. Pen blade snapped, slightly unique shield. 3-1/2", nice bone. brass liners,
iron bolsters. Maker unknown. Anybody have one? Like to know more. J.O'.
Ridge, check your PMs. I sent you one a couple days ago.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Wilco.
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

VERITABLE CHOTON

Found on ebay and it was really dirty, seller offered it to me at 30% off original ask. Unfortunately the small blade was missing a chunk and the "Veritable" script in the Brand Name was gone. Needed a test bed for the sake of cleaning and I liked the look of it so I took the offer. Knife was very dirty and it was hard to open the blades and there was no "snap" initially.

My first few attempts at cleaning did not work (first a soapy bath, then a WD40 bath, then a more drastic attempt with Rust Oleum and letting soak for an hour) and I unfortunately had to sand it in the end. After sanding everything I used Can-o-Air to free up any particles and then finished with another WD40 bath to loosen up everything.

Here are the before pics.
Attachments
s-l1600 (9).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
"But men labor under a mistake. The better part of the man is soon plowed into the soil for compost." Henry David Thoreau
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

.....and here are the after cleaning pictures. Still need to thoroughly sharpen the main blade, but the saw teeth appear unused and are quite sharp as is. While not pictured all blades/pieces open all the way and all sit firmly at half-stop. The small blade has wobble when closed and opened, but the other items are all excellent closed/half/open and are firm to open and have very strong "snap".
Attachments
IMG_E0355.JPG
IMG_E0354.JPG
IMG_E0353.JPG
IMG_E0352.JPG
IMG_E0348.JPG
"But men labor under a mistake. The better part of the man is soon plowed into the soil for compost." Henry David Thoreau
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

To be clear I don't plan on so drastic a clean on the old knives I pickup, but with this one I needed to know that I could if needed on any rusty/dirty knife.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Yomagn'tho wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:47 pm To be clear I don't plan on so drastic a clean on the old knives I pickup, but with this one I needed to know that I could if needed on any rusty/dirty knife.
Good job!
Cool old knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

According to Goins,dates from ca.1900-1920.E.Felsenheld Maker New York.4 1/2" jack.
Attachments
16160870100347901706653015842119.jpg
16160870360384367050848636936530.jpg
16160870604977692193860033965870.jpg
16160870809389052423337737429784.jpg
16160871127977875002581381205274.jpg
Roger
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Nice, Roger. The jigging reminded me of Schrade.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

ObsidianEdge wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:28 pm Nice, Roger. The jigging reminded me of Schrade.
Mike,it's similar, but different. It pre-dates that style of Schrade jigging.
Roger
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Roger, you don't have a knife collection, you have a knife museum. ::nod:: ::nod::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice one, Roger. ::tu:: That is interesting jigging, two directional kind of like a basket weave.
Dan
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Yomagn'tho, you did a great job in cleaning and restoring that knife! I know we shudder at the thought of sanding rare antique knives, but sometimes the poor condition leaves you no choice.
There is a big difference between cleaning off rust, and over-buffing a knife "just to make it shiny"!
You did well!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
BWT

Post by BWT »

Good job Yomagn, looks good! Beautiful old obscure knife for sure Roger ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks Bill.
Roger
TPK

Post by TPK »

peanut740 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:05 pm According to Goins,dates from ca.1900-1920.E.Felsenheld Maker New York.4 1/2" jack.
Beautiful find Roger! ::tu:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

Reverand wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:54 am Yomagn'tho, you did a great job in cleaning and restoring that knife! I know we shudder at the thought of sanding rare antique knives, but sometimes the poor condition leaves you no choice.
There is a big difference between cleaning off rust, and over-buffing a knife "just to make it shiny"!
You did well!
Thanks Reverand, appreciate it ::tu::
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

A.A. FISHER

I will have to look for a better example, but I slicked this one up pretty fast. Goins 2nd Edition doesn't list it so I am not sure about it's date or anything for that matter. I think the scales are bakelite (looks & feels) so it would be post 1909. Sorry I was having a difficult time getting focus on the makers mark and couldn't find my magnifying glass.

A couple questions though:

1. How does the collecting community feel about reshaping an already damaged blade? Obviously leaving a knife as untouched is ideal, closest to factory as possible, but if the damage already exists? With this one I will leave the smaller blade alone as the main one will be all I need.
2. Apart from Goin's are there any books that will help shed light on the different knife makers?
Attachments
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

Yomagn'tho wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:56 am A.A. FISHER

I will have to look for a better example, but I slicked this one up pretty fast. Goins 2nd Edition doesn't list it so I am not sure about it's date or anything for that matter. I think the scales are bakelite (looks & feels) so it would be post 1909. Sorry I was having a difficult time getting focus on the makers mark and couldn't find my magnifying glass.

1. How does the collecting community feel about reshaping an already damaged blade? Obviously leaving a knife as untouched is ideal, closest to factory as possible, but if the damage already exists? With this one I will leave the smaller blade alone as the main one will be all I need.
2. Apart from Goin's are there any books that will help shed light on the different knife makers?
Rebuilding the blade or not depends on the purpose of the knife. Do you want to use it or just store it in a collection. Of course, when replacing the blade, authenticity will be lost, but maybe it makes sense.
BWT

Post by BWT »

That’s a nice ole obscure brand for sure, thanks for showing. I usually don’t try to change the blade shape unless maybe it’s a really small nick. I would probably make it worse. If it is a old knife I got for my collection I’m never going to use it and it already served it purpose unfortunately for the person that abused it.
Bill
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

::welcome:: to AAPK.
For Sheffield knives, "Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740 - 2013" is excellent. For German knives, Carter's "German Knife and Sword Makers 1850 to 1945" is the best. There are about 5 Fishers listed in Tweedale's, but no A.A. There is one listing for "Fischer" in Carter's, but, no mention of A.A. It was a mark used by Paul Kohl.
Dan
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

danno50 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:21 pm

::welcome:: to AAPK.
For Sheffield knives, "Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740 - 2013" is excellent. For German knives, Carter's "German Knife and Sword Makers 1850 to 1945" is the best. There are about 5 Fishers listed in Tweedale's, but no A.A. There is one listing for "Fischer" in Carter's, but, no mention of A.A. It was a mark used by Paul Kohl.
Thanks for the welcome and the info Dan
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

This is one that I would never have had a clue about if it was not for AAPK, John Chatillon & Sons. It has some wear but so do I. Thanks
Attachments
100_0157.JPG
100_0179.JPG
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Wear or not it’s a really good find, my kinda ole knife ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”