Old and Obscure Brands

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old and Obscure Brands

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks Bill.
Roger
TPK

Post by TPK »

peanut740 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:05 pm According to Goins,dates from ca.1900-1920.E.Felsenheld Maker New York.4 1/2" jack.
Beautiful find Roger! ::tu:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

Reverand wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:54 am Yomagn'tho, you did a great job in cleaning and restoring that knife! I know we shudder at the thought of sanding rare antique knives, but sometimes the poor condition leaves you no choice.
There is a big difference between cleaning off rust, and over-buffing a knife "just to make it shiny"!
You did well!
Thanks Reverand, appreciate it ::tu::
"But men labor under a mistake. The better part of the man is soon plowed into the soil for compost." Henry David Thoreau
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

A.A. FISHER

I will have to look for a better example, but I slicked this one up pretty fast. Goins 2nd Edition doesn't list it so I am not sure about it's date or anything for that matter. I think the scales are bakelite (looks & feels) so it would be post 1909. Sorry I was having a difficult time getting focus on the makers mark and couldn't find my magnifying glass.

A couple questions though:

1. How does the collecting community feel about reshaping an already damaged blade? Obviously leaving a knife as untouched is ideal, closest to factory as possible, but if the damage already exists? With this one I will leave the smaller blade alone as the main one will be all I need.
2. Apart from Goin's are there any books that will help shed light on the different knife makers?
Attachments
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
"But men labor under a mistake. The better part of the man is soon plowed into the soil for compost." Henry David Thoreau
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

Yomagn'tho wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:56 am A.A. FISHER

I will have to look for a better example, but I slicked this one up pretty fast. Goins 2nd Edition doesn't list it so I am not sure about it's date or anything for that matter. I think the scales are bakelite (looks & feels) so it would be post 1909. Sorry I was having a difficult time getting focus on the makers mark and couldn't find my magnifying glass.

1. How does the collecting community feel about reshaping an already damaged blade? Obviously leaving a knife as untouched is ideal, closest to factory as possible, but if the damage already exists? With this one I will leave the smaller blade alone as the main one will be all I need.
2. Apart from Goin's are there any books that will help shed light on the different knife makers?
Rebuilding the blade or not depends on the purpose of the knife. Do you want to use it or just store it in a collection. Of course, when replacing the blade, authenticity will be lost, but maybe it makes sense.
BWT

Post by BWT »

That’s a nice ole obscure brand for sure, thanks for showing. I usually don’t try to change the blade shape unless maybe it’s a really small nick. I would probably make it worse. If it is a old knife I got for my collection I’m never going to use it and it already served it purpose unfortunately for the person that abused it.
Bill
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

::welcome:: to AAPK.
For Sheffield knives, "Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740 - 2013" is excellent. For German knives, Carter's "German Knife and Sword Makers 1850 to 1945" is the best. There are about 5 Fishers listed in Tweedale's, but no A.A. There is one listing for "Fischer" in Carter's, but, no mention of A.A. It was a mark used by Paul Kohl.
Dan
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

danno50 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:21 pm

::welcome:: to AAPK.
For Sheffield knives, "Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740 - 2013" is excellent. For German knives, Carter's "German Knife and Sword Makers 1850 to 1945" is the best. There are about 5 Fishers listed in Tweedale's, but no A.A. There is one listing for "Fischer" in Carter's, but, no mention of A.A. It was a mark used by Paul Kohl.
Thanks for the welcome and the info Dan
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

This is one that I would never have had a clue about if it was not for AAPK, John Chatillon & Sons. It has some wear but so do I. Thanks
Attachments
100_0157.JPG
100_0179.JPG
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Wear or not it’s a really good find, my kinda ole knife ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

What Bill said ::tu:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Absolutely wonderful old knife. Congrats. ::nod:: ::nod::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great old knife, luckydog, interesting shield. ::tu::
Dan
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Chatillion owned Phoenix Knife Co.That's who made yours. ::tu::
Roger
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Thanks a lot guys. I didnt know that peanut. That is good to know and I will look out for that name too. Blades Guides says Phoenix was Central City Knife. Never seen one of those either.
Steelie99

Post by Steelie99 »

Not sure how obscure it is, but I have a Marttiini brand knife from around the 1960s, as best as I can tell. I picked her up at a yard sale for a buck. Thsi knife is a handy fishing knife. She needs a little work on the handle.
Attachments
20210330_155727.jpg
20210330_155814_HDR.jpg
20210330_155741.jpg
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

My lucky day. 5 bucks at the flea market. All four blades stamped HOLLEY MFG Co. LAKE VILLE. Top and lower liners worked. Who cares about a little crack.
Attachments
5B380B94-BBDC-4E84-BB7B-9E2D7C67B2D8.jpeg
1829C8E5-9ABF-400D-8195-7B83688BEF37.jpeg
451BB6C2-BAA1-48AB-BD86-FA9DEAF8C76A.jpeg
09E36306-83B8-4EC4-86CA-4E6581D47E26.jpeg
AF8A5A8E-5BCE-442D-9B8E-279CC6E5A2BB.jpeg
4AC710EA-A654-4E06-B9CC-D96209C99452.jpeg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Those Martini's are great fillet knives. They're sold as RAPALA's and are still around. . ::tu::

That HOLLEY is a peach! Don't find many of those. Super quality ::tu::
J.O'.
BWT

Post by BWT »

That’s a good looking Holley, and for 5.00 :D :D
Bill
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Thanks, my first one.
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

W&G Vogel didn`t only make pocket knives . I never found out much about them but thought I should show this one .. Stamped W&G Vogel Elberfeld with the tongs.
Attachments
IMG_1339.JPG
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

I would say its about 1900 - 1918
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a fine old Holley, Jacknifeben.
You stole it! :D
Joe
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Nice rescue JKB. Petekuhn that is a major slab of stag you got. Is that a switchblade? I would like to see all of it. Those bolsters look unique also.
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

16 inches when open
Attachments
IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”